Coliseum Cinema Fire

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Coliseum Cinema Fire

Postby Shardonnay » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:45 pm

Shardonnay wrote:My friend nearly threw the sat nav oot the car trying to work out which direction to take. Kept redirecting us back there ::): I have no sense of direction so found it hilarious.
Shardonnay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:14 pm

Coliseum as cinerama. :D

britishpathe.com

GV. Coliseum Cinerama, Glasgow. GV. Interior of cinema showing seating. SV. Mural on the wall of one of the bars. Pan to the bar. SV. The bar. SV. Women in the powder room seated in front of mirrors, & SCU. GV. The seats in the cinema. GV. In the projection box with the chief operator rolling a reel of film towards the projector. SV. The reel being put onto the automatic hoist which lifts the reel of film. SV. The reel being hoisted. SCU. The operator. SV. The reel being put on the projector. GV. Curtains opening revealing the curved cinerama screen. GV. The screen. GV. The people arriving - two shots. SV. Mr Goodlatte and Mr Cartlidge arriving. SV. Keith and Douglas Dale holding bouquets which they are to present to the wife of the Lord Provost. SV. The Lord Provost and his wife being greeted by Mr Goodlatte. SV. Chandelier. SV. Keith and Douglas presenting the bouquet.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MalcolmB » Thu May 12, 2011 10:10 pm

Sorry for digging up an old thread. I was shocked when I passed the cinema on the train somethime last year and realised it was missing. Now I know what happened to it.

Does anyone have any photos of the inside? Either in it's heyday, when it was a bingo hall or when it was vacant?
Seems like not all that long ago it was still being used as a bingo hall, that cladding made a mockery of a beautiful building. I'd rather that Adademy place bought the Coliseum and fixed it up rather than the cinema they chose.

Another senseless waste. Neds should be burnt at the stake as punishment.
MalcolmB
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby gap74 » Thu May 12, 2011 10:22 pm

gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MalcolmB » Fri May 13, 2011 1:44 pm

Wow thanks. I hope that link wasn't posted already. :oops: Sorry if it was.
Going to the flicks must've been such an event in the old days. The cinema you are watching the movie in is just as great as the movie itself. While I enjoyed going to the UGC when it opened, always hoping it would be a screen on the top floor, the inside of the cinemas themselves is always bland. One thing I loved when I was younger was the curtains. When they began to open it was so exciting! The Cineworld is so boring, then the movie always lets you down. I suppose the idea is to provide little distraction from the movies themselves these days but you get that more from those stupid large crumply sweety bags and the titheads flashing their mobile screens in your eyes.
MalcolmB
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Josef » Fri May 13, 2011 4:45 pm

There're still curtains at the GFT.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MalcolmB » Sat May 14, 2011 7:54 pm

That's right. Haven't been there in ages. I like those curtains with the little stars on them. Wonder where I could get ones like that. Hope that never shuts down, the last original cinema left I think.
MalcolmB
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)