Glasgows Closed Railway Routes

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Glasgows Closed Railway Routes

Postby Josef » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:00 pm

Thanks, A. I confess I looked at them a couple of times myself.

Are they the same maps? I'm sure I saw the multiple Bothwell and Uddingston stations originally, but maybe I'm confusing it with another thread.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby draugelis » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:00 pm

Grahame wrote:OK, here's the scan (click HERE for the big picture):

There seems to be another little branch running off the Knightswood Mineral Depot siding - could that be the one you're looking for?

Great map, Grahame. Being just a little bit selfish, is there a map for slightly further south of the area to include locations such as Ponfeich/Douglas Water, Glespin and out towards the mining villages of South Ayrshire?

Cheers
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - Tom Waits
draugelis
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Grahame » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:39 am

draugelis wrote:, is there a map for slightly further south of the area to include locations such as Ponfeich/Douglas Water, Glespin and out towards the mining villages of South Ayrshire?

There are maps for the whole bloomin' country, but don't expect me to be scanning in the entire book!
Here's Southern Scotland for you, including ferry routes - this is a two pager so there is a bit of a gap-ette in the middle:

Full size image HERE.
Grahame
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby draugelis » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:44 pm

Grahame wrote:[There are maps for the whole bloomin' country, but don't expect me to be scanning in the entire book!
Here's Southern Scotland for you, including ferry routes - this is a two pager so there is a bit of a gap-ette in the middle:

Full size image HERE.

Thanks Grahame - the map's much appreciated, as is your patience! :D
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - Tom Waits
draugelis
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:09 am

First update posted, Gap74s post on newton triggered a memory of having done a map of mineral lines around then on another post, so I dug out the map and incorporated in in the SE map, this has also been expanded out to Bothwell, Uddingston and Blantyre. Corrections and updates made to the others.

[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby NelMac » Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:22 pm

Hi all, I was looking on google earth at the now filled in bridge on crow road (up at the lock27). I was wondering where the old line originated and where it went! I remember in the early 80's a HUGE plant/structural thing going on. When I asked one of the workmen they told me the petrol station had a leaking tank and it had created an underground stream of fuel that had eroded all the way from the petrol station on the switchback!!!, (next to the cop shop), all the way, downhill, to the old line there. Whether that is true or not, I don't know but there was a very strong smell of fuel for months there! Anyway, the bridge/short tunnel has been filled in and the structural 'pins' can be seen from the air as two sets of 4 staggered square marks on crow road. These dont portray the actual direction of the old line but theyre quite close because they are IN the old short tunnel. I was wondering where the line WENT ? All traces of it seem to have vanished. I remember the timber yard (robinson dunn & Co) and the line passed their old 'head office' (which was latterly converted into some dodgy boozer aptly named 'the canal'), WHO'D want to drink in the canal I don't know but the fact it has closed and is now in disrepair tells me everyone else thought that too!!!! Anyway, the line went under the switchback and emerged on the other side where they built new houses, (again in the early 80's). There was a timber creosote plant at the top of crow road just past the bridge, (heading south from the lock 27) and that had a small gauge track in it for moving large amounts of timber into and out of their oven/tank things! That may be the track mentioned earlier.
NelMac
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby moonbeam » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:57 am

Bairds siding was Temple Iron works. So it ran to the north and was part of the siding to the timber yard.
There was another siding off this to the north into a contractors yard. ie civil engineering company. Barr and Stroud had a siding at the rear of their brass foundry. Now Morrisons. Also their was a siding to a small tank farm. I think it was white spirit that was being put in the tanks.Between Barr & Stroud and Anniesland station. Was it Capel Careless and Leonard who ran it? This may be Hunters siding. If you look at old maps between Drumchapel and Drumry you will see garscadden siding. Prior to 1886 this had a rail connection to some mines in the Peel Glen area of Drumchapel. Likewise Drumchapel prior to the station opening had two branch line to Drumchapel No1 colliery in the present Drumchapel Gardens and Drumchapel No 2 colliery between Essenside Ave and the present railway. You can see the outline of these railway tracks to this day.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby moonbeam » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:01 pm

Forgot to mention. If you go down Fulton Street you will see where the railway crossed over the road.
There used to be a pub called the signal box on the left. Dont know if its still there.
Then a few hundred yards west where a branch line to Garscube Quarry , the IOCO proofing works and on to the western colliery (1896) ran under Fulton Street. There were a number of brickworks with rail connections. Coltness, Garscube and P&M Hurll had brick works which seemed to close by 1914. There was a fairly extensive goods yard to the rear of the houses on Great Western Road on the left hand side before Anniesland Cross.I recall seeing steam engines shunting coal wagons on a regular basis in this goods yard. If you look at Knightswood Secondary School on Anniesland Road just before the traffic lights to turn into Knightswood Road you will see the railway cutting for the line into the colliery where Knightswood Fire Station is now situated. It connected to the Cowdenhill Branch.
moonbeam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:20 am

If anyone's interested, I was in Abbey Books in Paisley yesterday, and they had a large pile of old railway, steam and generally train-related books that they've recently bought in a house-clearance or somesuch.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby NelMac » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:35 pm

Hi and thanks for the replies, I remember the old 'signal box' (pub) 'cos neds would chuck bricks etc over the edge as you walked by!! (whilst on the way to the 100 Break snooker club that used to be there)!! That plot looked very 'railway-ish' and like an old goods yard of some nature. It fascinates me how much the landscape can change over the years. I also remember 'Wolf power tools' had a small office/building on crow road just beside Barr and Stroud and from there, occassionally, you could also catch a glimpse of a LASER, shining onto the target that used to be at Knightswood cross, (coming from Barr and Stroud)!! The target got removed sometime ago, it was a strange thing to have on the horizon. A black box on a white background, within a black edge/perimeter. Anyway, cheers !!!!
NelMac
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)