Fire!!

Discuss everything about photography such as technique, post-processing, printing, etc

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Fire!!

Postby Dave » Mon May 04, 2009 9:37 pm

OK, I'd like to take decent shots of fire but I cannot seem to get any realistic pictures. Flash on you get the charred wood with no fire, no flash then I get a messy orange blur

Surely I can get some kind of inbetween or better shot, OK I am more novice than a wean with a mobile but I am keen to learn
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Fire!!

Postby Peetabix » Fri May 08, 2009 8:11 pm

Slow shutter speed will give that blurry look and show detail. Faster shutter speed will give a sharper flame but you'll lose most of the detail in the fireplace/whatever else is around the flame.

Don't think I have any better shots than these.

Peetabix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby saltirepride » Sat May 09, 2009 7:35 pm

I love the second pic!

Wullie
saltirepride
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby rotten milk » Sun May 10, 2009 11:10 pm

'fill-in' flash or the digi equivalent may be your answer

what camera are you using?

if it's a point'n'shoot, there may be an 'mode' setting which gives you a combination of 'less flash + slower shutter' than the auto settings give you e.g. 'indoors' or 'night portrait'
some will also give you a 'fill-in flash' option on auto, which does the same sort of thing

or, on manual for example, fix the shutter speed how you want it, then if the image is too dark, fire a burst of 'fill-in' flash (equivalent to maybe 1/2 stop) to bring out the detail?
hey, d'ye think it's ootside yir in?
rotten milk
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:57 pm

If you have a separate flash gun, you could try setting the film speed on the flash gun (it's got to be on manual mind) 1 or 2 stops faster i.e. double the film speed or double it again, also try click stops in between. this won't affect your exposure of the flames too much but will give a bit of illumination to the surrounding area of your subject.

'fill-in' flash or the digi equivalent may be your answer

Call me old fashioned, but I thought fill in flash was for back lit subjects. :wink:
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rotten milk » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:04 am

it might be!

what i was meaning is similar though (sort of) i.e. using flash 1 or 2 stops less power than normal to just bring out the detail in the shadows, whilst still allowing a 'correct' main exposure (for the effect he's after)

some sort of diffuser(coloured or not)on a flash-gun could further cut any harshness of flash

or take the fire from the 1/180 shot and photoshop it into the 1/30 fireplace! :D
rotten milk
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:41 am

rotten milk wrote:it might be!

what i was meaning is similar though (sort of) i.e. using flash 1 or 2 stops less power than normal to just bring out the detail in the shadows, whilst still allowing a 'correct' main exposure (for the effect he's after)

some sort of diffuser(coloured or not)on a flash-gun could further cut any harshness of flash

or take the fire from the 1/180 shot and photoshop it into the 1/30 fireplace! :D

I'm an auld pisher and huvnae a scooby whit ye're on aboot :oops:
Your diffuser thing has reminded me that if the camera doesn't have a separate flash gun then a folded paper hanky (experiment using different numbers of folds)held over the built in flash, can do the trick. Not to cut any harshness, (though it will) but to cut the effective output.

There have been many occasions where I've used flash to illuminate the foreground of a picture, and given that I could use a spot meter, I could work out just how much flash I needed. Technically though, it's not fill in flash.

If you can imagine a studio set up. You might want the back light to be 2/3 of a stop brighter than the main light, to give a slight halo effect around your subject. Fill in flash is exactly the same principle, where the sun is the back light, and the flash is the main light. It's a lovely thing when done right. Using the film speed dial on the flash gun gets you your 2/3 stop difference, although 2/3 of a stop is just a starting out thing. Less or more depends on your subject. Using an incident light meter for the main subject works a treat.
I'm pissed, if you know all that, forgive me, it'll maybe help someone else.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:03 am

UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:16 pm

Nice.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:25 pm

Very nice
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:50 pm

Thanks guys :)

It was my friends' wedding and they had set up a camp fire at the outside evening do for people to sit around. I was mesmerised by it and decided to train the camera on it.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:39 pm

BrigitDoon wrote:Thanks guys :)

It was my friends' wedding and they had set up a camp fire at the outside evening do for people to sit around. I was mesmerised by it and decided to train the camera on it.

Brigit, despite the guid photies, you need a lesson in camp fire etiquette:
1st, sit at the campfire drinking 'til you're pished.
2nd, once pished, get more pished while singing songs, preferably old songs.

Nothing to it really.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:49 pm

But it was a wedding! Of course I was pished.

On the wagon these days, though...
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rotten milk » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:59 pm

love the first pic brigit, reminds me of when we visited relatives who had a coal fire.
it was usually october/november time so a fire would be built late afternoon.
paper, then sticks, the coal on top
as it takes, lots of smoke from the coal then the flames, crackling then spitting.

but the bit i liked was later when the flames had died down and the coals were glowing
just like your pics, there would be wee caverns which i could chuck bits of paper, matchsticks etc., a brief flame from them before they're consumed
come late evening, very little flame, but a fierce heat from the coal embers
i remember, if it looked like dying down, gave the fire a poke, now and again, to keep it going
the occasional rustle as coals fell down and rearranged themselves
very hypnotising

then my uncle fcking and blinding cos the grate was still hot at 5am the next morning when he went to clean the ashes out! ::):

at home we had a 3-bar electric fire and only put a bit paper onto that once, shortly before getting a slap round the head!
ach, it wisnae the same anyway.......... :D
rotten milk
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:26 am

What a wonderful reminiscence. My granny was one for fetching us upside the earhole. :)
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Photography