Help with old photographs

Discuss everything about photography such as technique, post-processing, printing, etc

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Help with old photographs

Postby My Kitten » Sat Mar 13, 2004 4:43 pm

I have recently been able to get the family photos off my dad and have come across these ones.

http://uk.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/muzzy1001973/album?.dir=/d9e8

Can anyone help with their locations - the fish and chip shop I know is in Springburn somewhere but I cant make out the full street name. They were all taken in about 1973/74.

Thanks
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Help with old photographs

Postby germistonguy » Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:57 pm

emmar wrote:I have recently been able to get the family photos off my dad and have come across these ones.

http://uk.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/muzzy1001973/album?.dir=/d9e8

Can anyone help with their locations - the fish and chip shop I know is in Springburn somewhere but I cant make out the full street name. They were all taken in about 1973/74.

Thanks

Hi emmar

any chance you could do a higher res scan of the street name - might be able to decipher something? :)
germistonguy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Pgcc93 » Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:45 am

re: Pic No.3 The partialy demolished chip shop.

Could this be Adamswell Street at the corner of the original Springburn Road :?:
Pgcc93
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:23 pm

If it's any help I reckon it is/was Santi's New Yorker chip shop. I'm pretty sure it was in part of Sprinburn that was demolished when they built the flyover, ie Springburn Road.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby escotregen » Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:42 pm

emmar, without a doubt your best bet is to refer to the local Springburn Museum. Its a fund of this type of material and they respond well to enquiries. Their curator (I think his name is maybe O'Neil?) is well reputed and their material was the basis of the book "Up oor Close" (albeit the book is a bit too mawkish and rose-tinted for me). They are at Atlas Square, Ayr Street, Glasgow tel 557 1405
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:51 pm

thanks for your help!

I will try and get in touch with the museum. Im trying to create a kind of life picture line before my parents/granny gets too old to tell me anything - and before I forget where i come from!
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby germistonguy » Sat Mar 20, 2004 2:16 am

emmar wrote:thanks for your help!

I will try and get in touch with the museum. Im trying to create a kind of life picture line before my parents/granny gets too old to tell me anything - and before I forget where i come from!

I planned to visit springburn museum on my last outing to Glasgow 2 or 3 years ago. when I got there (Springburn Library) I was told it had closed down. I wonder, has it since reopened? Be sure to check if you are planning a visit.
germistonguy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DVF » Sat Mar 20, 2004 2:19 pm

I think they may have moved the library.

It was beside/under the train station but I think the library has moved to beside the sports centre. The old library may now be Springburn Museum, maybe.

David.
DVF
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby lenthegent » Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:40 pm

Alas, the Sprinburn Museum has been absorbed into the Mitchell library's archive. A petition was resurrected a few years back to retain the collection, but move it to another site,but the erstwhile city fathers had already sealed it's fate. Ho hum
lenthegent
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby escotregen » Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:04 pm

emmar, I have re-checked for you and the Springburn museum and it's collection does still exist. It's at Kay Street in Springburn. I phoned (557 5878) but I have to say that it nowadays seems to be a typical Council affair - limited opening hours, difficult to get through to, and then nobody available that seems to be able to help or advise (despite the member os staff's goodwill and wishes that she could help). It's sad that another great wee institution seems to have come to this, maybe I tried on a bad day, or two days or three days or.....
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Help with old photographs

Postby paladin » Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:14 am

My Kitten wrote:http://uk.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/muzzy1001973/album?.dir=/d9e8

http://gdl.cdlr.strath.ac.uk/springburn/spring081.htm

the same chippie that is in your photo.....Springburn Road.
Looking through these old (70's 8O ) photos makes you realise how times change so fast.
paladin
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RPW » Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:13 pm

Hi there

Fairly new to this forum and I know I am a wee bit late in replying, but I can confirm for you it was for sure Santi's New Yorker Chippie, it also had a sit in place. If you want to try and recreate where it was I can tell you exactly, there is now a phone box just outside what would have been the chippie, now in front of the helath Centre. This picture would have been taking from one side of Springburn Road at the foot of what is Kirkhill St, the road sign that you can see appears to be for Adamswell St, which at the time would have led you down to the old Atlas Works in Springburn. In answer to some of the other replies, yes - alas the museum is well and truely closed, despite the protests, as I always tell people if you don't use it you will lose it, and not enough people used the museum. Part of it has been recreated on the first floor of what is now Springburn Leisure/Library/Sports/Swimming Centre - if anyone wants anymore info on the area let me know.
RPW
Just settling in
Just settling in

Return to Photography