Glasgow Photo Clubs

Discuss everything about photography such as technique, post-processing, printing, etc

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgow Photo Clubs

Postby Doorstop » Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:15 am

big/davie wrote:would be good if the more experienced snappers on here could maybe do a wee write up regards basic settings for day/night shots regards proper iso and shutter speeds

This.
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scottwramsay » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:46 pm

*scratches head*
http://www.flickr.com/scottwramsay/
scottwramsay
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:36 pm

I was agreeing with Big/Davie, Scott mate ... I'm a complete novice when it comes to photography and any good shots I take are more from luck than judgement.

It would be nice to have some of the basic photography questions answered in a thread aimed at the beginner.
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby OLDFART » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:44 pm

piont in right direction of subject & click always a good start.......... end of 1st tutorial :mrgreen:

ps if that doesnt work, remember it takes talent to take real crap pics

pss dont forget theres lot of flickr meetings & u do learn. College courses & photo clubs are good but they do teach a formula to take pics, often people just stick to that formula and dont explore other options
OLDFART
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lone Groover » Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:44 am

Doorstop wrote:I was agreeing with Big/Davie, Scott mate ... I'm a complete novice when it comes to photography and any good shots I take are more from luck than judgement.

It would be nice to have some of the basic photography questions answered in a thread aimed at the beginner.

Hello me old Wedge, you could do a lot worse than start with this .... http://www.bbc.co.uk/britain/goodphotos/ which is very cool indeed, 8)

And while you're at it, answer your PMs ! :roll:
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:35 am

Sorry mate .. done. :oops:
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby big/davie » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:54 pm

big/davie
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Digitographer » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:13 pm

I joined my local camera club a month or two back and I'm glad I did. Sure, most of the people are older than I am, but they have a lot of good knowledge and experience and I learn something new every week. As well as that, there are competitions where members prints are scored, and it's fascinating to listen to the judgements on the photos and see if I agree or not. And last but not least, there are visiting speakers - a couple of weeks ago, we had a talk by Colin Prior, who is an incredible photographer.

So if you are thinking of joining your local club, give it a go - you have nothing to lose and possibly a lot to gain.

Will

http://www.askyofhoney.com
Will
www.askyofhoney.com
Digitographer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby StevenJ » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:36 pm

StevenJ
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby OLDFART » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:45 am

QPCC i was there last year, i was going to go back but it came down to new lens or renew membership, the lens won :mrgreen:
OLDFART
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:12 pm

Digitographer wrote:I joined my local camera club a month or two back and I'm glad I did. Sure, most of the people are older than I am, but they have a lot of good knowledge and experience and I learn something new every week. As well as that, there are competitions where members prints are scored, and it's fascinating to listen to the judgements on the photos and see if I agree or not. And last but not least, there are visiting speakers - a couple of weeks ago, we had a talk by Colin Prior, who is an incredible photographer.

So if you are thinking of joining your local club, give it a go - you have nothing to lose and possibly a lot to gain.

Will

http://www.askyofhoney.com

Saved me the bother. Thanks.
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:16 pm

The Annexe in Stewartville Street runs occassional classes in Digital Photography. It might be a bit basic for some but maybe worth finding out about for beginners. The website http://www.theannexehlc.megalomedia.co.uk/about_us.html isn't terribly helpful but has contact details
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:05 pm

onyirtodd wrote:The Annexe in Stewartville Street runs occassional classes in Digital Photography. It might be a bit basic for some but maybe worth finding out about for beginners. The website http://www.theannexehlc.megalomedia.co.uk/about_us.html isn't terribly helpful but has contact details

I think they've fallen out with Community Learning.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby darrel » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:52 pm

I went to a camera club in Helensburgh twice it was full of old people nothing wrong with that. But after two weeks not one person spoke to me. not even a membership secretary nothing not a word. I was made as welcome as a fart in a lift. didnt go back :roll:
http://darrels.smugmug.com/
darrel
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:52 pm

darrel wrote:I went to a camera club in Helensburgh twice it was full of old people nothing wrong with that. But after two weeks not one person spoke to me. not even a membership secretary nothing not a word. I was made as welcome as a fart in a lift. didnt go back :roll:

They're not all like that.
I remember chatting to a man who was judging a competition at our local club. It turned out that he did a complete lecture on Ansel Adams' Zone System of which I was very interested. His only remaining lecture that year was at Carluke which was miles away from me, so the old fellow (Jim Kennedy) invited me to his home to give me the lecture there, complete with home baking from his wife.
the lecture was fantastic, and I subsequently came up with my own, less complicated version which I used throughout my career as a pro. Only in Glasgow.
Anyone ever see Jim Joyce from Dingwall? Fantastic photos.
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Photography