Bowling Basin yesterday

Showcase your photographs - this will be split between Glasgow photography and everything else.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Bowling Basin yesterday

Postby e2wufos1 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 4:47 pm

Some of the old wrecks in Bowling Harbour it's so sad to see these once proud ships of the Clyde go this way.

e2wufos1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby allyharp » Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:10 pm

I can't believe that ship in the first pic is STILL there! I remember when it was in a slightly more buoyant state. I used to know what it was called but can't remember now.
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby e2wufos1 » Sun Aug 27, 2006 5:47 pm

thanks for the reply would like to know the name of it if you can ever remeber it :) come to think of it i would like to know if theres anyway of finding out the names of any of the wrecks in the basin.

jim
e2wufos1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby allyharp » Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:41 pm

The people over at clydeshipping.co.uk know everything about ships and boats around Glasgow, that's where I found out first time. I'm sure it's been posted on this board though.
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ninatoo » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:41 pm

Thanks for posting these e2. My ggg grandfather was a canal lock keeper at Bowling Harbour, so I am always interested to see pictures of the area, even as dismal as these wrecks are.

Nina
ninatoo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby jonathan_c » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:40 pm

One i got from bowling

Critisism welcome :) n i will hopefully get better at taking shots
jonathan_c
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby e2wufos1 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:05 pm

Thats a nice photo mate when did you take it if you don't mind me asking

Jim
e2wufos1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby jonathan_c » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:10 pm

e2wufos1 wrote:Thats a nice photo mate when did you take it if you don't mind me asking

Jim

20th of july i took it same with this one
jonathan_c
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby e2wufos1 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:14 pm

Yeah saw that one on Saturday when I was there but I was in too much pain that I couldn't even attempt to walk along to it after walking from the train station and going along to where the other wrecks were.

I didn't realise the distance from the train station back to the basin.
e2wufos1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby jonathan_c » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:36 pm

e2wufos1 wrote:Yeah saw that one on Saturday when I was there but I was in too much pain that I couldn't even attempt to walk along to it after walking from the train station and going along to where the other wrecks were.

I didn't realise the distance from the train station back to the basin.

I had an 11mile cycle to get there for these pics seen as i was bored that day and a lovely 11miles home with it raining most of the way ::):
jonathan_c
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby e2wufos1 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 7:37 am

Just reminded me of my younger days there :) I used to cycle from Barlanark in the East End to Balloch every summer doing the Bobath cycle run and at other times just for the hell of it.

Infact the strange coincidence was that the bike run was on in Saturday when I was there didn't look as many cyclists as when I done it though.

Can't do it now due to a back injury and can't walk far as i'm in too much pain thats why I don't get out to photograph a lot.

Jim
e2wufos1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby jonathan_c » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:12 am

e2wufos1 wrote:Just reminded me of my younger days there :) I used to cycle from Barlanark in the East End to Balloch every summer doing the Bobath cycle run and at other times just for the hell of it.

Infact the strange coincidence was that the bike run was on in Saturday when I was there didn't look as many cyclists as when I done it though.

Can't do it now due to a back injury and can't walk far as i'm in too much pain thats why I don't get out to photograph a lot.

Jim

Think i'll be due another cycle out to falkirk soon so i'll see if i can find any nice shots from there, anyone know some nice places not too far from the falkirk wheel??
jonathan_c
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby doonunda » Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:12 am

ft
Last edited by doonunda on Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
doonunda
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Chris H » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:25 am

I think this is the best thread to post these pics in. The mrs and I went on turesday night.

looking back east to the erskine bridge

the link

I liked this

signpost

hand cranked lifting bridge

rest of the pics, about 37 of them

http://www.renault-turbo.com/chris/bowling%20basin/

I hadn't been in a while so was quite pleased to see the regeneration of the millenium link, coming along nicely.

For those wanting to visit,

by train, go to bowling station walk over the bridge to the main road and walk back EAST its just under half a mile. There is a road down to the right, its also signposted as the basin. Walk down the road over the dridge and you will come to the cylce path, its pretty obvious from there, plus my pics explain it.

By car same as above, if you come off the dual carriageway, turn right then its about half a mile then take the left thats labeled. My pics near the end show its quite a tight road, follow the road through under the arches and theres a car park, we were ok to park there but I don't know if your meant to.
Chris H
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby bankie73 » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:14 am

Nice shots, Chris H
bankie73
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Next

Return to Photo Sharing