Model Railways and other Wee Worlds

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Model Railways and other Wee Worlds

Postby aland » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:11 am

i was in the wee room where the 3 rail layout was with my N guage layout. so if you were in there and spoke to the tall bloke with a "fancy a tickle t-shirt" that was moi
aland
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:14 am

I knew it! :roll: I only noticed that room on the way out, silly moo that I am. :oops:
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fraz13 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:39 am

We took a wee nip doon to see this as well and was amazed at the detail, The big set up in the main hall even had a train wreck and a funeral going on. Nice to meet you as well aland.
Fraz13
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bankie Boy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:33 pm

I have very fond memories of being taken to Central Station as a child at Christmas to see a magnificent model railway as a special treat. I would love to build a small layout (limited space) but don't really know where to start. Can anyone offer some advice?
The best things in life aren't things
Bankie Boy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:19 pm

I'd welcome some thoughts too. I've a one-bed flat and I'd like to put the Clan on display somehow.

The funeral was one of many things going on in that display. It was called Strathshooglie and it belongs to Kilmarnock and District MRC see here >>

Just off to one side you'll notice a wee hoodie with a scythe!
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby aland » Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:27 pm

okay where to start with a layout, I always find the best way is to start with a mug of good tea and a cream cake, work out how much space you have and what you want to put in it. now BD you have a express passenger loco so unless you have space for it to be running on a loop with a 6 coach train you are in trouble. however it will look good on a small shed diorama, this can be as small as 4' by 2', few locos shunting back and forward on shed.

if you are starting from scratch then go down the digitsl control route saves a load of wiring

tell me what kind of space you have and I will allow my creative side to come up with some plans, the main thing is planning it, building is easy if you have basic woodwork skills as you have to get a good level baseboard. I use 2" by 1" framing with 12mm mdf on top
aland
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:09 pm

I might be able to squeeze 4' x 2' out of the space available to me, but I think the more realistic proposition would be a static display, perhaps with some engineering types carrying out some maintenance. Clan Buchanan was based at Polmadie, I believe, so that's a good local backdrop to be working on, I would have thought. I'd need some contemporary photos to work from. The loco was only in service from 1952 for about ten years. I know it was cut up in September 1963.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bankie Boy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:11 pm

Thanks for the offer of help. I was thinking about a layout that would fit on a board about 6ft x3ft or even better I would like to mount it on something like a reinforced folding pasting table as I don't have the space for a permanent layout. Do you think that would be possible?
Thanks again.
Bankie Boy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:25 pm

One of the most interesting concepts for the space starved modeller is the "Inglenook" concept. This is essentially a puzzle, where you have a couple of sidings, a set number of wagons, and one locomotive, and the idea is to shunt the wagons from the starting order, to a pre-determined final order, usually by putting coloured stickers on teh wagons and shuffling a pack of couloured cards. Layout size can be as small as 1' x 4', so you could have a loco depot as a separate section to display the engine as well as having fun on the otehr bit

Go to http://www.wymann.info/ShuntingPuzzles/sw-inglenook.html for a good description of this sort of thing. also try RMweb, where modellers have come up with very small layouts - whould you believe a boxfile layout?
[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby aland » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:32 pm

bb at 36" you are on 1st radius curves, so awfy tight, would say going to 6' by 4" and using 2nd radius plus mdf comes in 4' by 2' boards. pasting tables are way too flimsy. fo for 12mm mdf, 2" by 1" framing and folding legs

can have a nice wee layout on that nae bother
aland
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bankie Boy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:55 pm

Thanks for the advice so far. When I said a pasting table I was meaning a pro jobby that will support the weight of a well built painter and decorator who likes a few pies, not a B+Q hardboard thingy. What are your thoughts on N Guage to save space and squeeze more into a pint pot?
Bankie Boy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby aland » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:28 pm

I work a lot in both N and OO and with N you can get a lot into a smaller space, especially scenics. only thing is that although the standards of british N have improved a lot you are paying OO prices for the trains. a 6' by 3' will get you a double track continous run with a nice station and some hills etc
aland
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:00 pm

A little corner of 1960s Glasgow is starting to take shape in my loft, don't hold your breath but the intention is to do a cut down model of Buchanan Street!!

Initial pictures, the backscene was built up from pictures trawled off the internet plus proprietary card models, still a long way to go but it is a start.

Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:34 pm

Ooh look! Wee high flats! Pass the bangers... :D
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:22 am

BrigitDoon wrote:Ooh look! Wee high flats! Pass the bangers... :D

The flats are a freebie with this months Hornby Magazine, with a colour photocopier and enough room you could do Red Road Flats (as a backdrop to St Rollox Depot of course!!) :D

Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)