Coliseum Cinema Fire

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Coliseum Cinema Fire

Postby crazygray23 » Fri May 29, 2009 6:57 pm

apparently theres been blackouts in the area today and its been linked to dodgy wiring in that building, dunno if the demolition crews have anything to do with it
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Raddled_Old_Queen » Fri May 29, 2009 9:24 pm

crazygray23 wrote:apparently theres been blackouts in the area today and its been linked to dodgy wiring in that building, dunno if the demolition crews have anything to do with it

More likely one of the local residents screwing the meter has caused the blackouts.

::):
Raddled_Old_Queen
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby nuttytigger » Fri May 29, 2009 10:37 pm

i used to go past it everyday going to work and always thought it was a lovely building going to waste. not been past there since february, its a shame to see it gone
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Fri May 29, 2009 11:29 pm

Aye.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby delirium » Sun May 31, 2009 11:18 am

I must admit my first thought was the M74 extension. Although it's off the route of the actual road could there be any plans for another road around there to feed the traffic onto it? That's a very congested area between there and the Gorbals, could they be planning a new road to cut out Cumberland St which gets very jammed?! Cathcart Road is being altered, so could the plan be to continue up and cut through the now conveniently empty cinema site?

Sad to see it go. It was a lovely building and I always thought it a shame that the Academy breathed new life into the other cinema whilst it was left to rot next door.
delirium
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby mr moto » Sun May 31, 2009 2:08 pm

It is amazing just how quickly this has happened, almost like it was planned :roll: From a complete free standing building to a pile of rubble in less than a week .What an efficient operation :evil:
mr moto
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Sun May 31, 2009 3:42 pm

mr moto wrote:It is amazing just how quickly this has happened, almost like it was planned :roll: From a complete free standing building to a pile of rubble in less than a week .What an efficient operation :evil:

The reason for the speed of the demolition is to get the road open again as quickly as possible. I think having the demolition squad on stand-by before the fire would have left some kind of paper trail, no? :roll:
dazza
-
-

Postby scaryman2u » Sun May 31, 2009 6:57 pm

dazzababes wrote: I think having the demolition squad on stand-by before the fire would have left some kind of paper trail, no? :roll:

To my knowledge there are 5 demolition companies rotated on a month to month basis on emergency stand-by 24/7 all year round.
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Sun May 31, 2009 10:29 pm

scaryman2u wrote:To my knowledge there are 5 demolition companies rotated on a month to month basis on emergency stand-by 24/7 all year round.

What I meant was, none of them would have been forewarned that they would be demolishing the Coliseum before the fire.
dazza
-
-

Postby scaryman2u » Sun May 31, 2009 10:43 pm

dazzababes wrote:
scaryman2u wrote:To my knowledge there are 5 demolition companies rotated on a month to month basis on emergency stand-by 24/7 all year round.

What I meant was, none of them would have been forewarned that they would be demolishing the Coliseum before the fire.

Yes I wasn`t sure if you meant it that way Dazza, just letting people know how it works :)
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:27 pm

nodrog wrote:Had a look today; was taking some photos when approached by police wanting to know what i was up to.

I've been wondering about this. I understand arsonists often linger in the area afterwards to admire their handiwork.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Excalibur » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:47 pm

BrigitDoon wrote:
nodrog wrote:Had a look today; was taking some photos when approached by police wanting to know what i was up to.

I've been wondering about this. I understand arsonists often linger in the area afterwards to admire their handiwork.

You give criminals way too much credit in terms of intelligence. Stranger things have happened.
Excalibur
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:39 pm

BrigitDoon wrote:

Only if they work in Fire and Rescue.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scottland » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:50 pm

Did ye hear aboot the man wae nae legs thit gote done fur Arson.
Aye,well.
scottland
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:53 pm

"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)