Separated at birth?

Discuss everything about photography such as technique, post-processing, printing, etc

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Separated at birth?

Postby scallopboy » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:23 pm

Took a wonder through to the other side yesterday to have a look at the Scottish Parliament and see where my tax money was squandered, I mean wasted, sorry, I think I mean invested. It's not evident from this picture, but the lovely and expensive wooden poles all the way round had a couple of loose ones already, and a lot were showing water ingress. Piss-poor and inappropriate architecture for a country where it rains a lot and is cold in the winter. Also, the lovely water features all the way around, well some were fenced off, probably to stop people falling in and injuring themselves. Reminded me of the other "Brave new world" 1960's inappropriate to the conditions buildings for post-war rebuilding and slum clearance. They looked good on paper, won awards, were seen to be art in some form but didn't take account of people and the climate.

So here's the question; Cumbernauld Shopping Centre and the Scottish Parliament, separated at birth?

Last edited by scallopboy on Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scallopboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:44 pm

No, Cumbernauld is better :roll:
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:00 pm

Um, no. Cos the Parliament is lovely, and it makes me proud to go in it.
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:45 am

Proud, what of our pretend country and its puppet government? No. Until Scotland is properly independent there will be no 'pride' there. Anyway it IS plug ugly. The Scottish Parliament has all the loveliness of Camilla Parker Bowles...
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:57 am

Vladimir wrote:Proud, what of our pretend country and its puppet government? No. Until Scotland is properly independent there will be no 'pride' there. Anyway it IS plug ugly. The Scottish Parliament has all the loveliness of Camilla Parker Bowles...

I'm proud of the building, because it hold for me hope and potential. It is like nothing else in the world, a complete one off - who can't be excited by that at least?

I am also looking forward to clearing out the muppets and gaining independence for Scotland, when the Parliament can actually stretch its legs and get to do some real work. Then it really will be a great place.

Have you been in to have a good look about it Vlad? Cos if you haven't I'm sure it can be arranged... :wink:
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:08 am

Ive been oustide the place on all sides. Oh, Id love to go in, but only if you get to throw rotten tomatos at Mr. McConnell :D
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:18 am

Vladimir wrote:Ive been oustide the place on all sides. Oh, Id love to go in, but only if you get to throw rotten tomatos at Mr. McConnell :D

Unfortunately, I don't think they allow that :( everything gets put through airport style security scanners so a dose of mouldy tomatoes in your rucksack might raise eyebrows!

Seriously though, it's much nicer on the inside than on the outside. You can get in for free to see the chamber (when it's fixed!), or they have professional guided tours which are a couple of quid. Or alternatively, pester an MSP and they'll take you round and let you see all the bits that aren't on the tour!
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:56 am

The looks or otherwise of a Parliament building have, or should have, no connection to what goes on within it. Unfortunately this one is, and always will be a lasting (maybe) monument to the competence of those that inhabit it.

The thing was put together by someone who had no understanding of anything except how to spend other people's money (he was allowed to play with his last project at our expense).

The design may have been fine for a nice, sunny, dry Mediterranean environment, but in the coming years this building will continue to consume increasing amounts of our money as it deteriorates in the Scottish climate and the maintenance cost climb.

If that's a flagship advertisment for Scottish Independence (that they couldn't even find a Scottish architect for) LOOK AT IT AND WEEP.
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pripyat » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:35 am

Ally Doll wrote:Seriously though, it's much nicer on the inside than on the outside.

Remember your hard hat. To avoid falling masonary,
edge around the interior perimenter walls, don't
stand in the middle of any room :wink:
"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe
Pripyat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:41 am

Pripyat wrote:
Ally Doll wrote:Seriously though, it's much nicer on the inside than on the outside.

Remember your hard hat. To avoid falling masonary,
edge around the interior perimenter walls, don't
stand in the middle of any room :wink:

Ach it only got so much media coverage cos it fell near the press gallery! :roll: It's more the fault of shoddy workmanship and people not putting bolts in where they should go.
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pripyat » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:44 am

Ally, is it true that the place is not insured?
"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe
Pripyat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ally Doll » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:45 am

Pripyat wrote:Ally, is it true that the place is not insured?

Not sure, sorry. Will see what I can find out!
Ally Doll
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vladimir » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:11 am

Marinus van der Lubbe, thats all I need to say if nobody wants the building :wink:
Vladimir
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pripyat » Wed Apr 26, 2006 12:43 pm

Pripyat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:35 pm

This is because the £431 million building, like all other public buildings in Scotland, is not covered by any insurance.

You want money wasted on insuring every public building?
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Photography