Glasgows Closed Railway Routes

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Glasgows Closed Railway Routes

Postby Alycidon » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:42 pm

Hi all - I have started a project to map the closed railways in Glasgow, using as a basis a table found on the web and thankfully saved as an Excel spreadsheet as the site is no longer active. There are several lines listed that are somewhat obscure, as they refer to mineral or industrial lines. Two examples are as follows, both are in the Anniesland/Knightswood area on the branch to Knightswood mineral depot previously discussed on another thread.

The lines are "Anniesland, Hunters Siding to Knightswood Mineral Depot" closed 7th June 1965 and (KNIGHTSWOOD SOUTH JN) to Baird's Siding, closed 1st October 1971. I do know the location of Knightswood Mineral Depot and Knightswood South Junction, but if anyone can help me with the location of Hunters Siding and Bairds Siding I would appreciate it. I think that Bairds was Temple Iron Works on Crow Road, but Hunters completely eludes me.

Any help would be appreciated, and if the thread develops I hope to post the maps soon, once I have tied up a few more loose ends.

JBH
[img]http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/emu314carcream.gif[/img]

We must perform a Quirkafleeg!!!!
Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Glasgows Closed Railway Routes

Postby tobester » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:45 pm

Jonno22 may be your man for any info.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:00 pm

I've been starting to do something in a similar vein

Got a map with this on it so far http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=102174373512217691167.00046cef270b1f48d00d9&t=h&z=10

I've mainly been looking at old maps and comparing it with the "Complete Atlas of Railway Station Names" book.

/goes back to hiding railway geekiness
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby jonno22 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:01 pm

I thought I would have been some help you to you but on this occasion I am sorry I cannot help you out. I'd need to see the maps. One thought though, the line could have linked up with Kelvindale Tunnel and through to Temple Gasworks? A possibility perhaps

Best Regards

Jonathan McGurk

Railway and Freelance Photographer

www.jonathanmcgurk.fotopic.net

[email protected]
jonno22
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby aland » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:37 am

some that spring to mind are paisley canal to kilmacolm/greenock princes pier, the canal line should never have been shut and certainly should not have been built on at paisley and elderslie, you also had the lochwinnoch loop that left just before johnston and ran on the other side of the loch through kilbirnie and joined again at beith north

got to laugh with the plans to re-open canal to elderslie as they have just realised that arkleston jnc to sheilds jnc cant cope you are still going to have a bottleneck at sheilds jnc and smithy lye as there is only 3 tracks between smithy lye and the signalbox. best thing they can do is shove all the freight through the canal line and down the burmah road/rabbit hole at sheilds depot as if the plans for hunterston happen there will be a lot more stuff using that route
aland
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:55 pm

OK Guys - here are the maps so far, they are in bitmap format so feel free to download and examine (this also makes then a bit bit file size). I will keep updating them as soon as I research new info, I still have a pile of old maps and books to get through.

jbh

[Admin edit] : See a few posts down for the images above.

Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby The_Clincher » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:06 pm

Great work Alycidon!
The_Clincher
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Grahame » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:56 am

Great stuff, Aly.

I have an old Ian Allan Pre-Grouping atlas that has a page mapping Glasgow & District routes. It's not in any great detail as it covers from Old Kipatrick in the west to Plains in the east, and from Milngavie in the north to East Kilbride in the south; but if you think it'll be of any help I'll scan it in for you.
Grahame
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby MacotheIsles » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:44 am

Alicydon...

Excellent work. Very interesting.

Probably irrelevant, butI remember seeing an in-works narrow gauge line up near the canal at Temple during demolition back in the 90s. Do these non-standard, localised systems count? Also, talking of Anniesland/Temple I rember a siding running off the electrified line to the left, just before the canal tunnel heading west, leading into a works. It was notable because the rails were set on concrete blocks rather than sleepers. Not sure if this is one of the ones you're looking for.
MacotheIsles
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:54 am

Grahame wrote:Great stuff, Aly.

I have an old Ian Allan Pre-Grouping atlas that has a page mapping Glasgow & District routes. It's not in any great detail as it covers from Old Kipatrick in the west to Plains in the east, and from Milngavie in the north to East Kilbride in the south; but if you think it'll be of any help I'll scan it in for you.

Please do Grahame - in this game there is no such thing as too much information!!

Thanks

Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:20 pm

Excellent stuff :)
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Grahame » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:45 pm

OK, here's the scan (click HERE for the big picture):

There seems to be another little branch running off the Knightswood Mineral Depot siding - could that be the one you're looking for?
Grahame
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:44 pm

Grahame wrote:OK, here's the scan (click HERE for the big picture):

There seems to be another little branch running off the Knightswood Mineral Depot siding - could that be the one you're looking for?

Great Map Grahame - as usual it adds more questions as well as answers, I will need to check out that additional route between Cambuslang and Newton, although it may be railways serving mines.

Thanks

Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:42 pm

That route south at Newton was a mineral line, it ran past the nail works and Hallside Steelworks, before running past Dechmont Colliery and terminating at what is now Loanend Bing near Blantyre.

I can certainly help out on the myriad of mineral and industrial lines round Newton, if that would be any help?
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alycidon » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:35 pm

OOPS!!! - the bitmap files must have been popular, as it crashed my website and I ended up with a yellow card from the ISP.

Here they are as more manageable Jpegs:

Alycidon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)