Dirty Bastards!! -Renfrew Ferry-

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Dirty Bastards!! -Renfrew Ferry-

Postby Dave » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:49 pm

The subway carries 40,000 passengers a day, that's a lot of people to piss off in comparison to the odd granny who uses the ferry boat. Renfrew doesn't offer that much in reality, that said Yoker isn't much better other than it has a G post code and Clydebank no longer exists.
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:01 pm

Aye and the revenue from Galston station keeps First Scot rail in profit. Stop being a prick Dave. If you are going to be controversial try and be constructive .
Surely SPT have plenty of routes that make good profit and therefore some of the not so profitable routes , as a moral obligation should remain open . If a bus or train service in the city is chopped then there is scope for the public to make reasonable alterations to there journey. Unfortunatley with the removal of the ferry this then seems to become a very difficult loss to some people . I have never had any use for the ferrry but people I feel your pain. :cry:
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scottland » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:15 pm

There is the Helensburgh to Kilcreggan and Gourock alternative too. And there is a bus from Clydebank over the Erskine Bridge. or there was when I was on it 2 years ago.
Aye,well.
scottland
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:27 pm

hazy wrote:Aye and the revenue from Galston station keeps First Scot rail in profit. Stop being a prick Dave. If you are going to be controversial try and be constructive .

Galston Station was closed sometime ago I'm afraid. There's houses and a Sir Chris Hoy champion del mundo dog shit path in place of it. I'm not trying to be controversial either, seriously who the fuck uses the Renfrew/Yoker crossing, and by that I mean what actual impact to life will there be by removing it and asking the odd granny to catch a bus or swim.
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:05 am

scottland wrote:There is the Helensburgh to Kilcreggan and Gourock alternative too.

Excellent, I shall let my 98 year old grandmother know, forthwith. :wink:
8O
::):
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:08 am

Dave wrote:by removing it and asking the odd granny to catch a bus or swim.

I'm telling my 98 year old Granny on you, you controversial cunt. ::): ::): ::):
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby banjo » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:09 am

yokerbrian,scottland is correct.there is a bus ran by the arriva company that leaves clydebank bus stance at 17 minutes past the hour and goes to paisley town centre via the airport.i think a day ticket costs 2.50,the bus goes via clydebank,mountblow,erskine[every lampost] inchinnan ,airport ,paisley.takes about 40 mins to reach inchinnan on this route and the bus number is 200,hope this helps mate.
banjo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:16 am

HollowHorn wrote:I'm telling my 98 year old wee sister on you, you controversial cunt. ::): ::): ::):
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:28 am

hazy wrote:There is a private company already looking into it. Sniff sniff.

I have heard something of that nature in the last hour from a source that I can't divulge at the moment, early stages but a lot of work to be done yet.

hazy wrote:Stop being a prick Dave. If you are going to be controversial try and be constructive .

hear, hear - I resisted the temptation to fall into the trap of arguing with Dave and his less than helpful suggestions, stick your row boat up yer hole! 8O

banjo wrote:yokerbrian,scottland is correct.there is a bus ran by the arriva company that leaves clydebank bus stance at 17 minutes past the hour and goes to paisley town centre via the airport.i think a day ticket costs 2.50,the bus goes via clydebank,mountblow,erskine[every lampost] inchinnan ,airport ,paisley.takes about 40 mins to reach inchinnan on this route and the bus number is 200,hope this helps mate.

Thanks Banjo & Scottland, at least your suggestion was helpful, I have got the timetable from the web, the cost isn't an issue it's the hassle factor and the length of time it will now take her to make such a relatively short trip, and eating into my mums own leisure time.
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:31 am

By 'less than helpful' I suppose you mean 'not aligned exactly with your thoughts'. Who's being a prick or unconstructive when you will not consider any possible alternative. Cockend.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:45 am

Dave wrote:By 'less than helpful' I suppose you mean 'not aligned exactly with your thoughts'. Who's being a prick or unconstructive when you will not consider any possible alternative. Cockend.

I don't think I actually called you a prick or indeed unconstructive - I mearly confirmed that my thoughts agreed with a previous poster, and the suggestion of buying a row boat from or second hand minibus from ebay whilst flippant and amusing are not a serious alternative, but thanks for your input, helpful or otherwise.
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dave » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:53 am

yoker brian wrote:I don't think I actually called you a prick or indeed unconstructive - I mearly confirmed that my thoughts agreed with a previous poster, and the suggestion of buying a row boat from or second hand minibus from ebay whilst flippant and amusing are not a serious alternative, but thanks for your input, helpful or otherwise.

Fair-dos, but I think you will find in time that new routes via bus will transpire in time. This isn't a huge loss, perhaps even a benefit when folk realise the benefit of the free tolls on Scottish Bridges can be capitalised by buses
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Johnny_Gogo » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:00 am

I'm thinking that Renfrew is in whatever shire and Yoker is in Glasgow, so who is actually subsidising a £1.70 fare against 3 quid cost for every passenger journey?
Johnny_Gogo
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Mori » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:06 am

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:12 am

Herald

Private firms bid to operate Renfrew Ferry

Published on 22 Jan 2010

The ferries are set to be sold and staff are being offered alternative jobs within SPT.

Four private operators are in talks about providing a replacement service for the Renfrew Ferry, which will sail for the last time on March 31 after almost six centuries.

Strathclyde Partnership for Transport, which operates the ferry, yesterday decided to scrap the service, saving £400,000 a year. The transport authority has to make savings of £2.5 million in the year from April.

At present, it is subsiding each £1.20 fare by almost £3, which SPT officials say is not good value for money. The two ferries will be sold and SPT is in discussions with the eight staff about the possibility of them transferring to other SPT operations like the Glasgow Subway.

However, Mr Watson said he was in discussion with four companies interested in setting up a new service.

He said: “There has been significant interest from the private sector with four offers from firms which want to look at our Renfrew/Yoker operation and we are prepared to sit down with them almost immediately.”

But Ms Alexander said: “This short-sighted decision is a slap in the face to everyone who campaigned to keep the ferry link.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)