The MOBO Awards in Glasgow?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: The MOBO Awards in Glasgow?

Postby flyman » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:15 am

All very valid points Dexter and for some of the younger posters on here a valuable history lesson.But its the same set up in any city across the UK anyone who has ever felt a twitch in the hip or the need to dance acknowledges the importance of the black music scene and the folk behind it.As a musician myself i acknowledge the greatness of some of the musicians accordingly.So yes Glasgow does not seem such a strange choice of venue for the event but im still sticking by my initial bafflement :? theres more cities who id havew thought would have been better served to host it.Now your other point who is youi and whats wrong with Listen? was it owned by the KKK? i was a Bruce's man myself................... :wink: btw the reggae nights in Glasgow were ok but not a patch on the ones i went to when i lived in London although that may have been a drug thing :P this is in danger of heading down the wrong route so i'll bow out now and go listen to Felonious.
Never Get Out Of The Boat
flyman
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:28 am

If you were ever in Listen, you know exactly what Dexter means, so don't be obtuse. :D

Was in there often, but I was a 'wee Bloggs' man, myself. I still miss that shop. The nearest equivalents are Avalanche Records next to Queen Street and the "I can't quite believe they actually make a living out of this but God bless 'em for existing" Volcanic Tongues on the West End bit of Argyle Street. A cross between the two, perhaps.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby flyman » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:56 am

Yes sorry Josef and indeed Dexter my Listen jibe was a wee bit naughty :D Listen was a hideous place i'll grant thee that .Ah memories misty water coloured memories of the way we were :cry: it seems like only yesterday that i had my copy of Sweet Gene Vincent signed in Bruces by Ian Dury and Chas Jankel.Im away to have a wee greet into my box of 78's . :wink:
flyman
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:04 am

Retrospectively, the thing that gets me about Listen was the handwritten lists (up to a dozen A4 sheets) of bootlegs (available by knocking three times at the counter and telling them Jimmy sent you, presumably) posted above the racks of records. Try that one now.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:10 pm

The Mobos are in Glasgow because it's a major conference facility.

If only Orangfest parades were like this we could attract more conventions

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby flyman » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:02 pm

Good God Dexter that picture takes me back to my Renfrewshire Council days.................... :wink: i dont think this will catch on with the follow follow brigade though it would be a bastard getting the big drum in one of those boots.
flyman
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lus22 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:29 pm

I think we should be grateful for any events such as the MOBO's to come to Scotland....don't see why down south gets all big events.....the Scots are much more hospitable and it brings something to our economy.
It's different really but I think it's a good thing.
lus22
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby flyman » Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:48 pm

The cynic in me is fighting the temptation to connect the above post to the others in the Lorne Park Hotel one oops did i type that out loud? :wink:
flyman
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lus22 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:55 pm

So now I do PR for the MOBO's is that it?
lus22
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:11 pm

flyman wrote:The cynic in me is fighting the temptation to connect the above post to the others in the Lorne Park Hotel one oops did i type that out loud? :wink:

I think your cynicism is bordering on the ridiculous flyman.

If that was some sort of attempt by lus22 to draw publicity for the LPH then it was the most half-arsed tenuous attempt I've ever seen in my life.

If he/she makes posts that are clearly PR influenced then he/she becomes fair game for our criticism.

He/she should, however, be allowed to make reasonable posts on other subjects without baseless accusations being thrown at them.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby flyman » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:35 pm

See the wee winky thing after the post i made? that usually tends to suggest that its kinda tongue in cheek.Trust me folks i couldnt give two fucks if you are trying to post stuff that is self promotion.I think some folk round these parts need to give themselves a shake and try not to take stuff too seriously.Steve as a fellow Steve please mate take some time and read most of the posts ive made on here,i dont think i've made a serious one yet.Naturally this will also be seen as cynicism bordering on ridiculous but hey ive got a fringe show to try and sell......... :wink: see winky thing fair enough most folk on here will probably think i'm a wee wanky thing but its a forum i dont know anyone in real life on here(yet) so for the moment its all fun and games until someone loses an eye as they say.Still it tickles me to imagine P Diddy shacking up in the Lorne Hotel .Luss22 if i've caused you any real distress then my apologies,fuck me ive done more apologising on here in the last few days than a Scottish MP recently....... :?
flyman
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lus22 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:09 pm

Do you know what....if people want to hit back then fine. I for one can't be bothered now to be honest.
However I am now rethinking my future career....job prospects...in the field of PR :wink:
lus22
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby John » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:17 pm

Come on guys let's bury the hatchet. Since you are here now why not hang around and we can all have a fresh start?
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby Shardonnay » Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:36 pm

John wrote:Come on guys let's bury the hatchet. Since you are here now why not hang around and we can all have a fresh start?

Big group hug guys :) This site is great and I can honestly say after meeting a few people from HG that they are aw wee pussycats and made me feel at ease. So welcome to the site lus22 and enjoy the banter , It can be great fun on here .
Shardonnay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:09 pm

Thank god for the wimminfolk.
Let's start again L22, tell me this, did you ever pick your feet in Poughkeepsie?
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)