The MOBO Awards in Glasgow?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

The MOBO Awards in Glasgow?

Postby flyman » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:29 am

I still cant get my napper around this one what has Glasgow ever given to music of black origin? most Glaswegians think Billy Holliday is the 12th of July wtf? still i sit poised waiting for the celebrated Scottish gangsta (senga?) rap posse Gingers With Attitude reforming to perform a mix of Jacko songs in tribute including,Wanna Be Tartan Something?,Ballieston Jean,Perth Song,Black Or White pudding,Ben(Lomond).Seriously tho why the move to Glasgow? anyone know? Then again maybe i'm wrong didnt Andy Stewart once sing"Donald Wheres Your Uzi?"
Never Get Out Of The Boat
flyman
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: The MOBO Awards in Glasgow?

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:55 am

::): ::): ::):

most Glaswegians think Billy Holliday is the 12th of July

Gingers With Attitude

a mix of Jacko songs in tribute including,Wanna Be Tartan Something?,Ballieston Jean,Perth Song,Black Or White pudding,Ben(Lomond)

One of the best posts I've ever read! :D
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:17 am

flyman wrote:I still cant get my napper around this one what has Glasgow ever given to music of black origin?

"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby flyman » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:46 am

I'll give you that one Dex and at a push i'd fight the Average White Bands corner but seriously MOBO's Glasgow? fair enough there were a lot of black folk making music in the tenements in Springburn when i was a lad but that had more to do with playing in the coal bunker rather than being a soul brother.
flyman
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:56 am

It's a music biz jolly. It's not like Glasgow's been named 'World City of Black Music 2009'.

They held the Champions League final in Glasgow recently. Enough said.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby flyman » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:05 am

Point taken Josef but still....................as music biz jollys go i think i'd be mighty pissed off with this one.Glasgows great and all that jazz but for me its still a strange choice.
flyman
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:36 am

flyman wrote:I still cant get my napper around this one what has Glasgow ever given to music of black origin?

Josef wrote:It's a music biz jolly. It's not like Glasgow's been named 'World City of Black Music 2009'.

They held the Champions League final in Glasgow recently. Enough said.

Josef, are you suggesting that Glasgow has never given anything to European football or achieved anything noteworthy in its competitions?

Tut, tut!

For those with poor memories, I shall point out the following...

Hampden has hosted three European Cup finals, including the one widely acclaimed to have been possibly the greatest game of football ever played: 1960, Real Madrid 7 - Eintracht Frankfurt 3, attended by 130,000 people. It also of course played host to the 2002 final you referred to, when Zidane scored one of the best goals ever to grace a European Cup final as Real Madrid defeated Bayer Leverkusen by two goals to one.

Three other UEFA competition finals have also been played at Hampden over the years: European-Cup Winners Cup finals in 1962 & 1966 and the UEFA Cup final in 2007, which was also a fantastic game.

Hampden holds the record for the highest attendance ever in a UEFA competition match - 136,505 for the 1970 European Cup semi-final between Celtic and Leeds United. The record for the largest attendance at any match ever played in Europe is also held by Hampden - 149,415 for the Home Championship match between Scotland and England in 1937.

Rangers were the losing European Cup-Winners Cup finalists in 1961.

Celtic of course won the European Cup in 1967, with Rangers losing the European Cup-Winners Cup final of the same year.

Celtic were the losing European Cup finalists in 1970.

Rangers won the European Cup-Winners Cup final of 1972.

In more recent times both Celtic and Rangers have reached the UEFA Cup final, losing in 2003 and 2008 respectively.

As well as finals, both halves of the Old Firm have reached the latter stages, including many semi-finals, of UEFA competitions on numerous occasions over the years.

All in all, I would say Glasgow has made a significant contribution to European football over the years and deserved to host the 2002 Champions League Final.

