Not so much Hidden, more They Don't Let RiffRaff In Glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Not so much Hidden, more They Don't Let RiffRaff In Glasgow

Postby DMcNay » Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:53 am

Why do I suspect we have no chance of a visit to this place?

As mentioned in an unrelated topic, Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you...The Western Club. Where all the rich folk go:

http://www.westernclub.co.uk/index2.htm
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby KonstantinL » Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:12 pm

I've been chucked out the Cathouse so I'm not likely to get past the front door of this place!
KonstantinL
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby JayKay » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:19 pm

It's a very low key place - you wouldn't know it was there unless you know about it. AFAIR royalty tend to go for lunch there when they're visiting the plebs in the northern province's wild frontier.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby caine » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:35 pm

that actually looks like my idea of hell!!!

can you imagine the stimulating coversation you could have over a fine sherry and a cigar while the women discuss cross stitch......

somewhere else to add to the list of places to avoid like the plauge.
caine
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby cumbo » Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:24 pm

I always remember a story about the guy (George}who plays the saxaphone in Royal Exchange place(always plays the pink panther) at night.
The doorman from the Western Club came round and gave him £20 and told him to go home as a gentleman staying in the club could not get to sleep. nice one!
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby aliferste » Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:11 pm

cumbo wrote:The doorman from the Western Club came round and gave him £20 and told him to go home as a gentleman staying in the club could not get to sleep. nice one!

Bloody doorman.........I gave the chap a fifty!! :roll:
aliferste
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Fossil » Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:41 pm

If your on jury duty at High Court and you don’t reach a decision that day you stay here over night .I seem to recall...

Anyway here's the front door

-Fossil-
Bum tit tit bum tit tit play yer hairy banjo
Fossil
-
-

Postby Ronnie » Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:39 pm

Phone the general manager, tell him you are interested in joining (it costs no more than a health club, ie around 400 a year) and he'll offer you a look around the place. Not the most difficult place to get in, really.
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby DMcNay » Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:12 am

Ronnie wrote:Phone the general manager, tell him you are interested in joining (it costs no more than a health club, ie around 400 a year) and he'll offer you a look around the place. Not the most difficult place to get in, really.

According to their website, you need to be approved by two existing members.....maybe they've changed it.
Too few hours in the day.
DMcNay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Cyclo2000 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:07 am

I think their website goes on to say that you can propose yourself if you don't know any members. I'll bet they'd interview you before they'd let you join though!

On this subject (kinda), anyone know whats happening to the (RAC?) club in Blythswood Square? It was the other big gentlemans-type club in Glasgow, but I'm sure it went bust a few months ago.

Don't know anyone who's ever been in that one either.
Jeez, I don't exactly move in exalted circles do I?
Alter Aterius Auxilio Veget
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby JayKay » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:25 am

I think the RAC Club's been gone for a while. I actually was in it once, at a wedding reception, but it was probably over 20 years ago and as I was little more than a nipper at the time I dint remember that much about it. It was IIRC quite oppulent, chandeliers and stuff, but I wasnt really paying much attention, focusing more on cake and immediate concerns like that instead.

BTW I heard from a former cop that the most common excuse given to them by gentlemen of a certain social standing lifted for kerb crawling in the Blythswood area was that they were "Just looking for the RAC Club and wasnt sure where it was..." :wink:
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Cyclo2000 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:03 pm

Not so much a Gentlemen's Club but...

Kate Cranston had a "men only" type tearoom on Buchanan Street called at least in part "The Bunker" I seem to recall. I think the Bunker bit was the basement wuich was for uniformed types and their guests.

The building is... well...I can't find any reference to it to tell you exactly but it used to be the Clydesdale bank and I think its next door to the BT offices (now closed). It's lying empty just now , has a kinda arched glass door and is in sorta stripey stone.

I'm sure one of you can be more precise.
I think she marketed it as a kind of temperance club.
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby AMcD » Wed Jun 23, 2004 1:28 pm

This one Cyclo?

Allan
AMcD
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Cyclo2000 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:43 pm

That's the one.

No doubt someone here will be able to verify this stuff. I'm not claiming to be any kind of expert on the Cranston empire. There's another one of her places round in Argyll street I believe. I think it's the building schu is in now, at any rate if you lift your eyes around that block you'll see a building in the style of a Swiss chalet (I'm doing this from memory so forgive me if I'm talking bollocks) at least it has a steeply pitched roof with dormers and smallish many paned windaes. That's it.

On this subject, anyone been in the upstairs room at Sloanes in recent years? It used to be the luch room but i don't think it's usually opened nowadays.
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Cyclo2000 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:45 pm

Oh, and see in the picture there's a seperate door next to the big doors? That was the entrance to the Bunker. Or so I'm told...
Come on guys...somebody verify this I'm out on a limb here!
Cyclo2000
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)