Buttery Sugaries

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Buttery Sugaries

Postby Vinegar Tom » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:54 pm

MacotheIsles wrote:Anybody remember Haliborange tablets?

That was all we had for sweets when I was wee :(

Seriously though , it was a daily ritual unscrewing the lid of the bottle , taking out the cotton wool bung and fishing out 2 wee pills , one each for me and my brother.
What was in them exactly 8O
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:05 pm

Vinegar Tom wrote:What was in them exactly 8O

Glucose Syrup, Sugar, Water, Gelatin, Sweetener: Sorbitol; Vitamin C, Acidity Regulator: Citric Acid; Pectin, Niacinamide, Vitamin E, Calcium Pantothenate, Flavour: Strawberry (0.25%); Vitamin B12 Prep. (Maltodextrin, Vitamin B12), Gellan Gum, Colour: Carmine Prep. (Carmines, Potassium Hydroxide, Citric Acid), Vitamin B6, Glazing Agents: Triglycerides of Fatty Acids, Carnauba Wax; Vitamin A Prep. (Vitamin A Palmitate, DL-alpha-Tocopherol), Vitamin D Prep. (Sunflower Oil, Vitamin D).
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:34 pm

Dexter St. Clair wrote:
Glucose Syrup, Sugar, Water, Gelatin, Sweetener: Sorbitol; Vitamin C, Acidity Regulator: Citric Acid; Pectin, Niacinamide, Vitamin E, Calcium Pantothenate, Flavour: Strawberry (0.25%); Vitamin B12 Prep. (Maltodextrin, Vitamin B12), Gellan Gum, Colour: Carmine Prep. (Carmines, Potassium Hydroxide, Citric Acid), Vitamin B6, Glazing Agents: Triglycerides of Fatty Acids, Carnauba Wax; Vitamin A Prep. (Vitamin A Palmitate, DL-alpha-Tocopherol), Vitamin D Prep. (Sunflower Oil, Vitamin D)

That is disappointing. It all looks pretty harmless. I was expecting mainly dioxins.

Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby draugelis » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:28 pm

Vinegar Tom wrote:
Dexter St. Clair wrote:
Glucose Syrup, Sugar, Water, Gelatin, Sweetener: Sorbitol; Vitamin C, Acidity Regulator: Citric Acid; Pectin, Niacinamide, Vitamin E, Calcium Pantothenate, Flavour: Strawberry (0.25%); Vitamin B12 Prep. (Maltodextrin, Vitamin B12), Gellan Gum, Colour: Carmine Prep. (Carmines, Potassium Hydroxide, Citric Acid), Vitamin B6, Glazing Agents: Triglycerides of Fatty Acids, Carnauba Wax; Vitamin A Prep. (Vitamin A Palmitate, DL-alpha-Tocopherol), Vitamin D Prep. (Sunflower Oil, Vitamin D)

That is disappointing. It all looks pretty harmless. I was expecting mainly dioxins.

I fed my daughter all those healthy ingredients until she was old enough (12) to tell me to fu... get lost!

Quite frankly, it would scare me to check out "Gellan Gum" (I assume the pre-cursor to my wee lassie's evident addiction to Wrigleys?) or "DL-alpha-Tocopherol" on t'interweb for fear of what I might find out what I've been ignorantly feeding her over the years in the name of health!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - Tom Waits
draugelis
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:25 pm

draugelis wrote:I fed my daughter all those healthy ingredients until she was old enough (12) to tell me to fu... get lost!

Quite frankly, it would scare me to check out "Gellan Gum" (I assume the pre-cursor to my wee lassie's evident addiction to Wrigleys?) or "DL-alpha-Tocopherol" on t'interweb for fear of what I might find out what I've been ignorantly feeding her over the years in the name of health!

As a food additive, gellan gum is used as a thickener, emulsifier, and stabilizer. It has E number E418. It was an integral part of the now defunct Orbitz soft drink.

It is used in soya milks to keep the soy protein suspended in the milk.[2]
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:39 pm

It's a puir edumacation in here, soitis. ::):
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby job78989 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:26 pm

Syrup of Figs anyone :) :P
job78989
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:27 am

job78989 wrote:Syrup of Figs anyone :) :P

Apparently, I loced the taste and once drank a whole bottle. According to my dad there was shite on the ceiling.
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lone Groover » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:19 am

As a treat my Mum would put make orange squash and put teaspoon of Andrews Liver salts in it.

I loved that stuff, and one day...... well, see Joes post for the approximate result, I have disliked the sound of a flock of starlings ever since. :mrgreen:
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:28 am

::): ::): ::):
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Shardonnay » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:14 am

Lone Groover wrote: I have disliked the sound of a flock of starlings ever since. :mrgreen:

Cheers for that. Was happily listening to one of my favourites songs " Starlings " by Elbow . Never will it sound quite the same again.

The violets explode inside me
When I meet your eyes
Then I'm spinning and I'm diving
Like a cloud of Starlings

Darling is this love ?
Shardonnay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ninatoo » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:54 am

Some of you have such a way with words! I have been laughing my head off at the images conjured by these posts...

HH My Mum always used vinegar on our heads 'for the shine' but we also never had head lice, so it may have deterred them somehow.

When we had a stubborn fever, she also used to give us what she called 'vinegar baths', which was a sponge bath with vinegar and tepid water.

If she had added salt, we could have been mistaken for a bag of chips (crisps). :roll: Yeah, I know, obvious...oh well....

The poultice thing....mum had her life saved as a one year old with pneumonia when her granny used some sort of poultice on her back all night long, after the doctor had written her off. He had said "She'll no see the morning.' To which my Mum's Granny replied "Not if I have anything to do with it." or something more Glaswegian which meant the same thing. ::):

Lucky she was around or I probably wouldn't be here!
ninatoo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)