The Glasgow Taliban

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: The Glasgow Taliban

Postby BrigitDoon » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:46 am

Lone Groover wrote:So...oooo Are we getting any Britney pics or not

Behave or I'll post some Brigit photos... ;)
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scottland » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:25 am

scottland wrote:
Sharon wrote:Unless you interviewed Mr Sharif yourself, please quote your sources!!

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scott ... -21480082/

I dont like you , bye bye.

I wish to retract that statement.

"bamfest" :D
Aye,well.
scottland
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:15 pm

Racial intolerance gets worse the further you get from Glasgow (I used to gig with a black singer), and at least in Ayrshire and Lanarkshire, religious intolerance is worse from my experience.

"Bamfest" Love it.
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Efrafan_Days » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:30 am

Hullo,

I have a passing interest in this, and am trying to find out what, if anything, has developed over since the initial report.

One point, I would describe those who allegedly accosted Sharif (and have identified themselves elsewhere on the INternet) as sectarian rather than "Glasgow Taliban". That honorific should go to Dawalat Khan Nasir (someone else for whom I would appreciate an update).
Efrafan_Days
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby onyirtodd » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:10 am

For your blog?
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Efrafan_Days » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:32 am

So it was you who did a Google for Dawalat Khan Nasir!

Yes, and also my general interest. My connexion to Glasgow, by the way, is that I was born at Redlands Hospital.
Efrafan_Days
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Rucola » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:54 pm

Here's an alternative account, possibly slightly more revealing about the actual dynamic involved: http://scottishislamic.wordpress.com/2009/07/09/threats-against-the-pakistani-cafe-an-alternative-account/
Rucola
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:06 pm

The comments are interesting, too. I think I might have a look around this site.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby invy » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:46 pm

Passed by on the bus a few hours ago and the shutter was down and both windows were boarded up with plywood, quick google news search didn't flag anything up but was surprised as for the past few weeks it's always looked reasonably busy...
That'll be Fife I can see from the window :)
invy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby draugelis » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:13 pm

I also noticed this morning that there were comments written on the plywood boardings suggesting that the Muslim thugs should, er, go away..... Merely an observation :|
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - Tom Waits
draugelis
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby lus22 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:04 pm

My eye just caught the title "Glasgow Taliban" and wasn't sure whether to read/repy or read/run. Still not sure.
However, I think racism is a horrible horrible thing and no one should have to put up with whether Scottish/English, down to your religion or even the colour of your skin. I'm of Asian origin, but born and bred in Scotland all my life...I've never been subjected to racial abuse and personally myself used think people liked pulling the race card for the wrong reasons-and told myself it didn't exist. However, naive as I may seem, I was subjected to assault and racial abuse several weeks ago-the first time ever and I'm in my mid 20s...let's just say I didn't expect as I live in a v. small village in the South East side of Scotland...had I been in living in one of (our bigger cities Glasgow(moving here)/Edinburgh) then I would expect it and would possibly have dealt with it and let it go-but in a little village where everyone knows you and knows your business it's horrendous.I hope no one has to suffer abuse/assault in anyway -cos it's had a knock on affect on different parts of my life....it's not put me off job hunting in Glasgow I still am but being assaulted has caused my a trapped nerve in my neck/right arm shoulder area (which 6 weeks later, and with many med and intense physio) and it's hard enough applying for jobs as a recent graduate never mind now trying to get to interview etc that I've had to put some parts of my life on hold.
Actually don't think I have any issue with folk judging me by the color of my skin cos when some backward folk hear my voice they're like "oh -you're scottish"....i guess I think am hard enough inside to deal with nonsense like that cos you have to be thick-skinned in this world anyway but more have an issue with people who are two-faced about things like colour of skin-like those who pretend to be 'your friend' for many years but when the above situation arises they follow the herd like sheep.
Essentially I don't think Scotland's population is racist in anyway towards 'pakistanis' or any other cultures, and even after being attacked it's the small minority who have these opinions. Nevertheless, when the guy accused of assaulting me is up in court I'll make sure that people know what he is really like .... i know him and couldn't even drop charges if i wanted to due to the way the Scottish law works and because the police witnessed him shouting racial abuse at me.
I'm not trying to cause controversy here and don't want people to tear apart my post cos its not the intention....in my own naive way I wish we could all just live peacefully but hell like that will ever happen...cos then the world would be one helluva a boring place.
lus22
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Lone Groover » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:46 am

Very interesting post Lus.

I don't think you will find yourself accused of being naive.

Welcome to the forum and keep posting.
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:45 am

I second LG's warm wishes .. and fully concur with everything your succinct posting said .. (apart from the naïve part - you're obviously far from that).

Welcome to our wee, warm place and I, for one, look forward to hearing more from you. :D
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lus22 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:08 pm

Lone Groover wrote:Very interesting post Lus.

I don't think you will find yourself accused of being naive.

Welcome to the forum and keep posting.

I just wanted people to know that is never really a case of seeing something as 'black or white....life or any life situation isn't just black or white-there is a lot of colour in between. Nevertheless I don't think the above case with The Pakistani Cafe reported is anything to do with colour but more to do with religion? And more about certain 'Muslims' in the area not happy about the mixed signals he is sending...all about associations?

Thanks you both 'doorstep' and 'lone groover' for your comments...I've lived in Scotland my whole life and never had any problems and suffice to say after the court case is over with in my own situation it won't change my opinions about our country as a whole. It's always just the minority that make the issue and I don't mean miniority as in 'ethnic minority' but just in our Scottish population as a whole. I couldn't myself be accused of 'pulling the race card' in my situation as many people were present and the police also but it does piss me off that people do do it.

PS. I think my way of thinking is a bit too simplistic sometimes.....even my family and friends ask me how the hell I managed to get a degree!! I only wish life was more simpler to be honest.
lus22
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby HollowHorn » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:22 pm

It's true though, evil has no colour.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)