Ice Cream Vans

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Ice Cream Vans

Postby Oldandbold » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:01 pm

In the 50's,Elderado ice cream vans came round Knightswood as did Peacocks the bakers,and the Castlebank Laundry. Richmond park laundry also served the area.
Oldandbold
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby valentine75 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:18 am

i remember the Marchetti vans used to frequent binns road in Gatharmlock in the 70's and over in babyland in ardencraig it was viking ice cream vans. Where i stay in castlemilk its been run by a local family for as long as i know
valentine75
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Mori » Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:17 pm

crollas ice cream Van Logo is the one i remember from my childhood in the east end around bridgeton area, ice cream was very yummy indeed.

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Daze » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:08 am

In Castlemilk in the 60s we had Pelosi come round every night!
Daze
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Targer » Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:07 am

Daze, would that have been Peter Pelosi whatever became of him?. Did they also have an ice cream shop on Scotland St in the 50's?
Targer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:01 pm

Targer wrote:Daze, would that have been Peter Pelosi whatever became of him?. Did they also have an ice cream shop on Scotland St in the 50's?

Pelosi still make ice cream, they have a small factory just at farme cross in rutherglen.
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby RapidAssistant » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:03 am

Glasgogirl wrote:My uncle ran an ice-cream van in Springboig for years in the late 60's early 70's.... there were ice cream van route wars back then haha. He parked the van at the State Cash & Carry in Shettleston. Ohhh the memories..

Oh yea - the "official" ice cream van for our scheme was Rodneys, they were based at The State, although I still have vivid memories of the actual Ice Cream Wars in the early 80s, when we typically had three different vans coming round in one day during the summer holidays - 1982-83 probably this was. As 5, 6, 7 year olds we all used to think this was great! If only we knew.....
RapidAssistant
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Ice cream vans

Postby Jim Boyle » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:06 pm

I worked in the silver cloud ice cream van in househillwood and craigbank in the 1960s does anyone have memories of ice cream vans and what they bought
Jim Boyle
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Ice cream vans

Postby neilmc » Sat Jun 13, 2015 10:43 pm

I grew up in Lunderston Drive in the 1960s, so probably bought Meredith & Drew Mini Chips and a Jellimallo off of you.

Was the Silver Cloud van a Commer or Karrier? I also remember Tosh's van, Jaconelli's, and the occasional appearance of the little Walls Ford Anglia van, which dispensed foamy ice cream via CO2 pressure: the other vans used a mashed potato scoop, so you got more ice cream for your money.
neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby donjuan » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:13 pm

[url=http://www.last.fm/user/DonJuanHG/?chartstyle=overallnamostylewoborder] [img]http://imagegen.last.fm/overallnamostylewoborder/recenttracks/DonJuanHG.gif[/img] [/url]
donjuan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)