Photoshop pluggins....

Discuss everything about photography such as technique, post-processing, printing, etc

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Photoshop pluggins....

Postby Lone Groover » Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:46 am

Photoshop pluggins....

Can any one point me to the basics ?

I have now got Photoshop CS3 - but don't know about these plug ins.... where do they come from for a start !

Educate me please chums ! :oops:
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Photoshop pluggins....

Postby Doorstop » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:33 am

In art packages you can set up a set of instructions in a small text file (or script) that uses the packages' built in functions to perform a set of automated actions on an image (resize, add borders, add effects etc.)

A plug-in is like a deluxe script but while a script uses the functions Photoshop (or whatever package is being used) has as standard, a plug in adds new functions.

Scripts can be found in the 'File' menu ..

.. you have to download and install them first though obviously .. there are loads of scripts out there and a lot of them are free.

Plug-ins are installed like a stand alone program and add new functions to the 'Filter' menu ..

.. starting these usually opens up a dialog box allowing you to alter how the plug-in works without having to tinker with the code direct ..

.. these are all over the shop, availability wise, with a fair few free ones but the more useful ones usually come on a 'purchase only' or 'shareware' standing. But as we all know - there are ways and means to save loads of money when it comes to this sort of thing. :wink:
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby wee minxy » Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:41 pm

Bloody hell DS...you know more about photoshoppery that you have been letting on :D
wee minxy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lone Groover » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:23 pm

Yeah, all I need is a sober weekend to take it in.

So that's that gubbed then ! :mrgreen:

Cheers Doorstep, yer a gent.
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:09 pm

No bother LG .. check your PMs and drop me a line should you want to get started.

wee minxy wrote:Bloody hell DS...you know more about photoshoppery that you have been letting on :D

It's a steep old learning curve Minxy and I'm having to drag myself up and over it with only a weighty reference tome as my guide - bloody hard going.

Anniesland college has scrapped their digital photography leisure classes altogether for this term and Clydebank's Digital Photography and Photoshop curriculum is still hanging in the balance v.v. whether they actually repeat it this year or not - the admissions department have told me I'll be on the waiting list and should they activate the course this year I'll be notified.

They also added the caveat that, should the course be made available, it will unfortunately be taken off the list of those courses available for part funding by ILA.

I was a tad suspicious of the last statement I have to say. If they're not sure if it's going to be on or not why have a strategy in place to ensure folks have to pay full price for it if it is?

Makes me think it's probably a popular course (or they think it may be) and they're attempting to suck as much filthy lucre from those with a desire to partake.
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby wee minxy » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:54 am

I looked at having a go at a course, an NC or HNC, it's expensive and I think I would struggle with the technical side of photography, so...as I'm unlikely to make a lot of money from it, I'll settle for the odd few hundred pounds now and then....I wish :D
wee minxy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lone Groover » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:46 am

Doorstype, This one looked like a good one to start with...........any thorts ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Photoshop-CS3-Dummies-Peter-Bauer/dp/0470111933/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1258094689&sr=1-5
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:44 am

I've never actually looked at a 'Dummies' book on whatever subject (although some would say I should have a library full of them by now) so I can't really make a judgement on how effective they would actually be.

I use the Potatoshop Bible which, as I've mentioned previously, is a somewhat deep and intricate examination of the various workings of CS3 - along the lines of describing what every function does and how to tinker with the settings sort of thing.

It doesn't show you an effect then describe in detail how to emulate that effect on your own images. This makes it hard going to get any worthwhile results without hours of "ji-ji-jiggle it a bit G-Granville". I might grab a copy of the 'Dummies' tome myself and give it a bash seeing as the local colleges are all being so bloody arsey about courses.
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lone Groover » Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:01 pm

Hold your water there Doormats, I'm going to get a copy so when I 've had a read I will hoy it your way. :mrgreen:
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peetabix » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:24 pm

Color Efex Pro is pretty good although a little expensive but I'm sure someone on here could help you with that :D

If you're into a bit of HDR Photomatix isn't too bad.

...more to follow
Peetabix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Photography