Tell me about RAW

Discuss everything about photography such as technique, post-processing, printing, etc

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Tell me about RAW

Postby Doorstop » Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:37 pm

:D
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby potatojunkie » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:02 pm

Doorstop wrote:It is indeed CS3 PJ. It's a standard Panasonic RAW format of .raw.

Seems CS3 might not support that kind of RAW file. You should have got some proprietary RAW conversion software with the camera, though.
I will shoot you: http://www.stuartcrawfordphoto.com/
potatojunkie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:15 pm

And the copies of Lightroom I've tried this afternoon (2 off) seems to be having major conflict issues with my graphics tablet software. I think that's what's causing the grief anyway.

Throws an absolute benny upon kicking off, application window whites out then demands to be shut down.

It's all gone Pete Tong today .. should have stayed in my bed I think.
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby minxy » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:00 pm

I have a tablet too DS, and i had to go get an update for it as it wouldn't work with windows7, so might be something to do with that. I also had to go get a raw update for CS4 for a canon 500D, whits it like :? . I know its only info, but you never know, it might help a wee bit. :)
minxy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:52 am

Thanks for that Minxy .. I shall investigate forthwith.
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby minxy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:29 pm

Just to let you know DS...I am in Lightroom just now, and using a wacom tablet with no problem at all, they are compatible, just incase you might think there may be a problem there :)
minxy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Gaggin Forra Pint » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:18 pm

I use ACDSee Pro, instead of lightroom, and photoshop for the more complicated stuff.
Gaggin Forra Pint
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby droschke7 » Mon May 03, 2010 11:06 pm

Josef wrote:The difference between a photo file and a RAW one sounds a bit like the difference between having a wardrobe and having a pile of wood and a wardrobe catalogue.

must admit I thought Josef's comment hit the nail on the head
droschke7
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Thu May 06, 2010 8:33 pm

I was only slowly convinced that RAW was a good thing, after reading claims about its greater freedom to alter images before they degrade, and the undeniable benefits of having you decide how to create a final image in your own time and to your own tastes on a full-size computer, rather than leaving most of the decision-making to a tiny in-camera chip. It's all true, and the images have something about them that I still find pleasing.

However, and it's a big however, it's a massive pain in the neck that said RAW files demand your personal intervention. They pop out on the computer looking flat and rather lifeless, and it can get a bit tiring having to go through every one, tweaking it into becoming (hopefully) a good-looking photo. I get a sinking feeling sometimes, say after coming home from St Peter's with 200 photos, knowing that even if I get it down to 60, that's still 60 photos that I have to go through individually, tooling about in Lightroom till they look ok. Plus the file sizes are enormous, and my computer finds them difficult to deal with quickly (15+ Mb a pop).

Total pain. I'm still going through photos I took nearly a week ago. But I can do what I want with them, which I think I'd miss too much.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Boxer6 » Thu May 06, 2010 8:57 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:I was only slowly convinced that RAW was a good thing, after reading claims about its greater freedom to alter images before they degrade, and the undeniable benefits of having you decide how to create a final image in your own time and to your own tastes on a full-size computer, rather than leaving most of the decision-making to a tiny in-camera chip. It's all true, and the images have something about them that I still find pleasing.

However, and it's a big however, it's a massive pain in the neck that said RAW files demand your personal intervention. They pop out on the computer looking flat and rather lifeless, and it can get a bit tiring having to go through every one, tweaking it into becoming (hopefully) a good-looking photo. I get a sinking feeling sometimes, say after coming home from St Peter's with 200 photos, knowing that even if I get it down to 60, that's still 60 photos that I have to go through individually, tooling about in Lightroom till they look ok. Plus the file sizes are enormous, and my computer finds them difficult to deal with quickly (15+ Mb a pop).

Total pain. I'm still going through photos I took nearly a week ago. But I can do what I want with them, which I think I'd miss too much.

I'm told LR (amongst others) allows batch editing of RAW files, which may help you out a bit with the 'tedium' factor, although that may not always be a solution I suppose.

Personally, I've only recently discovered the huge difference selecting the correct White Balance makes!!!
Some people hear voices.. Some see invisible people.. Others have no imagination whatsoever.
Boxer6
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Late to the Party » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:02 pm

Living up to my name but what the heck, it's done now and hopefully this will still be useful to someone...

http://leadinglinesphotography.net/tuto ... n-line/raw

Boxer 6: I'd think that batch processing is kind of missing the point of RAW but only to a point. The reason RAW is so handy is that you have much more control to process the photos the way you think they should be processed.

If you have a whole lot that are very similar then batch processing might be the answer to be fair. You will still have more control over white balance and more leeway to bring detail into shadow and highlight areas than you'd get from an in-camera JPEG. Hopefully the link explains it better than I have here.
Late to the Party
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:50 pm

A nice summary of the subject, that :) .

Agreed about batch processing - it does come in awfy handy when there's a few photos that are similar, or at least can have the same white balance or other attributes applied (and LR is good for letting you select which you want to apply on the go, not that I'm trying to sell it or anything).

I did actually have a go at creating a different import default, something a bit closer to a vague average of what I do manually to the tone curve and a few other things, tweaked it over a week or so, but eventually decided it was better to begin with and I was doing about the same amount of work anyway in the long run. It was worth a try though...
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby Sharon » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:18 am

A little PDF guide to processing in camera raw http://www.xritephoto.com/Documents/Literature/EN/GuidaCameraRaw_en.pdf

btw - You can process multiple images at the same time in camera raw.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Photography