Coliseum Cinema Fire

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Coliseum Cinema Fire

Postby Rucola » Wed May 27, 2009 5:45 pm

Are ex squaddies known for a predeliction for arson, or am I missing some sort of joke?
Rucola
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Digitographer » Wed May 27, 2009 5:57 pm

Gap, thanks for posting the link to some of the history of the place - I just read through it and it was very interesting.
Will
www.askyofhoney.com
Digitographer
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby nodrog » Wed May 27, 2009 8:00 pm

Had a look today; was taking some photos when approached by police wanting to know what i was up to.
They reckon total demolition is basically a certainty; likely to start tomorrow (Thursday).
No ideas on how the fire started yet, as the fire brigade haven't been able to get inside due to the perilous state of the building.

Which is a damn pity, as the original facade, hidden behind the nasty metal cladding, is rather nice, and the tower had good painted glass windows...
http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/details/903132/
http://theglasgowstory.com/image.php?inum=TGSA00247

If anyone is passing and sees demolition starting, could they please post and let us know? It'd be good to get a good photographic record of the works at least... :(

Nodrog
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu May 28, 2009 2:02 pm

ET

Fire-hit street shut for weeks

A BUSY road closed to traffic when fire ripped through a historic Glasgow theatre is likely to be shut for weeks.
On Monday an inferno destroyed the Coliseum in Eglinton Street, causing the roof to collapse and wrecking the building's interior.
The blaze in the Gorbals landmark forced the closure of Eglinton Street, one of the busiest routes into the South Side.
The road is still closed between Cook Street and Norfolk Street - and Glasgow City Council says it is likely to remain shut for several weeks.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby steelydel » Thu May 28, 2009 3:39 pm

Did Jimmy 'Sausages are the boys!' Logan no put all his money into reviving this place....and lost the lot?
This wans fae yer auld da.....
steelydel
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby onyirtodd » Thu May 28, 2009 4:41 pm

steelydel wrote:Did Jimmy 'Sausages are the boys!' Logan no put all his money into reviving this place....and lost the lot?

Wasn't it "sausages is the boys" and wasn't it the Metropole?
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Thu May 28, 2009 5:23 pm

onyirtodd wrote:
steelydel wrote:Did Jimmy 'Sausages are the boys!' Logan no put all his money into reviving this place....and lost the lot?

Wasn't it "sausages is the boys" and wasn't it the Metropole?

Yep, that'd be the Metropole...
http://www.scottishcinemas.org.uk/glasg ... opole.html

Demolition works seem to have started as of this afternoon, at the stage end of the building...

Nodrog
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Thu May 28, 2009 6:07 pm

As is well known I avoid the Sou' Side like a dose of swine flu so I'm a bit in the dark about this location. Was the Coliseum in the way of the M74 extension?
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Thu May 28, 2009 6:12 pm

A tragic accident, no doubt. Um. Though it's maybe a sign of increasing confidence in property development?

I wonder what would happen if the stats of things going on fire were plotted alongside the state of the economy - more 'accidental and tragic losses' in boom times for developers? (Just thinking aloud.)
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby onyirtodd » Thu May 28, 2009 6:14 pm

Lucky Poet wrote:A tragic accident, no doubt. Um. Though it's maybe a sign of increasing confidence in property development?

I wonder what would happen if the stats of things going on fire were plotted alongside the state of the economy - more 'accidental and tragic losses' in boom times for developers? (Just thinking aloud.)

I wonder when we'll see the first 'accidental' fire in a newly built but unsaleable residential block.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lucky Poet » Thu May 28, 2009 6:19 pm

onyirtodd wrote:I wonder when we'll see the first 'accidental' fire in a newly built but unsaleable residential block.

A fine example of a rhetorical question, is that.
All the world seems in tune on a Spring afternoon, when we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Lucky Poet
-
-

Postby nodrog » Thu May 28, 2009 6:29 pm

onyirtodd wrote:As is well known I avoid the Sou' Side like a dose of swine flu so I'm a bit in the dark about this location. Was the Coliseum in the way of the M74 extension?

Actually, kind of! It closed as a cinema and was compulsorily purchased by the council as it lay right in the path of the (original plans for the) M74.
When that never happened it was sold on to County, who re-opened it for bingo.
The new route of the M74 doesn't hit it though.

nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Vinegar Tom » Thu May 28, 2009 10:38 pm

I went down to have a nosey this afternoon and nothing seemed to be happening ( despite there being a demolition contractor on site ) - Nodrog's picture proved me very wrong :oops:

I took the pictures below on the 24th April this year - the trees growing out of the building are a great clue for identifying old stuff that is at risk :wink:

Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Fri May 29, 2009 3:00 pm

Lunchtime today:

The boxy bits at the side, with the blocked up windows, were indoor waiting areas for patrons waiting to get in to get a seat. It was considered something of a luxury not to have to wait outside in the Glasgow rain! There were separate waiting areas in different parts of the building for the differing areas of the auditorium.

nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fossil » Fri May 29, 2009 5:33 pm

Its Fucked :(
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-