Taggart to go?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: Taggart to go?

Postby mack4 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:36 pm

Guitarman wrote: What other city has a Zombie Polis?
::):
I felt even Mark McManus was tired of it.Before he died it had deteriorated so badly,the only thing I kept watching it for, was a wee glimpse of places I had known.Sad bastard that I am. :cry:
mack
mack4
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Mori » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:44 pm

ET

There's been a rumour we're being axed

TELEVISION'S longest running detective show, Taggart, may be about to fold after 25 years.
Key staff have been sacked and ITV has not decided whether to commission another series from the makers, stv.
Taggart provides work for around 100 people. Both ITV and stv said they would like it to continue, but warned the economic climate made a new series difficult to commit to.
Stv has axed the show's producer, Graeme Gordon, as well as Eric Coulter, the company's head of drama
Members of the cast had previously said they were willing to take a pay cut in an attempt to save the series, which is set in Glasgow and stars Alex Norton, Blythe Duff, John Michie and Colin McCredie.
Athough several episodes are already in the can and are awaiting broadcast, production has stalled.
Alan Clements, the new head of content, including drama, at stv, said it is keen to continue showing Taggart, but warned television drama faced difficult times.
"It is no secret that drama on the commercial channels, ITV in particular, is in difficulty, because of the cost compared to the return per viewer. That's not unique to Taggart. ITV is going to be doing a lot less drama going forward."

Publication date 27/07/09
Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Josef » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:15 pm

And from today's Guardian, STV turns to tartan talent.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hungryjoe » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:01 pm

Drop Taggart and make a series of Laidlaw?
Multi dinero, multi ficky fick, multi divorce.
hungryjoe
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:18 pm

STV's programming policy is odd to say the least. It seem they think all Scots want to watch is things about whisky tasting and Lulu.

And what's with putting in Fitz. A programme where the main actor died years ago is being punted as "new". Get a grip. Cheap, nasty telly.

Taggart died a death when Jackie Reid joined. Rubbish actress.
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Glesga_Steve » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:18 pm

Fat Cat wrote:Taggart died a death when Jackie Reid joined. Rubbish actress.

I agree, Jackie Reid is a terrible actress.

Alex Norton is even worse though - there really should be a murder when it comes to him. Not too bad in other programmes I've seen him in but he only does one facial expression/tone of voice on Taggart.

They should have chucked it after Mark McManus - he WAS Taggart.
Glesga_Steve
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:30 pm

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bcuk10 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:08 am

sorry to disagree, I like Taggart it has good story lines and of course good glasgow location shoots which adds interest to the show. :)

I like other police shows the Bill which stv have already moved to itv3 this is another loss to stv, their going down hill fast.

I have ITV1 which on my virgin box (ntl) is still STV and i have ITV2 ITV3 but i cant get the Bill i live in Glasgow and was wondering why i cant get it on my digital box?

(STV's programming policy is odd to say the least. It seem they think all Scots want to watch is things about whisky tasting and Lulu.)
I agree keep this for sunday afternoons not prime time tv :evil:
bcuk10
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby stunev » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:36 am

If you have NTL/Virgin Meeja then you should have the ITV Audio Description channel (853).

The ITV Network feed from London is on that and you can happily watch all the programmes that the miserable STV have ditched like The Bill and Midsummer Murders.

Even though the channel is called Audio Description you must need special equipment to get it so you don't actually get a voice over on the programmes.
stunev
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Fat Cat » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:32 am

bcuk10 wrote:(STV's programming policy is odd to say the least. It seem they think all Scots want to watch is things about whisky tasting and Lulu.)
I agree keep this for sunday afternoons not prime time tv :evil:

well if you're really lucky, STV might bring back Lavinia Derwent and Molly Weir extolling the virtues of black leading the grate or chalking the close stairs. Ah, them was the days. you wait, Weir's Way will be back in prime time soon (as good as it was, it ain't prime time)
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tedmaul » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:37 am

I understand they're refusing to show Lewis in prime-time and are running Scottish 'classics' under the belief that there are people in Scotland who haven't seen Gregory's Girl.

A strange company going through strange times. I really wonder what all this 'we're Scottish and we live in Scotland' pish is all about.
Jim Hacker: "Are you saying that winking at corruption is government policy?"
Sir Humphrey: "No, no, Minister. It could never be government policy. That is unthinkable. Only government practice."
tedmaul
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Lone Groover » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:49 am

tedmaul wrote:A strange company going through strange times. I really wonder what all this 'we're Scottish and we live in Scotland' pish is all about.

Would this be the first company to sabotage itself, reduce its market value and get bought out on the cheap ?????
"Work hard, Rock Hard, Eat hard, Sleep hard, Grow big, Wear glasses if you need 'em"
Flickr photos - If you can stand them !
www.flickr.com/photos/davetrott/
Lone Groover
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Fat Cat » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:11 am

Lone Groover wrote:
tedmaul wrote:A strange company going through strange times. I really wonder what all this 'we're Scottish and we live in Scotland' pish is all about.

Would this be the first company to sabotage itself, reduce its market value and get bought out on the cheap ?????

I thought the same thing. Very odd times at STV indeed. Will we see a return of Take the High Road and Garnock Way?
Fat Cat
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby bcuk10 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:26 am

stunev wrote:If you have NTL/Virgin Meeja then you should have the ITV Audio Description channel (853).

The ITV Network feed from London is on that and you can happily watch all the programmes that the miserable STV have ditched like The Bill and Midsummer Murders.

Even though the channel is called Audio Description you must need special equipment to get it so you don't actually get a voice over on the programmes.

Hi
Thanks for that i went to (853) and watched Midsummer Murders, and i am looking forward to the Bill tonight. :)
I also watched the last two episodes of the Bill on channel (116) ITV3 last night. :D
ps keep TAGGART on our screens
bcuk10
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:25 pm

bcuk10,

I like Taggart too and my OH has recorded a whole load of old episodes with Mark McManus on Alibi.
Watch The Bill but the number of deaths in Midsummer is so high can't help feel the village population must be into single figures by now. Don't really watch it these days.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)