The MOBO Awards, on the other hand, are being carted around the country like a travelling circus.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:29 pm

And don't forget, Firhill Stadium hosted a European Cup tie long before Hampden, Parkhead or Ibrox!
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:12 pm

Glasgow is seen as city that can organise a good knees up. If the MOBO was to stay in London then we would all be going on about parochialism of the event and how we up here in the north never get to see this kind of show.
If you go out on a Saturday night most of the clubs in Glasgow have played MOBO so there is definatley a demand for this show to come to Glasgow. Just because we do not have a large black ( please dont give me into trouble for that) community does not mean we should be denied the event.
Get wee pugsey purcell out to LA am looking forward to the Oscars being relocated . :wink: Young man does a fine job for Glasgow.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby flyman » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:16 pm

I think i am in danger of this casting aspersions about my intentions .Trust me i'm not typing this wearing a white cloak and pointy hat ensemble.I'm only stating the obvious we dont as a nation have a lot to do with MOBO(Music Of Black Origin) and i just found it a curious choice of venue.Josef rightly points out that its a jolly of sorts and ok i kinda half knew that.Hazy on the other hand points out that nightclubs in Glasgow play MOBO music :roll: ah well thats it sorted then eh? Hazy i'm not a regular club goer but im guessing that every nightclub the length and breadth of say the world does the same.Fuck me i wish i'd never started this now,i'm off to my bowling club where the resident DJ plays music of the P.I.S.H variety.
flyman
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby flyman » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:20 pm

BTW i'm not really a member of a bowling club :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: and if i've offended anyone my sincere apologies trust me i've no hidden agendas.Hidden nude books maybe but no agendas :wink:
flyman
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:36 pm

hazy wrote:If the MOBO was to stay in London then we would all be going on about parochialism of the event and how we up here in the north never get to see this kind of show.

I have never heard/seen anyone question why the MOBOs had never been held in Glasgow or suggest that it should be held here - I think this is for the simple reason that very very few people would make any sort of association between MOBO and Glasgow. I would be saying the same thing if Glasgow was to host the Highland Games as I think the same argument applies.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining the MOBOs are coming up here (far from it!), nor am I suggesting we should be denied the opportunity (I think we are as deserving as most cities outside London) - I just think we are an unusual choice of venue for this particular awards show.

If you go out on a Saturday night to most clubs in any city or town across the length or breadth of the country you will hear MOBO being played. This is simply because MOBO is heavily represented in the charts nowadays because it has become popular across a wide spectrum of people. I myself will happily admit a particular enjoyment of R&B and hip-hop (though not rap so much - most of it bores me to tears).

As for the Oscars - please can we wait until we've fecked up (and wasted a shitload of money in the process) the Commonwealth Games first!
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby flyman » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:02 pm

I just wish someone would bring back MOJOS like they used to be like in the seventies.All those wee sweety shops that are cropping up everywhere sell poor imitations to the sweeties of my youth im afraid :cry: still at least the MOBOS will have some decent chanters on view i'm sitting in the room listening thru the wall to the wife watching MOFO's destroying the classics on bastard x factor.Damn this head cold thats making me stay in on a Saturday :P
flyman
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:29 pm

Glesga_Steve wrote:Josef, are you suggesting that Glasgow has never given anything to European football or achieved anything noteworthy in its competitions?

Tut, tut!

No. My (very) wee joke. And it drew a post from the sorely missed Schiehallion, so - result. :D
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:19 am

obvious we dont as a nation have a lot to do with MOBO(Music Of Black Origin) and i just found it a curious choice of venue.

Glasgow and Dundee were the strongholds for fans of soul in the sixties. Before that Glasgow musicians in both the thriving folk and jazz scenes took inspiration from black musicians. Even pop music fans in Glasgow liked Louis Jordan, Ell Mae Morse and the likes of The Platters, The Ink Spots and more. Whilst there was not a retro northern soul scene Glasgow clubs continued to feature contemporary black music through the seventies to the present day. Black fans felt comfortable at the various reggae nights at Cinders , the Mayfair and the Venue but were always heavily outnumbered.

Of course if youi bought your records from Listen you might have been unaware of this.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)