Finnieston crane

Showcase your photographs - this will be split between Glasgow photography and everything else.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby McShad » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:55 am

Last thing I heard about it, was some artist tried to put lights on it in some artistic form.... but was upset when the light just went through the latic work of the crane.

I noticed when I left work this morning that it has a European Commision sign on it
McShad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Finnieston crane

Postby bod68 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:46 pm

My great grandfather worked Crane No 7 for most of his working days on the docks.
He died aged 90 in 1979 and I have fond memories of him telling me stories of his work and the things that happened.

I particularly remember him telling me a story of how train engines would come down from St Rollox and be loaded onto ships at Finnieston.

He was lowering the engines and the guys would be on deck securing them....For some reason, some of the engines were not secured properly..the movement of one of the engines caused the boat to list and some of the engines fell into the Clyde.

He would go on to tell how divers would be secured to the quay as they reconnected the chains to the engines and he would then lift them out of the water.

I've never heard of this being noted anywhere...but I do believe him that it happened.
It wisnae me.....Ask emmdy !!
bod68
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby daveyboy » Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:36 pm

daveyboy
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:27 pm

Bill Fontana talks about his new commission transforming the iconic Glasgow landmark, Finnieston Crane, into a musical instrument. The installation goes live on 18 April and will run until 3 May at Glasgow Modern Art Gallery. For more information, visit http://www.silentechoes-glasgow.com.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:33 pm

That sounds great, will try to go and see the exhibition.

I had a wee notion many moons ago of the whole city being a musical instrument. A sort of 3d interactive thing.... You could press on gasometers and tower blocks and maybe get a wee toot from a public toilet.... Crusty bint might remember this, although our aging memories may fail us!!!
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby banjo » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:08 pm

a wee toot from a public toilet,the mind boggles. :roll:
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:12 am

Sharon wrote:I had a wee notion many moons ago of the whole city being a musical instrument. A sort of 3d interactive thing.... You could press on gasometers and tower blocks and maybe get a wee toot from a public toilet.... Crusty bint might remember this, although our aging memories may fail us!!!

I think that was part of the Glasgow 1999 City of Architecture festival.
dazza
-
-

Postby Bingo Bango » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:45 pm

Would anyone happen to have any proper drawings of the crane by any chance? Have searched a lot, and been to the Mitchell but no joy.

Am looking to build a large scale model, plus a computer model too - more accurate drawings the better!
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:17 pm

It's not the Finnieston one, but RCAHMS has a drawing of the Clydebank titan crane at least. They've got a copy online, and you'd no doubt be able to order a hi res version.

<Edit> Here's the page for the scan: http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/details/826801/
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Lone Groover » Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:22 am

"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:26 am

robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:11 am

date would be about right robert.titan crane now being sold it would seem.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby SomeRandomBint » Mon May 05, 2014 4:18 pm

This may be a daft question, but does anyone know if it's possible to go up this crane now? My other half is fascinated by it, and would love to see the view from the top (as would I). He's spent the day on google, and has found photos that some one has taken from the crane itself. I'm currently trying to explain to him that just simply climbing up it wouldn't be a good idea as he'd probably get arrested (and they'd assume he was trying to top himself or something, no doubt).

I know the Clydebank Titan is open to the public, but I don't think it would have the same impact. He's not from Glasgow, so he'd only really recognise things from the Finnieston crane. We walk past it on the way to work every day and he's absolutely desperate to get up there. Any ideas, folks? (And if there is a possibility, HG day out maybe? :) )
"-What was all that then? - What? - THAT. - That was Glasgow"
SomeRandomBint
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Photo Sharing