I've lost my mojo!

Discuss everything about photography such as technique, post-processing, printing, etc

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

I've lost my mojo!

Postby Lucky Poet » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:08 pm

Does anybody else find they suddenly run out of photographic steam? It happens to me with alarming regularity; each time I think that's that, but after a week or two it comes back with a vengeance. I usually worry that it won't come back, and it's really annoying.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Re: I've lost my mojo!

Postby Josef » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:21 pm

I'm sure everyone does.

That's one of the good things about Flickr, though; someone will invite you to join a group like 'Double yellow lines', 'Death in modern art', 'East Lothian lamposts' or 'Right foot, polished boot, taken in Glasgow carpeted pubs' and you're off again.

Only one of the above doesn't exist, btw. And it might not be the obvious one. :D
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:46 pm

I know which one definitely does ::):

Maybe it's partly to do with being in the same locations all the time. I'm sure I've done central Edinburgh to death. Still, when the mood strikes it's 'oh look at that fascinating lamp post'. Maybe it's temporary burn out after that wedding - I was the unofficial photographer and I'm still ploughing through a hell of a lot of shots. (Proof that I'd be miserable as a professional photographer maybe; I like photographing whatever I feel like, when I feel like it.)
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Fossil » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:59 pm

Yeah I had only taken about 20 shots this year, until my holidays.

Tho I put this down to my recharge battery's giving up the dhost since Christms. I'v got myself a new set so time get off me arse and take them shots :D
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby John » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:05 pm

I haven't taken any proper photographs for several months. Everytime I think about taking a photograph I am confronted by visions of seeing similar images on flickr.

I am waiting for something to emerge and interest me again. Meanwhile I am getting on with other things.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby hazy » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:45 pm

cheers LP I thought it was just me. But I am in the mood to splash out and get a new camera. John the Harbour festval is on soon get your bahooky down there and get snapping.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby wee minxy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:58 am

John wrote:I haven't taken any proper photographs for several months. Everytime I think about taking a photograph I am confronted by visions of seeing similar images on flickr.

I am waiting for something to emerge and interest me again. Meanwhile I am getting on with other things.

Yip, I feel the same there John. I think you go out take pics, really enjoy it, sort it all out, then its like an anti climax, you're lost, noting seeems to grab your attention.
I'm losing interest in Flickr a bit, I think there isn't anything else on the web that makes you feel so insignificant sometimes. I do not enjoy the awards thing, I think it has cheapened Flickr. But hey ho....looks like it will be around for a while.
I go out and buy a photography mag now and then, and that seems to spur me on :D
Everybody has doubts about what they are doing, but F*ck it and just enjoy it :wink:
wee minxy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby John » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:52 pm

Well said. The most inspiring photography-related activity for me recently has been reading The Camera by Ansel Adams.

Highly recommended.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby cheesemonster » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:19 pm

John wrote:Everytime I think about taking a photograph I am confronted by visions of seeing similar images on flickr.

Wondering if a similar image is already on flickr isn't very motivational - If that's you're thinking you may as well never take another pic!

All the best "photographs" I've never taken have been when I've left the camera at home. My advice would be to take the you camera with you at all times, and if you walk to and from somewhere on a main road, take the back streets for a change, walk somewhere you wouldn't normally, or haven't been for a long time, especially with the good weather of late (though it is raining right now!) and at some point something is sure to rekindle your interest.

Or, if you have money, buy a new lens and play with that! 8)
"It's hard to believe people think a real cow dying on film doesn't look like a real cow dying on film"

http://flickr.com/photos/dreamlogic
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:43 pm

I had it at the start of last year too...having a few rough months couldnt be arsed doing anything, then like fossil i got a few trips out in the summer and got back into it.

Although having the train pass i think helps a bit as i can get to different places.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:10 pm

I'm sure changes of scenery help a lot. Quite tempted by the sound of that Ansel Adams book too.

I've tried the new lens therapy a few times, and it works wonders ::): - trouble is the one lens I really want costs 700 quid, so that's not happening. (Pentax 31mm f1.8 though. Yum.) Might try a lensbaby at some point - they seem fun.

I might do a wee bit of reading then. It's cheaper. I'm glad it's not just me, by the way...
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby John » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:25 pm

I have a few books you can borrow.
John
-
-

Postby cheesemonster » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:53 am

LP, I had a loan of a lensbaby and I found it very fiddly.
All my photos turned out crap!
"It's hard to believe people think a real cow dying on film doesn't look like a real cow dying on film"

http://flickr.com/photos/dreamlogic
cheesemonster
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:22 am

i didnt like the lensbaby either :(

Know what you mean LP, Im scunnered myself just now but think its more to do with other things going on that need attention.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby John » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:36 am

I have to ask myself if I am taking photographs merely because they will fit in with an HG thread or a flickr group.

For most of the past 20 years I have carried a camera with me at all times and taken many, many mundane photographs of everyday things that weren't of particular interest. It is only with the passing of time that they attain a relevance and I can look back and enjoy them.

Note that I use my camera like a diary and have no aspirations to "photography".
John
-
-

Next

Return to Photography