The Walrus & The Carpenter

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

The Walrus & The Carpenter

Postby looie-james » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:18 am

Helllo Glasgow - I am a Glasgow girl now living in New Zealand. I recently had a flash back to when I was a wee girl (almost 30 years ago) and I have this vague memory of a toy shop in Glasgow (Sauchiehall St) called The Walrus & The Carpenter. It has since been on my mind almost every day and after doing a wee Google search it brought me to this website. Now that I am all joined up and figuring my way around I thought I would ask if there is anyone that can remember this toy shop? Can you remember where it was on Sauch. St? What did it look like outside/inside? Did it sell high end toys or was it cheap junk? Did it have a smell you remember etc etc. I hope to hear from someone soon :).
Looie James
Glasgow girl now living in New Zealand
www.kookychoo.com
looie-james
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: The Walrus & The Carpenter

Postby Doorstop » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:20 am

High end wooden toys as far as I remember, as well the more educational stuff. It was the only toyshop I remember that had actual puppets for sale, not cheap, crappy ones either .. ones that you would have seen on telly!

Inside reminded me very much of the old Sentry Box toy shop just off Byres Road (I don't know if that's even still there).
I like him ... He says "Okie Dokie!"
Doorstop
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dazza » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:29 am

Courtesy of gap74:

dazza
-
-

Postby looie-james » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:52 am

I can't believe it was such a small shop. I remember it being bigger! Wonder if it was because I was only seven or eight when I was last there. This photo has just shattered my magical childhood memories (just kidding).
Looie James
www.kookychoo.com
looie-james
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby jiggyslassie » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:09 am

I also remember this toy shop, it sold lovely toys, doll's houses, real paddingtons, when they first came out this was the place to get them! I was only given a wee paddington wearing pyjamas with flowers on them! I felt like Emily in Bagpuss when I was taken to that shop, a real sense of something magic in the air! My mum's friends had daughters the same age as me and all their toys came from the walrus and the carpenter, I used to love visiting them! it's an italian restaurant now, it's been closed a long time. A lovely thing to remember.[quote][/quote]
jiggyslassie
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby looie-james » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:26 am

I am so pleased to hear that their are 'others' that loved this shop. It was a little expensive for my parents but at least I got to visit every now and then and sense the magic of this shop. More info is appreciated!
Looie James
www.kookychoo.com
looie-james
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Donald abroad » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:14 am

I met Looie recently in Sydney, Australia and the Walrus and the Carpenter discussion started there and Looie very cleverly has brought it to this discussion forum. We started having the conversation because I have opened a toy shop in Melbourne and named it The Walrus and the Carpenter. I named it after the shop in Sauchiehall Street which I have very fond memories of. I wasn't taken there often, it was or felt high end but when I was I always remember it feeling like a huge treat. Does anyone remember the large stuffed Walrus (soft toy) in the window? I also remember that you got real puppets there with strings, my sister and I had one each and played a lot with them. Thanks for the reminder about the Paddington bears, I'd forgotten that. Anyway I would love to hear more about memories of the Walrus and the Carpenter.
Donald abroad
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby John » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:51 am

I still have a little post box bank someone bought for me from this shop back in 1981.
'It's a sad day for capitalism when a man can't fly a midget on a kite over Central Park'
John
-
-

Postby WeegieBurd » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:19 pm

I had a great-aunt who adored this shop and spent a lot of time there. She regularly brought me wee nick-nacks from it.
There were wee houses that you had to put together yourself; they had wooden gable ends, the sides and roof were cardboard. You had to slot and glue them together; we had a street going at one point!
There was also the poisonous bubbles mentioned in the other thread; red stuff that you put on the end of a wee tube that you blew into - turns out that you inhaled toxic fumes at the same time :? would explain a lot....
I also got a wee block of modelling clay called "Daz.... something", which was a cross between plasticine and proper clay. That gave my Sindy doll a full fruit bowl! ::):
It was a fabulous shop, really magical to me when I went there, I have many happy memories of it.
Is it Friday yet?
WeegieBurd
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Donald abroad » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:53 am

I'm sitting in Melbourne and yet have just walked up and down Sauchiehall street using google map UK and the new street level feature. Using the photograph posted earlier in this discussion, I found the site of The Walrus and the Carpenter in between Biggars music and Greggs the baker, it's 277. I would love to find out who owned the Walrus and the Carpenter, get more photo's and hear about your memories. The now owner of Biggars music remembered it from her childhood, especially the Paddington Bears.
Donald abroad
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby jiggyslassie » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:33 pm

I remember the russian dolls the Walrus and the Carpenter sold, those that stack within each other, I've always coveted those but never got any, it's lovely that Donald abroad has named his toy shop after this magical shop, keeping the memory alive, I really think that if toys ever came to life then this wouldv'e been the place for it to happen! Who did own it? It's memory is up there along with watching Catweazle on Sundays @ my grannys! that event brings back taste, sounds and emotion, it seems the toy shop memories evoke a lot of emotions and longing for times past. Innocence perhaps!
jiggyslassie
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby looie-james » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:17 am

The amazing thing about Donald Abroad (she is a very funny woman) and myself is that we have gone on in life to make toys our lives and trying to make a living from it. Donald now has this amazing toys shop called The Walrus and The Carpenter and I import high end toys from Europe to New Zealand (www.plushtoys.co.nz). Just a huge thank you to all those that have given me a better insight to a wee shop in Glasgow that has played a significant role in my life. My own seven children have some of the coolest toys around!
Looie James
www.kookychoo.com
looie-james
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby bobstar76 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:03 am

i have a rusting old badge kicking around somewhere with the logo from the shop. my memories of the shop are all similar to the rest of comments, but to your right as you entered the shop, there was the big organola? bells + drums that played when you put a shilling in (the 5p's at the time would also work) sounds a bit creepy, but old time fun.

was wondering about it and stumbled across this site...
bobstar76
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Marcia » Sun Apr 18, 2010 1:25 am

I'm from Ayrshire originally and don't remember The Walrus and the The Carpenter. When I was wee we would get to go to the Ugly Duckling toy shop in Ayr, usually twice a year - to spend Christmas and birthday money. I've got a wee boy now, and I try to explain to him that toy shops should be magical, wonderful places - not like that horrible, loathesome, hideous Toys'R'us. Yeuch! That place just makes me angry! :x
Marcia
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Bridie » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:24 am

Marcia wrote:I'm from Ayrshire originally and don't remember The Walrus and the The Carpenter. When I was wee we would get to go to the Ugly Duckling toy shop in Ayr, usually twice a year - to spend Christmas and birthday money. I've got a wee boy now, and I try to explain to him that toy shops should be magical, wonderful places - not like that horrible, loathesome, hideous Toys'R'us. Yeuch! That place just makes me angry! :x

Agree Marcia cheap corporate mass produced sheds built soley to maximise profits. At least Ikea has a bit of imagination when you get inside for the names of the products alone :wink:

I remember the Walrus and the Carpenter vaguely remember walking through the door and the counter was facing you, shelves were packed with unusual toys and trinkets suppose the idea was like going to visit a friends house and going into their bedroom to play with new toys. Great idea/ layout for a toy shop :D
I was in Redlands hospital 34 years ago having my first child and a friend brought up my sons first ever cuddly toy which was the softest bunny rabbit ever he's passed it down to his children and it's still going strong - and soft :D
Yes HH,I know
Bridie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)