The MOBO Awards in Glasgow?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: The MOBO Awards in Glasgow?

Postby lus22 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:19 pm

I am "wimmonfolk".
And I'll be the first to admit that I didn't understand your phrase there about "poughkeepsie" or whatever...had to google....and really its not the case at all.

I had an apology earlier from Josef (moderator) and graciously accepted it-and apologised too if I had offended him... I don't want to keep going on about the same issue and would just like to give my opinions/query things without being ostracised....so like others have said.....bury the hatchet
lus22
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Schiehallion » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:10 pm

Josef wrote:
Glesga_Steve wrote:Josef, are you suggesting that Glasgow has never given anything to European football or achieved anything noteworthy in its competitions?

Tut, tut!

No. My (very) wee joke. And it drew a post from the sorely missed Schiehallion, so - result. :D

Aw I'm taking a pure riddy now!
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:16 pm

Aye looks a pretty good event to go to. 8)

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:03 pm

MOBO? Where are the modern-day equivalents of an endless list that would include Satchmo, Duke Ellington, Ella, Miles Davis, Coleman Hawkins, Dexter Gordon, Mingus (something of a recent discovery for me) Motown's writers, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Otis Redding, Aretha: writers, singers and players with a distinctive and influential style.
Can any of HG's younger contributers suggest anyone contemporary to stand alongside these - and other - giants? All suggestions will be listened to.

Le durachd,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:38 pm

Aye young uns and they better be better than this ole bird.

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:45 pm

and better than this one

Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:54 pm

And old song that some of you may recall.

Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:10 pm

Aretha Or Shakira Belly wobbling. You Choose.

Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:14 pm

Whit er you twa like eh? Yies sound like ma auld granny!

"I'll tell ye son, it was better in my day... there was none of this racket, bee bop and rabbiting the young uns pass off as music nowadays... we wouldn't have put up with it... ye know, in my day there was many a good chanter who could have charmed the birds from the trees... I blame them hippies, with their long hair and their Woodstock, that's when it all started to go wrong... national service and the birch, that's what's needed - that would sort em out!"

:wink:

PS - I reckon Beyonce is up there with the best of 'em
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:36 pm

Back to sleep Steve.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:53 am

::):
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:04 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
obvious we dont as a nation have a lot to do with MOBO(Music Of Black Origin) and i just found it a curious choice of venue.

Glasgow and Dundee were the strongholds for fans of soul in the sixties. Before that Glasgow musicians in both the thriving folk and jazz scenes took inspiration from black musicians. Even pop music fans in Glasgow liked Louis Jordan, Ell Mae Morse and the likes of The Platters, The Ink Spots and more. Whilst there was not a retro northern soul scene Glasgow clubs continued to feature contemporary black music through the seventies to the present day. Black fans felt comfortable at the various reggae nights at Cinders , the Mayfair and the Venue but were always heavily outnumbered.

Of course if youi bought your records from Listen you might have been unaware of this.

Dexter a'charaid,
You're like a dog returning to its own vomit, so you are! It's a good job I know you better. Did the staff at Listen throw you out, refuse to serve you or just not share your taste in music?
While it's true that they were, as my youngest would say, "a bit up themselves", they did stock music by black artists. I refer you to the Lost Record Shops thread: I bought "3x3" by the Isley Brothers, "Uncloudy Day" by the Staple Singers and lots more besides at a time when they would not have been stocked by the mainstream shops.
They did have a rather snooty - we don't stock teeny-bop music - approach but they didn't have a musical apartheid policy.

Le durachd,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:15 pm

dimairt wrote:MOBO? Where are the modern-day equivalents of an endless list that would include Satchmo, Duke Ellington, Ella, Miles Davis, Coleman Hawkins, Dexter Gordon, Mingus (something of a recent discovery for me) Motown's writers, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Otis Redding, Aretha: writers, singers and players with a distinctive and influential style.
Can any of HG's younger contributers suggest anyone contemporary to stand alongside these - and other - giants? All suggestions will be listened to.

Le durachd,

Eddy

Given the few responses, can I take it that there are no "modern day equivalents?" There are lots of 'youngsters' doing great things with traditional music, country music and jazz - pace Glasgow Steve - and even some 'oldies' doing great things too but there doesn't seem to be much happening in 'MOBO.' (Jazz apart)
Anyone?

Le durachd,
Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:53 pm

There are things happening in Music of black origin but the MOBO organisation does not recognise them. Soul or (Nu Soul as its proclaimers would have it) will be ignored in the nominations. The nation's charts have been taken over by the the very popified sounds of this year's Grime which came out of drum and base. (under thirty and an HG'r please correct me)

Last year's MOBO newcomer Chipmunk (no relation) has produced a very good pop record in Diamond Rings, however given that none of the artists you mentioned made a good record after 1970 I doubt you would know what was good black modern music.

I tend to hear the chart stuff, I am a fan of records by Beyonce, Shakira. The videos I put up were live recordings to show how good their voices are I like good riffs and there are plenty about.

I'm off out clubbing

Where it's not happening
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby floweredpig » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:18 pm

I remember watching Terence Trent D'Arby on The Tube in 1986,i was fifteen,and being pissed off because he didnt have short hair and wear a suit.
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)