How do you get there?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

How do you get there?

Postby floweredpig » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:22 am

As most of us live and work in and around Glasgow i thought it would be intresting to see how you all travel to work and by which method.What things you spot on the way,what you love and hate about it,how long it takes and what alternatives have you tried? Also if anyone knows a better or faster route then lets share it.
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: How do you get there?

Postby John » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:24 am

I work at home and find it difficult as I don't see enough of the outside world. I often walk to my local train station and back each morning and evening to give me the illusion of participating in the human race.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby BrigitDoon » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:53 am

Being a lady of leisure, work is an alien concept to me. Nonetheless, I travel into Glasgow often and this usually involves catching the Number 20 Drumchapel bus that stops on my doorstep. Sometimes at weekends when the service is less frequent, I will walk to the end of the road where the 16 and 18 also stop.

So I go past the Whirlies and on towards Cathkin. Past Nerston, there is a good view from the top of a double-decker and one can see most of Glasgow and the hills beyond. The view sweeps 'round of take in the hills of Fife on a clear day and even to Tinto.

There's a roundabout at the bottom of the hill and the number 20 goes through Fernhill where there's a good view across to the Red Road flats. The 18 and 16 rumble down through Rutherglen and they get stuck at the Main Street lights for ages. The route goes through Dalmarnock and Bridgeton and there's little to see except the Clyde at Dalmarnock Bridge.

Meantime, the number 20 goes 'round the other side of Rutherglen and along Glasgow Road through Oatlands before passing through Gorbals. All services stop at Stockwell Place and that's where I get off unless I need a train to somewhere and I'll get off at George Square if it's the number 20.

Taxis are too expensive. Sometimes I'll catch the train home and walk from East Kilbride station, two miles away.

There's a number 66 bus which I catch sometimes when going home. It goes through Queen's Park, Clarkston and the arse-end of EK before passing within quarter-of-a-mile of my doorstep.

The number 20 is the most convenient as it is stuck in traffic the least and takes about 40 minutes to go from the Whirlies to George Square.

Ideally, I'd like one of those motorcycles like the Hair Bear Bunch had. :)
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tobester » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:32 am

I use car as my shifts start/finish at awkward times for train, altho i do spend 35-40hrs a week on them.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby floweredpig » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:44 pm

BrigitDoon wrote:Being a lady of leisure, work is an alien concept to me. Nonetheless, I travel into Glasgow often and this usually involves catching the Number 20 Drumchapel bus that stops on my doorstep. Sometimes at weekends when the service is less frequent, I will walk to the end of the road where the 16 and 18 also stop.

So I go past the Whirlies and on towards Cathkin. Past Nerston, there is a good view from the top of a double-decker and one can see most of Glasgow and the hills beyond. The view sweeps 'round of take in the hills of Fife on a clear day and even to Tinto.

There's a roundabout at the bottom of the hill and the number 20 goes through Fernhill where there's a good view across to the Red Road flats. The 18 and 16 rumble down through Rutherglen and they get stuck at the Main Street lights for ages. The route goes through Dalmarnock and Bridgeton and there's little to see except the Clyde at Dalmarnock Bridge.

Meantime, the number 20 goes 'round the other side of Rutherglen and along Glasgow Road through Oatlands before passing through Gorbals. All services stop at Stockwell Place and that's where I get off unless I need a train to somewhere and I'll get off at George Square if it's the number 20.

Taxis are too expensive. Sometimes I'll catch the train home and walk from East Kilbride station, two miles away.

There's a number 66 bus which I catch sometimes when going home. It goes through Queen's Park, Clarkston and the arse-end of EK before passing within quarter-of-a-mile of my doorstep.

The number 20 is the most convenient as it is stuck in traffic the least and takes about 40 minutes to go from the Whirlies to George Square.

Ideally, I'd like one of those motorcycles like the Hair Bear Bunch had. :)
You have lent the journey a certain romance.I am in East Kilbride about once a month and its a 15 minute walk to Crossmyloof Station for me then the train straight to EK.As you come out of Pollokshaws West towards Thornliebank you often see Heron resting.Its a very relaxing twenty five minutes.
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rabmania » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:12 pm

I cycle, behaving properly, stopping at the red lights. Journey made hard by the holes in the road and the ipod pedestrians (podestrians?) who delight in walking in front of me and the big trucks oblivious to the danger. The joy is in the changing seasons(flowers, trees coming into leaf), other people's courtesies, the eye contact with weans who wave cheekily at me, and the rock hard bum.
rabmania
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby floweredpig » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:44 pm

Every Monday i have to get the 6.30am Train to London Euston and then have 40 minute walk along Marylebone Road arriving at Paddington Basin for about Midday.I stay overnight in a company flat in Baker Street get the first train back to Glasgow in the morning.By tuesday night i am so tired i usually fall asleep after dinner.The scenery is great though.
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Icecube » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:39 pm

So what about the other 3 days? ::):
Icecube
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby floweredpig » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:55 pm

15 minute walk to Crossmyloof Station and 7 minutes to town.Then a 5 minute walk.Easy.Except three times a month when i could be anywhere.
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Springburn Boy » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:40 am

I'm on early retirement at the moment and returning to college in a fortnight, but! We have a wee boy that has started school in the west end so we find ourselves either getting the train to Partick then the bus along to school or it's the 75 in to Cowcaddens and then underground.
We see allsorts on the 75, workers, people suffering from the night before and loudly and explicitly telling their pals. Junkies usually come on at Saracen Street with the "Mone up ra sterr Princess!" Princess has the pony tail tied high and to the side, a tropical colour of heroin yellow and a mooth like a St Mirren scarf. "In the eye of the beholder" always flashes through ones head. Getting to the Underground always takes me back to being a wee boy with my Dad ( who passed away in 1977 aged 39) taking me to the Football. That Underground smell. I hope that never goes away if and when they "improve and re-develope"
the train is mainly me, my Wife and our wee boy in a carriage alone until we get to Anniesland station (If you think you see us come and say hello :)) A different type of person on the trains and the few stations we stop at the scenery is one of the gorgeous side of Glasgow.
Partick is changing for the worse. So many shops are closing down.
Thats our day. Apart from grabbing a nice and peaceful breakfast in Byres Rd, aaah ye cannae beat it!
:D
Where ye gaun wi' that Jobbie?
Springburn Boy
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby peter » Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:36 pm

I am lucky in that fact that I walk to my work. On foot you can just chill on way, to or from. I cross the Gt Western Rd and in morning it is just a nut house. Heavy traffic all rushing into the city. I see the changes in the seasons. The weather is never that bad. No I'm happy to walk .
"I've seen them come and I've seen them go. And I've seen them Die"
peter
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby allyharp » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:59 pm

My usual work is about 15 minutes walk on foot.

My current, temporary, job is a 17 minute walk to the train station; 20ish minutes on the train to High St; then 5-10 minutes to the office.
allyharp
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby myfriendstan » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:55 pm

I live in Glasgow (Dennistoun) but work in Kirkintilloch. A taxi driver picks me up and takes me to work. I travel by bus in the evening via Bishopbriggs and Springburn. There's not much to look at it.
myfriendstan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)