Rouken Glen Park.

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Rouken Glen Park.

Postby Reverend Scapegoat » Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:20 pm

Anyone familiar with this place?
Three areas specifically, two of which I remember kinda confusing me when I read about them in a pamphlet when I was a kid.

The two I read about were "The Bamboo Maze" and "The Devil's Staircase".
Does anyone know if the bamboo by the burn ever was an actual maze, or just a thicket?
It's at the bottom of "The Devil's Staircase" which was allegedly so named because of a carving in one of the stones by it's side? Again, I never did find it.

Then there's the tombstone.
This WASN'T mentioned in the booklet, but I've managed to find it - Apparently the man responsible for the park's landscaping is buried ( Although I find it more likely that the stone is simply a memorial ) under a large rock jutting out into the gorge from the top of the park.
There IS a stone there with writing on it... I'll need to nip down sometime and get photos...
Reverend Scapegoat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Sharon » Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:28 pm

I have some rather strange memories of Rouken Glen Park...but won't go into them here.
Beware of yawning dogs.
Sharon
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby glasgowgub » Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:05 pm

go sharon, tell us more :wink:
glasgowgub
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Reverend Scapegoat » Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:34 pm

G'wan! You can't tease us like that :(
Reverend Scapegoat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bex Bissell » Fri Jun 18, 2004 10:57 am

Many happy times spent in the Rouken Glen as a wee laddy.
My Gran lived just down from the park in Woodfarm and would take me and my brother n sister up there to cool our heals.
Rowing boats could be hired and also a pleasure cruiser would take people round the pond.

Image Rouken glen pond 1910.

Such a lovely park with it's tranquil walks and river running through.
The water fall make a tremendous noise due to it's staggered design.
Image Rouken Glen Waterfall. [i]1904

On the riverside walkway I've always noticed the remains of an old building with iron cogs adjoined, and wondered what it was there for, my thinking on this was that the river was two shallow to turn a wheel used for the production of anything so my thoughts were that the "mill" belonged to fairy folk and with them being small n that, couldn't handle a "full sized" mill.
Alas all is revealed.
Image postcard 1904
Imagepostcard 1904

Sorry but I cant add more other than, my recolection of the bamboo maze was of being a thicket.

On an outing there last year I was disapointed to find a family of ner-do-wells having a BBQ down by the river, the lanky peely wallie sons were taking a dook in the river and faethir was spoiling the piece with his constant shouting for "Kimburly" to "leave the dug alone".
I thought I sent that family to it's death up "The Cobbler" 7 years ago, but thats another story, it involves me, a friend, a hungry famely and a supposed Burger van atop the mountain. ::):
Oh, the humanity!
Bex Bissell
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Reverend Scapegoat » Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:25 pm

Wow! I forgot about the old mill!
I spent many an hour along past that - If you walk along the side the mill's on, with the burn on your left, you come to a wooden walkway, and just past that is the location of the best rope swing ever :)
Well, it was... Til half the riverbank collapsed :(

Lovely pics of themill BTW. Ta!
( My Gran lives in woodfarm too BTW :) )
Reverend Scapegoat
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby smartie » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:27 pm

was playing at Rouken Glen golf course recently and spotted a really old dovecot next to the 8th green. does anyone know anything about this, it looks well old, there is also some remains of another building where the bedrock comes out as well. didn't have my camera unfortunately !!
smartie
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby mr moto » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:36 pm

i seem to remember as a kid finding a sort of cave in the park ? anyone know more ?
mr moto
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Smartalex » Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:46 pm

The caves I remember where on the other side of the railway line which runs through the back of the park and the only way I remember getting to them was by jumping the line. there where about three caves the larger ones celing sloped right down to the back but you could crawl through it.
I never did because it was always wet and full of beasties.
Smartalex
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Pripyat » Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:34 pm

Rouken Glen waterfall is still my favourite waterfall for many miles.
Always was a wedding photographers mecca.
"The nose of a mob is its imagination. By this, at any time, it can be quietly led." - Edgar Allan Poe
Pripyat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)