St Kilda

Showcase your photographs - this will be split between Glasgow photography and everything else.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

St Kilda

Postby Late to the Party » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:45 am

Quick snap from the Gap on Hirta last friday morning just before sunrise....

Boreray and the Stacks by old not bold, on Flickr

And another from the other side of the island at sunset, looking towards Dun.

Hirta by old not bold, on Flickr

Spent three days on Hirta, St Kilda last week. It was an incredible place to visit, and I can't help but think a lot of you guys would absolutely love it. I got really lucky with the weather (despite it raining the whole of friday!). Posted a wee blog about it if anyone's interested, but I'm sure that you probably all know the story already!

http://leadinglinesphotography.net/blog ... the-world/
Late to the Party
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: St Kilda

Postby Monument » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:19 am

This is a place I have read a lot about and would love to visit. Beautiful photographs!
A vagabond on the way.
Monument
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:40 am

Ditto, very much.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby yoker brian » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:51 am

I would love to visit St Kilda - I remember seeing an exhibition at Kelvingrove about 10 years ago on St Kilda and the story of how the St Kildans were evacuated from the island never to return
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Late to the Party » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:14 pm

It's not cheap and it's not always easy (what with the weather cancelling trips and all that), but it's well worth the effort if you're in the Hebrides anyway.

I think the exhibition in the Kelvingrove is still there - saw something there on it about 6 months ago anyway. A few of the folks that were evacuated did return to visit at least. A few of them only returned to be buried there. What's very nice is that in every cottage along the street there is a stone in the hearth with the names of the last occupants painted upon it. One or two note that the person did return, but obviously there's no details.
Late to the Party
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:23 pm

Late to the Party wrote:It's not cheap and it's not always easy (what with the weather cancelling trips and all that), but it's well worth the effort if you're in the Hebrides anyway.

I think the exhibition in the Kelvingrove is still there - saw something there on it about 6 months ago anyway. A few of the folks that were evacuated did return to visit at least. A few of them only returned to be buried there. What's very nice is that in every cottage along the street there is a stone in the hearth with the names of the last occupants painted upon it. One or two note that the person did return, but obviously there's no details.

The exhibition still at Kelvingrove, is a much smaller version of what was shown previously
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:34 pm

Rather lovely "quick snap" LTTP :D
As per above, I would love to visit too. I have been fascinated since I was a kid reading my Dad's book (or just looking at the pictures)

Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Jockissimo » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:07 pm

I was dumb enough to say no thanks to being a watch skipper on a yatt with a tour booked . you need a license to land and a lot of anchor line.

I guess we can claim it is on-forum because after the voluntary depopulation many families would have ended up in Glas chu! When they chose to take up the offer to be relocated lock_stock_and_fish_barrel, the elders of the island answered en masse, with syncronous speach ..Polylogue.

Lars von Treer will no doubt make a film of it with stellan skarsgaard in it.
Jockissimo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Photo Sharing