Cathkin Park

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby TC1 » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:31 pm

I see the Bankies drew 1-1 at Tayport. Great result and they must be favourites for the replay. 'Mon the Bankies!'
TC1
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby ghiribizzo » Sun Mar 12, 2006 12:41 pm

Indeed. - But I've gotta support the locals! Lucky it wasn't today. We're under about 10" of white stuff now and still falling.
ghiribizzo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:06 pm

Aye it was a tremendous result but Tayport have a habit of getting through on replays. I mind a couple of seasons ago Forth should've done it but gave them a second chance.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby yourebarred » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:35 pm

if i'm not mistaken, this is on the path of a certain new motorway?
yourebarred
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Internet bid to revive old club

Postby scallopboy » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:08 am

Blatantly copied from: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/gla ... 383227.stm

The name of a famous Glasgow football team is being auctioned on eBay - 40 years after the club went bust. Third Lanark were formed in 1872 and grew to be one of Scotland's great clubs before famously declaring bankruptcy in 1967. Ed Sweeney, 67, from Dundee, bought and registered the name two years ago at Companies House. He is now selling it on eBay in a bid to revive the club. He started the bidding at £2,000.

Third Lanark was a Glasgow institution with a wonderful and colourful history and I would love to see them resurrected. Mr Sweeney, a retired media lecturer, said: "I bought the name two years ago in the hope that I could use the name to start an amateur team. "I was a Thirds fan as a child and would go along to watch the team play at their Cathkin Park ground with my grandfather Alex Lorimer in the 1960s.

"I have a huge empathy with the club, but I live in Dundee and have no real experience of starting up or running a football club." Third Lanark, which was started as a football team for the Third Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers, were among the founders of the Scottish Football League.
Famous former players included Ally McLeod, who went on to manage Scotland at the World Cup in Argentina in 1978. Third Lanark won the old First Division in 1904 and also won the Scottish Cup in 1889 and 1905. They last reached the Scottish Cup final at Hampden in 1936 but lost to Rangers.

However, the team played its final game on 28 April 1967 when they lost 5-1 away to Dumbarton. In a radio interview last year, comedian Billy Connolly said he would like to buy a club like his childhood favourites Partick Thistle or even revive Third Lanark with actor Sean Connery. Mr Sweeney said: "Third Lanark was a Glasgow institution with a wonderful and colourful history and I would love to see them resurrected. "They have been out of business for exactly 40 years now, but they still have lots of supporters." Prospective buyers of the club's name have until 2 March to bid for it on eBay.
scallopboy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:37 am

Took this a few days ago.

James H
He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:23 am

The HI HI
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby cumbo » Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:29 am

Found this during a recent wander through Cathkin Park
This place still sends a shiver up my spine every time I visit
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:46 pm

He's over there...
james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:36 pm

A great but unfortunately very short bit of footage of Cathkin at 2 min 30 sec. Great stuff.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dugald » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:27 am

james73 wrote:5 minute film on Cathkin Park
mms://video.channel4.com/culture/fourdocs/32025/32025_720.wmv
James H

James, i thoroughly enjoyed this very nostalgic wee chat about Cathkin; yes, and with such appropriate musical acompaniement. I found it enjoyably sad. My only complaint is that it was too short. I was particularly happy to hear the mention of Jimmy Carabine.
Dugald
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Cathkin Park

Postby The iLL Man » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:11 am

Hi! First post here, so here goes.............

I've done a couple of blog posts on Cathkin Park and thought I'd share them, for what they're worth. If anyone wants to use the photos for any purpose, they are most welcome. All I would ask in return is that they quote the origin of the picture. They can be found herehttp://illmandirtynotes.blogspot.com/2007/02/cathkin-park.html, as well as in three sepearte posts on http://fadedlustre.blogspot.com/ (just scroll down a bit or type in 'Third Lanark' in the search box at the top left corner of the blog)

I've been there three times now. Once in the dead of winter, and twice to see Thirds. The first was the QP Anniversary match (a great game of football played on a bog of a pitch), the 2nd being a league encounter from last year. The current Thirds amateur team website can be found here http://thirdlanarkathletic.intheteam.com/modules/page/Page.aspx?pc=home&mid=23282&pmid=0

All the things people say about the place are true, it is an eerie and very weird place. If anyone has pics of the ground in it's heyday I'd be overjoyed to see them.

Cheers!
Life Is Short, Art Long, Opportunity Fleeting, Experience Treacherous, Judgement Difficult
The iLL Man
Just settling in
Just settling in

Previous

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)