Swedgers

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Swedgers

Postby floweredpig » Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:05 pm

purplepantman wrote:Shop window in Falkirk (aye okay, I know!).

A few classics to get your teeth into. Many more inside too.

Sports Mixture and Midget Gems are now made by Maynards not Lions who have removed all the Liquorice ones and replaced them with Blackcurrant.as much as i disliked the Liquorice it seems wrong somehow.Some newsagents used to sell the Liquorice ones on there own as when they were sold loose then people used to say "no black ones".my uncle has a Newsagent/Confectioner back in Carnoustie and he stopped doing Quarters and loose sweets about 15 years ago as legislation required him to fit an extra handwashing sink behind the counter and electronic scales if he wanted to sell papers and loose sweets hence the reason less shops do them now.He had to stop doing ice cream too.
floweredpig
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Some Guy » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:53 pm

Josef wrote:Puff Candy is exceptionally easy, as well as being thoroughly entertaining, to make, btw.

Get a large (no matter what it looks like in the early stages, you'll need one) saucepan, add two spoonfuls of Golden Syrup and three of sugar, heat till it goes light brown, and then add a teaspoon of Bicarbonate of Soda. Stir and watch the fun.

I'd hold off on the 1/5 ratio of bicarb, unless of course you appreciate chronic flatulence. Use slightly less bicarb and instead add one drip (and I mean one drip) of white vinegar :)

Thanks to mori for referencing aldomak in the thread :) We have a new site made: www.aldomak.co.uk
Some Guy
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Mori » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:48 pm

Watched this one earlier tonight. :D

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby oldphilosophy » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:44 pm

Thanks for the memories guys :) Space Dust, Golfballs and many more.

What about strawberry lips? I liked strawberry bon bons and cinamin balls. Zoom ice lollies were good and jubilees were just the business.

I have a very early memory of a sweet that had a surprise in it. I thought it might have been a lucky potatoe but when I bought one from the barras it didnt taste anything like I remember so I'm still on the hunt :) I'm sure it was beige/brown with a powdered coating. Does anyone know? It tasted brilliant.
oldphilosophy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Avenger » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:24 pm

Bazooka bubble gum, with little piece of paper showing a cartoon and an offer of things you could collect the wrappers and send away for, think the price was in dollars. I used to wonder if anyone sent away for anything.
Avenger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RDR » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:20 pm

oldphilosophy wrote:Thanks for the memories guys :) Space Dust, Golfballs and many more.

What about strawberry lips? I liked strawberry bon bons and cinamin balls. Zoom ice lollies were good and jubilees were just the business.

I have a very early memory of a sweet that had a surprise in it. I thought it might have been a lucky potatoe but when I bought one from the barras it didnt taste anything like I remember so I'm still on the hunt :) I'm sure it was beige/brown with a powdered coating. Does anyone know? It tasted brilliant.

Chelsea whoppers?
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby oldphilosophy » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:49 pm

RDR wrote:
oldphilosophy wrote:Thanks for the memories guys :) Space Dust, Golfballs and many more.

Chelsea whoppers?

I thought Chelsea whoppers were those brown strips with powder on them, I loved them :) Am I getting mixed up? The sweet I'm talking about had a surprise inside?
oldphilosophy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby RDR » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:34 pm

oldphilosophy wrote:
RDR wrote:

Chelsea whoppers?

I thought Chelsea whoppers were those brown strips with powder on them, I loved them :) Am I getting mixed up? The sweet I'm talking about had a surprise inside?

Yes, Chelsea Whoppers were brown strips with a powder coating. Shop near me still sellls them and my wife loves them.
Lucky Tatties were also brown, but hot once you ate them!
The sweet you are talking about sounds like a bon bon.
He advocated for the weak against the strong, the poor against the rich and labour against capital.
RDR
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby oldphilosophy » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:33 pm

No not a bon bon either. Does that shop that sells whoppers sell luckie tatties? Maybe I got a bad one at the barras?
oldphilosophy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby tobester » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:51 pm

I think i saw lucky tatties in the old fashioned sweet shop in rothesay a few weeks ago.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yoker brian » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:55 pm

there is a sweetie shop on Merkland Street near Partick station - it's just up from the cobblers before you reach Dumbarton Road - they have lucky tatties and anything else you can think of - or Glickmans at the Barra's on London Road
Milk Sucks, Got Beer?
yoker brian
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby oldphilosophy » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:38 pm

Partick here I come!!!!! I'll let you guys know how I get on and thanks :D
oldphilosophy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby kirstymaclaren » Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:17 pm

A few things:

1) The sweet shop on Merkland St in Partick is AMAZING!!!!! Well worth a visit if you haven't already.

2) You can buy "cremola foam" (in a wee plastic tub) from a newsagents in the Merchant City. It's a fake obviously but is pretty similar to the original

3) Crisps - does anyone remember potato puffs by burtons? I was gutted when i stopped being able to get them!
kirstymaclaren
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:37 pm

Bought a tin of smith kendon mixed fruits and now want to try the rest as well. :D

Image Image

Think am gona take a trip to Glickmans soon. :wink:

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby deborahlove » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:46 pm

My two bob pocket money was well spent on Parma Violets, Daintees, Texans and Jubilees.
And when you couldn't afford a quarter you could always rely on 2 ounces!
Our local sweetie shop was Conetti's on London Road.
And they never needed plastic gloves to serve you!!
Remember the excitement when the Fizz Bomb van went by? How many flavours were there anyway? I used to get a mate to suck the fizziness off for me first!! 8O
Last edited by deborahlove on Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
God bless us and save us said auld Mrs Davis, i never knew herring was fish.
deborahlove
First Stripe
First Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)