What you think

Discuss everything about photography such as technique, post-processing, printing, etc

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

What you think

Postby MotoMad » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:17 pm

i know it aint "Hidden Glasgow " but took these last month and just got net access back, what you guys think of them
http://www.mcgilp.plus.com/pictures/GSC+SECC-21.JPG
http://www.mcgilp.plus.com/pictures/GSC+SECC-47.JPG
http://www.mcgilp.plus.com/pictures/GSC+SECC-79.JPG
MotoMad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:34 pm

all good :) I do like the second one

Fossil
Fossil
-
-

Postby ghiribizzo » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:49 pm

Yep, agree with M/F that #2 is favourite. You could play with Photoshop/PPPro and get rid of the 'ticket' sign and poster that draws your eye to there.
On the first one, I could put a 'Camera Club' hat on and say the only thing is we can't see the top of the bridge support. If the camera was angled up a little so the bridge span fits the 'rule-of-thirds' you'd see the top as well and it'd be spot-on.
Great stuff. Annoying for me in that I'm scraping up money for a digital SLR, I've outgrown my 'compact' and wanna get 'out there' without the huge cost of 35mm...
:?
ghiribizzo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby MotoMad » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:57 pm

Thats a Fuji s3500 i used , and might get my mate to take the ticket and poster out , just wish they had washed the windaes , they knew i was comin to take photo's :? bar-stewards .
MotoMad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MotoMad » Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:59 pm

See the bells bridge , does it open? i've heard it does but never seen it happen , anyone got pics?
MotoMad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby viceroy » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:35 pm

Yes it does open - it swings round 90 degrees on its central pillar and I have seen it do this a couple of times. Unfortunately I don't have a picture.
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Snapper » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:27 am

Viceroy,

You've got three nice pics there. Try and bear in mind though it's not what you include, it's what you leave out that can make for a successful shot.

On the 1st one of Bell's Bridge, I'd crop it on the right just to the right of the first (darker) building. Also I'd crop the top of the shot to lose about two thirds of the sky above the top of the Armadillo & then the bottom just before the ends of the lines of reflection. Tighter and tidier and a more interesting & usable pic.

On the second one, lose the interior all together. You don't need it & it's ugly. Colour temp is also mismatched making it green and sepulchral. Crop it either square or upright and you'd have a much better shot.

Last one. A good shot too but would be better as an upright. I'd have framed just beyond the ends of the building & used a tripod and a longer exposure. Visually it's a nice pic but it's really not usable since it's pretty unsharp. Invest in even a small tripod. Doesn't have to be big but bear in mind the more robust ones are more stable.

Try and work out shots before you take them and then frame them accordingly. Think graphically, even abstactly. Composition is important sure, but it's surprising what being economical with the rules can give you.

Hope you don't think I'm being patronising. I've been shooting professionally for 30 years now & you get to know what works and what doesn't.

Cheers.
Snapper
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby viceroy » Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:53 pm

Thanks for the tips Snapper but actually I think's it's MotoMad who should be given the credit for having taken the pictures, not me.

Cheers
Viceroy

:wink:
viceroy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MotoMad » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:01 pm

I used a tripod for the first and last one , didnt use tripod for 2nd as i was leaning over the water
MotoMad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:20 pm

Motomad wrote:See the bells bridge , does it open? i've heard it does but never seen it happen , anyone got pics?

Knew I had one somewhere, taken from the Waverley

Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The_Clincher » Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:54 pm

Good pictures...i liked them :) I might have an aerial view of the bridge opening from the science tower. :)

Here's one i done earlier as they say......

The_Clincher
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MotoMad » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:30 am

Cheers guys , just managed to get back on, well i shall be going back soon enough with my new s9500 so there wont be any blurriness , and i'l make sure to take my tripod :wink:
cheers for the pics of the bells brige ,just a wee bit of curiosity hit me as i was walking over the bridge with my mate.
-Ciaran
MotoMad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Photography