Cathkin Park

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Postby trudger » Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:56 pm

a a a
Last edited by trudger on Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
trudger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:43 pm

That won't go down well, Albion Rovers having to groundshare with "The enemy"....
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:19 pm

Doc Lightning wrote:AFAIK, it's still used for Sunday League football.

When I went there, I entered from the back, as I wasn't sure where it was. So I entered from the back of the terracing. looking down to the pitch. It felt REALLY eerie. Bear in mind this place might have had more than ten thousand people there at one point, and it was empty.

I've got a couple of pics from when it had only just closed down. I'll get them scanned and post them. Interestingly, the barriers on the terracing look different to when they closed. Most Squared, looked wooden rather than the metal ones they are now.

As a completely useless fact, the seats from the stand were sold to Albion Rovers, and are still at Cliftonville stadium. Although, Cliftonville's going to be sold for housing, so they won't be there much longer...
Do not recall the exact capacity of Cathkin Park before Third Lanark went bust, bit it was much than 10,000!
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrlipring » Wed Sep 14, 2005 12:53 am

Finally wandered into this park a few weeks ago when out for a wander, bored as hell.

There was a guy playing football with his toddler. Not quite past glories relived. Judging by the broken glass everywhere, it's a favourite ned haunt come the weekends as well.
mrlipring
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Socceroo » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:10 pm

I have been reliably informed that Cathin Park used to hold around 40,000 spectators during the 1950's!
Socceroo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:44 pm

SOCCEROO wrote:I have been reliably informed that Cathin Park used to hold around 40,000 spectators during the 1950's!

Aye just over 45,000 was Cathkin's record attendance against Rangers in the fifties.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby TC1 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:58 am

I was a ball boy at Cathkin in the early 60s. One game against Rangers involved a crowd of over 43,000. Impatient Rangers fans broke down the gates at the Cathcart Road end and overspilled the terracing. Large numbers sat around the pitch, on the blaes running track, where the boy balls should have been. George Young (ex Rangers and Scotland captain) was Thirds manager at the time. He took the ball boys off for their safety and gave us 10 shillings each for fish suppers etc on the way home. Some man was big Geordie Young. He owned a coffee shop in the city centre at the time. Sadly he was reduced to poverty and serious illness a year or two ago.

Forty years after their demise, I still dream about the Hi Hi and they are not nightmares. When they went bust through criminal mismanagement, myself and many other fans could not support another senior team, though Clyde at the time were only five minutes away, as was Queens Park. Many of us became Pollok Juniors supporters, and still are.

More than a football club died with the Thirds. It was the end of an epoch in economic and cultural terms in the West of Scotland and further afield.
TC1
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:35 am

TC1 wrote:Forty years after their demise, I still dream about the Hi Hi and they are not nightmares. When they went bust through criminal mismanagement, myself and many other fans could not support another senior team, though Clyde at the time were only five minutes away, as was Queens Park. Many of us became Pollok Juniors supporters, and still are.

More than a football club died with the Thirds. It was the end of an epoch in economic and cultural terms in the West of Scotland and further afield.

When you see how Clydebank have kept alive their name with such a small hardcore support you wonder if Thirds would've done the same if it had happened more recently. I think they would have continued in another way, possibly in the junior ranks like the Bankies.

Glasgow shouldn't have let them die.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Paper Hankie » Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:58 pm

What happened to Third Lanark was uppermost in our thoughts when we reformed the Bankies.
The important part was to get back into football as soon as possible, as the momentum would wane if we left it too long.
As TC says there was no chance of me going to watch another team but I did spend my year out from the Bankies learning the ropes at Vale of Leven FC in order that we'd be ready for what the weird world of junior football would throw at us.
TC, I know how it feels to lose your club and I can empathise with your nocturnal visions of the Hi Hi. Many a night I find myself back at Kilbowie in the heady days of the Davie Cooper era.
Paper Hankie
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby TC1 » Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:33 am

PH I wish the Bankies every success. When I moved to Dumbarton from Shawlands, 20 years ago, I started to watch Dumbarton one week and the Bankies the next. Whilst never really a supporter, I am a strong believer in community sport rather than glory hunting. Both Dumbarton and Clydebank gave out tickets to youth football and school teams in a bid to extend community links, but sadly neither could compete with the draw of the Big Two. It saddens me to see supporters buses dedecked with blue or green heading out of Dumbarton and Alexandria every weekend.

Davie Cooper was worth any admission price at Kilbowie. He spent more time talking to the fans during a game than he did running up the wing but he made the ball do the work and his long passing was a joy. Sadly missed.
TC1
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:52 pm

Paper Hankie wrote:TC, I know how it feels to lose your club and I can empathise with your nocturnal visions of the Hi Hi. Many a night I find myself back at Kilbowie in the heady days of the Davie Cooper era.

Every time I'm bitterly cold at the football I think back to a Wednesday night at Kilbowie back in the eighties when a styro of soup from the pie shop in the away end probably saved me from frostbite.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby james73 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 12:46 am

james73
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby TC1 » Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:33 am

Thanks for info James. I wonder if this is the same as the exhibition at the Dixon Halls about 10 years ago. If I remember, most of the stuff was from Bert Bell who went on to write "Still Seeing Red", published by Glasgow City Libraries in 1996. I saw grown men cry when I spent a Saturday afternoon there. No pies or bovril, but plenty of wonderful memories.

RIP Hi Hi and best wishes to the Bankies for their semi against the mighty Tayport.
TC1
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Schiehallion » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:50 am

I'd love to see Clydebank destroying Tayport. All will be revealed by tea time.
Schiehallion
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby ghiribizzo » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:44 am

Aye, we'll see...
ghiribizzo
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)