Locations for photoshoots needed...

Discuss everything about photography such as technique, post-processing, printing, etc

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Locations for photoshoots needed...

Postby sauvagii » Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:14 pm

Hi guys,

Been AGES since I visited here and posted, but I immediately thought this was the best place to look for suggestions for locations for my summer "project".

Its been titled "The Urban Groom (and Bride)", and its essentially going to be a set of photographs of "grooms" (read models in top hats, tails, kilts etc) in locations which are derelict, ruined buildings etc.

It's kind of a "different take" on wedding photography, and for practical reasons, is more focused on the groom, than the bride. That's mainly because I was finding great difficulty getting models with wedding dresses willing to take them into less-than-clean places... However, I have managed to find a couple!

So I'm looking for suggestions for locations to use through the summer. And if anyone can help out getting access to more unusual places, I'd be incredibly grateful :)

My requirements for locations are:

Gritty, abandoned, decayed
Quiet (as little chance of disturbance as possible)
Not too far from the beaten track in Glasgow - for the most part, I'd need to get public transport, since I don't drive myself and only a few of the models I'm using do.
Preferably dry - I'd need somewhere for the models to change, and I don't want fancy outfits getting soaked!

I'm up for any suggestions for locations. My original location when I came up with the project was St Peter's Seminary, but since there's supposed to be redevelopment work going on up there in the future, I thought I'd try some other locations as well.

One place I intend to go back to is the Botanics Station. I'd love to try an underground carpark, or anything "industrial" too.

I've managed to get backing from Slaters and Slanj Kilts, who will be providing all the outfits for the shoots too.

So, if anyone can offer some suggestions, I'm all ears!!

Thanks all,

Greig
Canon EOS-40D
Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 30mm, Canon 17-85mm, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sauvagii & http://www.different-light.com
sauvagii
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Locations for photoshoots needed...

Postby helpmaboab » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:44 pm

Titan Crane, Clydebank!!!

We had our professional shots taken there last year. Fortunately one of the few dry Saturdays! Wife stunning in a Red dress, me in a kilt. Absolutely fantastic pictures at and around the base of the crane (imagine fish eye lense shots with crane looming above) and also us up on the top viewing platform of the crane with the jib, cables, etc and landscape behind. Wish I could post some up to show them off (the wife and the crane that is 8O ). Some of the old dock an land around the crane still look pretty derelict too which was great for shots of the crane in the background across "wasteland". :D
helpmaboab
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby onyirtodd » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:37 am

There's a derelict shed visible from the train line that runs west from Charing Cross. I reckon it's close to the newish interchange onto the Expressway roughly at the very southern end of Crow Rd (?).

Dry might be a problem - bits of the roof are missing.
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby sauvagii » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:54 am

Thanks for the suggestions guys..

I'll look into both sites.

I'd planned to use St Peter's Seminary and the Botanics stations as major locations... but since the fire at St Peter's, that's pretty much out the question, and the Botanics work going on at the moment is causing problems too!
Canon EOS-40D
Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 30mm, Canon 17-85mm, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sauvagii & http://www.different-light.com
sauvagii
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Return to Photography