Empire sign in Brunswick St.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby donjuan » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:03 am

john wrote:I have a hazy recollection of (I think) a newspaper article saying the sign was to be taken down and preserved, while the derelict buildings around are demolished to make way for the new Selfridges.

On the other hand, my mind may have just made that up! Gosh.... isn't reality tenuous?

I heard they pulled the plug on the new Selfridge's in Glasgow, dose anyone know if it's still on the cards. I haven't been down that way for a while so i don't know if there's any construction, or anything like that going on.
[url=http://www.last.fm/user/DonJuanHG/?chartstyle=overallnamostylewoborder] [img]http://imagegen.last.fm/overallnamostylewoborder/recenttracks/DonJuanHG.gif[/img] [/url]
donjuan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby crusty_bint » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:16 am

Hey Don... Selfridges got bought over by some Canadian tycoon last year who has cut back its its expansion plans. However, there has been no confirmation that they have pulled out, but also theres been no planning applications made. Rumour on SkyScraperCity forums was that they could still possibly locate in Glasgow, but probably on a much smaller scale than had previously been hoped.

And so Brunswick St remains a schit hole.

Crusty
here i go, it's coming for me through the trees
crusty_bint
-
-

Postby escotregen » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:42 pm

Donjuan I'm the same as Crusty in understanding that the Selfridge thing is at present very unlikely to come off. This seems to be down to apparent dithering over grand strategy within Selfridges - City tipsters (oops sorry, analysts) have their pencils out on odd making for whether another fiasco like M&S's woes may be looming. The local issue for Glasgow is that the Selfridge development was meant to be the keystane in the regeneration of that end of Argyle Street with the new retail development at the Cross giving some contiguity all along the commercial street frontage (that's the ghastly new development for which a Greek Thompson warehouse was demolished).
It's all a bit rough on the Council Regen Services who have shown good bold visioning on how to capitalise on the Merchant City success and to turn around this end of Argyle Street.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby john-g » Sun May 08, 2005 8:29 pm

It's been moved to the central courtyard of the block bounded by the trongate, bell, albion and high streets.

It's likely just the artist having a laugh.
john-g
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Shazbat » Sat Oct 22, 2005 3:02 pm

In this locale there is also a companion piece. The neon sign for the old Mitre Bar (bloody good pub - requiescant in pace) in Brunswick Street. :cry:
Shazbat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)