Help! Mini Monkeys in East Kilbride

Discuss everything about photography such as technique, post-processing, printing, etc

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Help! Mini Monkeys in East Kilbride

Postby alanmac » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:16 pm

An odd request this I know, and not exactly Hidden Glasgow-esq as such but ....

Is there anyone out there who remembers back in the 70's there used to be guys who hung around East Kilbride town centre (generally outside Bairds where the bus terminal is now) with little rhesus monkeys that you could get your photo taken with? Seems a fairly bizzare now looking back, not just because of the moneys but from what I remember you got your photo taken, paid the guy a fiver or however much it was and trusted him to post the photo to you a few weeks later?!
Anyway, despite having several friends of a similar age (and some brought up in East Kilbride) no one else seems to remember this, in fact the general concensus is that I'm completely nuts and imagined the whole thing.

I do have a photo of myself and my brother taken in Blackpool in 1976...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/96335851@N00/2341517090/

...but if I can get hold of the equivalent taken in East Kilbride I'll be a very smug man (and there's a £500 bet riding on it now too, winning proceeds going to the RSPCA!)

Can anyone help???
alanmac
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Help! Mini Monkeys in East Kilbride

Postby cheesylion » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:29 pm

I can't help with your request but it's odds on that your memories are correct. I remember the same thing happening on the sea front in Helensburgh when I was young (70s-80s).
Ching Ching!!!!!!!
cheesylion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Help! Mini Monkeys in East Kilbride

Postby AlanM » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:29 pm

I can also remember monkeys dressed in jumpers that you could get your photo taken with. As to where they were, I really can't remember, possibly the Barras or in the Kelvin Hall at carnival time
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Photography