Coliseum Cinema Fire

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Coliseum Cinema Fire

Postby Mori » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:37 pm

ET

Final curtain as cinema to be demolished after blaze

A HISTORIC Glasgow theatre and cinema has been so badly damaged by fire it will have to be demolished.
The blaze ripped through the Coliseum in Eglinton Street last week, causing the roof to collapse and wrecking the interior of the listed building.
Council bosses have been in touch with the Coliseum's owner, who has been told by building experts it is no longer safe and must be flattened.
But the site of the inferno is still being treated as a crime scene and will not be handed back until the investigation is complete.
Owners of listed buildings have to get permission from Historic Scotland before they can demolish them.
However, local authorities have the power to give the go-ahead to flatten a listed building if it is unsafe.
The chip shop and newsagent that made up part of the Coliseum building were forced to close as a result of the fire. They are still closed and will be flattened along with the rest of the building .
Eglinton Street, one of the busiest routes to the South Side, has been closed since the early morning fire on May 25.
A city council spokesman said the need to demolish the building meant the road was likely to remain closed for at least another three weeks.
The Coliseum opened in 1905 as a music hall with seating for almost 3000 people, but began showing films full-time in 1925. It was the venue for the city's first screening of a talking picture, in January 1929.
It closed as a cinema in 1980, and lay empty for years. In 1986 it was listed Category B by Historic Scotland.
The building reopened as a bingo hall in 1987 but closed in 2003 and has been derelict since. It changed ownership in early 2006, and in September 2006, the council had to draw up an Urgent Repairs notice to ensure it remained wind and watertight.

Publication date 04/06/09
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby gap74 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:43 pm

Utter hogwash, I was having a poke around yesterday and there's no sign of any reason why the sandstone tower and possibly the rest of the frontage under the cladding can't be propped up and saved for future redevelopment.

As usual, the lazy, cheap option wins out over the heritage....

Elgin St Congregational all over again. Grr!
gap74
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Bingo Bango » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:53 pm

Absolutely agree - the shape of the tower section alone should give it some inherent strength before whatever is at the back of it is taken into account.

I too, admittedly without having been inside, see no reason other than 'cannae be arsed' for the tower at least to be kept.

Quite sad, and it only adds to the feeling of utter wasteland devestation when travelling from the southside to glasgow each day.
Bingo Bango
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Mori » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:44 pm

Y'know this could all be recreated if they really wanted to... its all money at the end of the day, A listsed buildings should realy be given top priorty wether it takes a year or more to get the funding and orginisations in place.

I love this building, seen some the best movies in here, i really,really, really hope they save the facade and rook at least but alas i dont think they will. :(

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crazygray23 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:29 am

there seems to be more empty space in the local area than there is buildings now , gonna be weird getting off at bridge street underground and not seeing it there
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:48 am

I've been 'round that way this week and I notice there's a large excavator nibbling away at the rear of the premises.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nodrog » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:39 am

Owners of listed buildings have to get permission from Historic Scotland before they can demolish them.
However, local authorities have the power to give the go-ahead to flatten a listed building if it is unsafe.

I think the above is the problem - for some reason, there doesn't seem to be any requirement to just do the *minimum demolition necessary* to make the site safe.
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:30 pm

HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:44 pm

Thanks HH at least the tower/rook is still there, i was trying to get in around there earlier to take a pic but all roads are closed up to it by car.
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:54 pm

Why is it called a 'Rook' Mori?
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Sun Jun 07, 2009 2:56 am

HollowHorn wrote:Why is it called a 'Rook' Mori?

I've always imagined it as a short castle Rook. :D

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:19 am

Mori wrote:Thanks HH at least the tower/rook is still there, i was trying to get in around there earlier to take a pic but all roads are closed up to it by car.

It's frustrating; they have all that fencing around it and I had to walk 'round the other side of the railway line to get from one side to the other. There's a reasonable view of the back from the Norfolk Court angle.

I took some photos the other evening and I'll put them up later when I have time to go through them.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby eob » Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:01 am

Passed it yesterday on the train.
Most of the south wall has been demolished. All that is left of the brickwork sign is the 'C'.
Won't be long until its all gone!
eob
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby TeeHeeHee » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:07 am

Early '64, I went there to see how The West Was Won. Great watching arrows coming from the left side and shooting right across the screen to catch yer paleface on the other side of the cinema. Took a lass that night. came out and got chased by 4 neds so ran like shit with her in tow to Crown street and hailed a taxi, leaping in as it drew to a halt with me screaming "Castlemilk" to an empty driver's seat.
He'd leaped out at the same moment, brandishing a bottle ( Iron Bru ? Who knows) shouting " Aye, come on ya basturts, yer no dealing wi' boays and lassies noo."
I was already out of the taxi too by the time I realised what the driver was doing but I could have stayed put. The driver had quelled that wee situation on his own; thank fuck.
That is pure shite with the Coliseum. If that wasn't long planned then it was shortly planned. It'll get blamed either on faulty wiring or vandalism.
But the main thing is that it's down. Now "they" can get on with their intentions without having to go through the usual hassle. As with many other gutted buildings which suddenly went up in flames.
Gimme a shout when ma dinner's ready
TeeHeeHee
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby cumbo » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:59 pm

The rotating sign still hanging in there.
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)