CCTV Nonsense

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

CCTV Nonsense

Postby nodrog » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:06 am

I know this stuff should probably go in the 'Street Furniture' thread, but it's been annoying me enough recently to the point that I want to moan about it.
The proliferation of CCTV cameras around Glasgow is just Getting A Bit Silly Now.

This is particularly bad in railway stations, with Glasgow central being the worst offender - umpteen free-standing pillars with large ugly Siemens-branded cameras have appeared throughout the concourse, their appearance in this historic building not improved by the legions of anti-pigeon spiking.

Couldn't they have got one camera that rotates, rather than 4 or 5 all pointing in different directions? Do they really need more cameras here, when 2 of them are just pointing at the other set of cameras that have appeared on top of the departures telly just a few metres away? Couldn't they at least have hung them from the ceiling, rather than add yet another intrusive post into the concourse and spoil the nice view of the Central Hotel?

Speaking of departures boards, the most insane bit of camera overuse is also in Central:
yes, I do believe that's a row of NINE separate cameras, all in a row above the board, eight tiddly ones flanking one big one in the middle. Why ??!

As for Partick station, where they appear to have a camera mainly pointing directly at another camera...

Seen any other examples of stupid camera placing, or simple camera overload? Post them here!

<Rant over>
"I'd just move on to the 'hot-air ballooning vigilante' stage of my career earlier than planned"

www.scottishcinemas.org.uk
www.twitter.com/scottishcinemas
nodrog
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: CCTV Nonsense

Postby cell » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:46 am

Couldn't agree more, but you'd better watch out and not get nicked by plod for photographing those cameras!
cell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Roxburgh » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:13 pm

There is a need to know what you are doing at all times. :roll:
Roxburgh
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rotten milk » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:18 pm

looks like they'll have multiple angle shots of you photing them too!
Last edited by rotten milk on Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hey, d'ye think it's ootside yir in?
rotten milk
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dave » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:26 pm

Mate, take some time to download the image and reupload it to a site willing to let you link, apparently Firefox have a useful addin

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2810&start=1200

For more details, any danger hotlinking will be made sticky?
A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him.
www.davehouston.co.uk
Dave
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby rotten milk » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:37 pm

ferry nuff, edited the post etc.

he's still a terrorist suspect tho :wink: ::):
hey, d'ye think it's ootside yir in?
rotten milk
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:18 am

Private Eye 1233 3rd April
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Surfer Rosa » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:24 pm

The number of cameras is determined using Home Office guidelines for the deployment of CCTV. The operator (Central Station) will have a set of operational requirements for detection and identification of individuals. You tend to find that sites with a large number of cameras are particularly interested in identifying people. Pan Tilt Zoom (PTZ) cameras are labour intensive, whereas a high number of fixed cameras can cover an entire area, recording away in the background for post event analysis.
Surfer Rosa
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby tobester » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:12 pm

Some of the platform cameras at stations are for the doors of the trains, if they have a yellow band round them thats what they are for. The partick pic to me looks like the door cameras. Set up to cover each coach of a 3car and the rear unit on a 6car, all the stations train cameras are being replace with dalmuir currently being done.
tobester
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby crazygray23 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:55 pm

PTZ cameras are all well and good but unfortunately will be focussed on one area probably 95% of the time of operation. the practice is to usually have PTZ in strategic places where the need to follow someone is needed , then you have static wide angle cameras covering any areas where you can still ID someone and not disrupt the actual purpose of the camera........if that makes sense.........having worked in CCTV its a pain in the arse when a PTZ camera is focused on something else and misses something that you really needed to see
crazygray23
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:41 am

If you leaned up against that pole in Central Station would their picture wobble ?
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Lone Groover » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:20 am

glasgowken wrote:If you leaned up against that pole in Central Station would their picture wobble ?

It would if me & Doorstop had a go together !
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Doorstop » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:13 am

::):
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:54 pm

Oh yes! This I *must* see. :D
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:27 pm

Lone Groover wrote:
glasgowken wrote:If you leaned up against that pole in Central Station would their picture wobble ?

It would if me & Doorstop had a go together !

Can you hang on till I check if I'm insured for earthquake damage, please? I'm only a couple of miles away.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)