Anyone know their Boats?

Discuss everything about photography such as technique, post-processing, printing, etc

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Anyone know their Boats?

Postby Graham » Mon May 28, 2007 10:02 pm

Can you shed any light on the identity of this one? It's lying in (a) state next to the Carrick at Irvine.......

I was banned for being homophobic.
Graham
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby e2wufos1 » Mon May 28, 2007 10:39 pm

Looks like the RAF bullseye insignia on the front of it so could well be one of these Seaplane Tenders as seen here http://www.fad.co.za/Resources/aviation/laybutt/lay5.jpg although a different shape definately something RAF related.

Jim
e2wufos1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Graham » Mon May 28, 2007 10:43 pm

e2wufos1 wrote:Looks like the RAF bullseye insignia on the front of it so could well be one of these Seaplane Tenders as seen here http://www.fad.co.za/Resources/aviation/laybutt/lay5.jpg although a different shape definately something RAF related.

Jim

Thanks Jim, it was the RAF bullseye that made me take an interest in the boat, that and the fact it was rotting away next to the Carrick!

For some reason the name Vosper popped into my head when I first saw it, but I'm probably totally wrong :roll:
Graham
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby e2wufos1 » Mon May 28, 2007 10:48 pm

certainly sounds like that place should be shut down and all the boats sent to places that want to do something with them instead of leaving them to rot.

Back to your boat i've actually found what it most definately is although the only decent pic I could find is of an airfix kit of it http://www.worldwideshoppingmall.co.uk/ ... FL5281.gif it looks more like a RAF Rescue Launch
e2wufos1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Graham » Mon May 28, 2007 10:54 pm

e2wufos1 wrote:certainly sounds like that place should be shut down and all the boats sent to places that want to do something with them instead of leaving them to rot.

Back to your boat i've actually found what it most definately is although the only decent pic I could find is of an airfix kit of it http://www.worldwideshoppingmall.co.uk/ ... FL5281.gif it looks more like a RAF Rescue Launch

Could be it...difficult to tell with the state the one at Irvine's in. Mind you if you think that's bad take a look at the D.U.K.W. parked next to The Carrick......

Graham
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby e2wufos1 » Mon May 28, 2007 10:57 pm

No wonder the place is in ruins and no one wants to visit or put any funding their way they don't seem to be doing much in the way of restoring the boats and watercraft they have.

I was going to take a visit later in the summer but it doesn't look upto much unless you want to look at rusting hulks. :cry:
e2wufos1
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Mon May 28, 2007 11:38 pm

funding is short, so they are taking whats donated to them
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Bloody shame

Postby peter » Tue May 29, 2007 8:54 am

As one who spent thirty odd years building boats . These photos at Irvine are a crying shame. The RAF tender was triple ply construction. Probably Vospers built . I worked for McGruer on the Gareloch who built MTBs which were of similar construction.
"I've seen them come and I've seen them go. And I've seen them Die"
peter
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Graham » Tue May 29, 2007 9:15 am

DickyHart wrote:funding is short, so they are taking whats donated to them

I think they are trying to fund the place via the coffee shop judging by the prices - if they get a coach party or two in that should pay for the restoration nicely ::):
Graham
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Tue May 29, 2007 10:03 am

e2wufos1 wrote:No wonder the place is in ruins and no one wants to visit or put any funding their way they don't seem to be doing much in the way of restoring the boats and watercraft they have.

I was going to take a visit later in the summer but it doesn't look upto much unless you want to look at rusting hulks. :cry:

Reminds me of the old BusWorld museum ::):
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Photography