Rip roaring Rutherglen Fire

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Rip roaring Rutherglen Fire

Postby escotregen » Tue Jul 06, 2004 1:47 pm

Coming out the Rutherglen library last night I chanced on a spectacular fire that looks likely to see the end of another substantial Victorian Red Sandstone building - the St Columbkillies old 'school building' (long since community and education centre) at end of Kirkwood Street of the Main Street. It was quite something seeing a fire wholly out of control ripping through such a large building despite the efforts of the fire service (and was I the only person to be a bit uncomfortable about the super-positive image of the fire service being so unconscionably spun on telly during the recent Maryhill factory explosion?). The building was not an especially great architectural specimen, but I hate to think what, if anything, will replace what was a significant part of Rutherglen modern history.
escotregen
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Tue Jul 06, 2004 2:43 pm

i saw the smoke when I was leaving work yesterday, :(
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Osiris » Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:40 pm

I saw this as well last night, from way up on Cathkin Braes. What a great view of the city.

Before anyone asks, i was out on my mountain bike... not hangin around car parks as some ppl do up there!

Cheers, J
Osiris
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DickyHart » Tue Jul 06, 2004 4:14 pm

I believe you :wink:
Is this gonna be a standup fight, sir, or another bughunt?
DickyHart
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:55 pm

Look out for chaps with dog leads and no dogs! :wink:
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Sharon » Thu Jul 08, 2004 3:15 pm

Why do they hang around carparks?
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Osiris » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:02 am

Not sure Sharon, i'll make enquiries next time i'm up that way.

:wink:
Osiris
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:09 am

Hahahaaa.... from the cover of the bushes?

sorry :oops:
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Rip roaring Rutherglen Fire

Postby clogie girl » Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:50 am

escotregen wrote:Coming out the Rutherglen library last night I chanced on a spectacular fire that looks likely to see the end of another substantial Victorian Red Sandstone building - the St Columbkillies old 'school building' (long since community and education centre) at end of Kirkwood Street of the Main Street. It was quite something seeing a fire wholly out of control ripping through such a large building despite the efforts of the fire service (and was I the only person to be a bit uncomfortable about the super-positive image of the fire service being so unconscionably spun on telly during the recent Maryhill factory explosion?). The building was not an especially great architectural specimen, but I hate to think what, if anything, will replace what was a significant part of Rutherglen modern history.

This really stcks in my mind from when I was young, about 11 years old , and living in a typical 3 storeys high tennement building in the Gallowgate, all the neighbours were hanging out of there windows, discussing the spectacular blaze of the Picture house in Tollcross road, almost at Parkhead cross.......all that went through my mind was, oh, where will the ABC minors be now{ for you guys who are of a younger generation} it was the saturday morning cinema club.I can still remember vividly the scene, and I am going back 40 years.
Now present day, I live in Haarlem, just outside Amsterdam, and witnessed such a huge fire in a huge church in our neighbourhood last year,
The scene was incredible, and traffic from everywhere and people who came out of there houses to witness such a blaze.............many houses were destroyed attached to the building, and even in nearby streets,...... fire engines, and ambulances could not get access because of the spectators, when the ambulances did eventually get to the scene, there were hundreds of people witnessing the paramedics trying to save lives,
well 4 firefighters lost there lives fighting the blaze, so I guess this one will stay in my mind for many a year.
clogie girl
Just settling in
Just settling in

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)