Coila Park: where Was It?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Coila Park: where Was It?

Postby Josef » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:19 pm

peter wrote:Coila Park as I recall was at back of Souhern Gen hospital. We used to take a path through to my pal in Hardgate road.

C'mon, Peter. There only are fifteen posts on this thread. We've settled all that already, maps, aerial photos and everything. Keep up, my good man. :wink:
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gedboy » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:33 pm

Many thanks guys and gals. I have nailed the place which was where many had said.

As to my possible romantic history, I could make it up but being a historian it just wouldn't be right :-)

How about another question: the Reform Club in 6 Cressy Street... is it the old Stephen's Apprentice Club? A week to finish the text and I'm still rooting around for bits and bobs...
gedboy
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby robertpool » Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:05 pm

"How about another question: the Reform Club in 6 Cressy Street... is it the old Stephen's Apprentice Club?"

Why not go in and ask them, someone might know it's origin
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gedboy » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:58 pm

Trying not to leave the mancave atm. Few thousand words to write before the Bells. It is a long shot. Someone has phoned on my behalf with no luck.

Priority is to finish the Football chapter then write the introduction. It all makes sense to me you know.
gedboy
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby robertpool » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:46 am

I have checked my 1962 & 1971 Kelly's Directories and both have Stephen Boys Club at no 4 Cressy Street, (Allan Blacklaws Supt in 1962 & 1971) does that help

1962 & 1971 there was also :

Stephen Lawn Tennis Club , Stephen Recreation Grounds, Renfrew Road, Glasgow. The Tennis Club had been there since at least 1933 when the Sec was Mr. T. Kennedy of 23 Barnwell Terrace, Glasgow

Stephen Recreation Club, Coila Park, Renfrew Road, Glasgow

Have a Happy New Year
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:31 pm

In 1954 Stephen Recreation Lawn Tennis Club had a womens team in second place in the 11th Division and a second womens team in 7th place in the 15th Division. They had a mens team in 8th place in the 12th Division and got into the 3rd round of the Junior Calcutta Cup. All in the West of Scotland Tennis Leagues. So they were quite an established tennis club. In those days there were a lot of "works" tennis teams. Albion Motors, Clyde Paper,Pressed Steel, Babcock & Wilcox, Templetons Carpets,Anchor Mills,Hallside Steel Works, Kirkintilloch Miners Welfare,Yarrow, Barcley Curle,Drysdales,Brown & Polson,Rolls Royce,Singer,Mechans,India of Inchinnan,Ferguslie Mills,Harland & Wolff.Stewarts & LLoyds, Scottish Gas, J&P Coates cStaff Club, etc etc.all "works" tennis teams. Plus a few churches also had tennis courts and played in these leagues.I recall the prison officers at Barlinne had a tennis club which was called "Civil Service" and you played at Barlinne. Any more I wonder?
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)