File hosting

Discuss everything about photography such as technique, post-processing, printing, etc

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby Apollo » Mon Sep 12, 2005 5:02 pm

Been updated to online setup:

http://www.hyspex.com/staff/accounts/new.php
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:42 pm

Hyspex has been up and down more times than pair of drawers on the Green, however they've killed the free accounts (unless you already have one) and gone fee-based.

Don't know if I'd go with them, as they were appealing for contributions to make £60 or so to buy a server.

----

On a better note, I thought I'd done remarkably well in clearing some space from my Photobucket account a few weeks ago, as the free space climbed rapidly as I worked away.

However the truth is that they've doubled the space and upped the bandwidth of free accounts :)
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:09 pm

Apollo wrote:Hyspex has been up and down more times than pair of drawers on the Green

Image Image
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:18 am

anyone know of a good flickr alternative, would rather not leave but I aint happy with the yahoo bullying.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:20 am

Photobucket? It's free but you can have a paid account.

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:21 am

I have one of those, but i liked the fuzzy feeling of being old skool, the tags and the community, bah!

Pesky yahoo and we now have exclusive rights over your piccies!
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Apollo » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:34 pm

Not just Yahoo!, you'll find the same copyrighting with almost any hosting service that doesn't simply provide anonymous hosting of any pic you upload to their servers.

While they're not hosts, you'll find similar terms if you offer any pics to the BBC for example.

It basically means that once you submit your pics to them, they are licensed by you to re-use them. It doesn't (and probably can't as far as I can see) affect your copyright as the owner of the original image. However, the terms basically mean that they can re-use the image you submit as they wish, without having to ask your permission as the copyright holder.

Regardless of their terms, you, as the copyright holder of the original ALWAYS retain the copyright unless you actively assign it or sell it to someone else.

(Yes, I did swallow the copyright legislation one quiet day :) )
Apollo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby AlanM » Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:06 pm

you could try http://beta.zooomr.com/

Haven't read the Ts&Cs so don't know if they're more favourable than flickr's
Who needs a six pack....when you've got a keg!!!
AlanM
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby netclectic » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:06 pm

No mention of Picasa / Picasaweb from Google?

Picasa is the desktop software used for organising pics on your pc while Picasaweb is their alternative to Flickr.

The desktop software is very good.
Picasaweb is free with 2GB of storage and no bandwidth restrictions as far as I can see. although the tagging and community facilities of Picasaweb aren't quite in the same league as Flickr at the moment.
this week i have mostly been listening to...
netclectic
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Image Storage

Postby robertpool » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:43 am

Flickr for me. Unlimited uploads on the pro account (aprox £12.50 /year). I like the idea of the various image sizes available when viewing or downloading. All my photos are of Glasgow and Clydebank, almost 4500 of them. (Mainly Glasgow Harbour Development from Nov 2004 to Aug 2007) There is also shots of the city centre. Drumchapel, Partick, Botanic Gardens refit and many more...go on have a peek. ::):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/robertpool

images are broken into sets for easy viewing.

8)
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mr moto » Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:50 am

i have been using smugmug for years,lots of options for viewing your pics ,no problems at all . click on my username for a look at my smugmug pages .
http://www.smugmug.com
mr moto
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: File hosting

Postby glasgowken » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:15 am

What's wrong with Photobucket these days ?
It used to work fine, now it's sloooooooooww And half the time the images don't even load.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re:

Postby Ben » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:34 pm

netclectic wrote:No mention of Picasa / Picasaweb from Google?

Picasa is the desktop software used for organising pics on your pc while Picasaweb is their alternative to Flickr.

The desktop software is very good.
Picasaweb is free with 2GB of storage and no bandwidth restrictions as far as I can see. although the tagging and community facilities of Picasaweb aren't quite in the same league as Flickr at the moment.

I love the Picasa application - and should really use the Picasa 'web' as it's so easy to upload, but there's just something about Flickr that makes it all so appealing.

If you don't like the license terms (etc) why don't you get some hosting (and domain) of your own?
Ben
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby tobester » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:17 pm

Noticed with flickr you can put videos on the site too now, just upped ones ive done from past wanders.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby krakow » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:41 pm

I've largely switched from flickr to Zenfolio now, mainly because I think that Zenfolio is a lot more professional looking, and because there's more control over how your site looks, rather than being tied to the chronological display as on flickr. It doesn't have the same community aspects however.

Links: http://krakow.zenfolio.com/ & http://www.flickr.com/photos/krakow81/
Crimson Glow Photography: http://www.crimsonglow.co.uk/
krakow
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Photography