Taggart to go?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Taggart to go?

Postby onyirtodd » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:30 am

Scotland's luvvies will be dealt a shattering blow if Taggart, the long-running police drama, is axed by ITV as is now feared, according to the head of Scottish Screen.

http://news.scotsman.com/entertainment/ ... 5048851.jp
238 to 127. All in all a good afternoon's work
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Taggart to go?

Postby mr moto » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:24 pm

I am amazed that it has lasted so long ! I stopped watching it when Mark Mc Manus died ( the real taggart )'
even back when mark was doing it ' the show was already getting tired 'predicable and formulaic .
mr moto
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lord lucan » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:37 pm

yes, well past its sell by date, lost appeal after mark mcmanus died. I do think that there should be some replacement series with fresh faces to liven it up, what about the guy who played the detective in river city for the lead
Still lucan for me
lord lucan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby onyirtodd » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:39 pm

lord lucan wrote:yes, well past its sell by date, lost appeal after mark mcmanus died. I do think that there should be some replacement series with fresh faces to liven it up, what about the guy who played the detective in river city for the lead

River Shitty is where you go when you're too old, or too shite, for Taggart.
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:09 pm

mr moto wrote:I am amazed that it has lasted so long ! I stopped watching it when Mark Mc Manus died ( the real taggart )'
even back when mark was doing it ' the show was already getting tired 'predicable and formulaic .

Yeah, compare the first few series with the later stuff, even later Mark McManus episodes, no contest. And Livingstone was always the best sidekick.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hazy » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:36 pm

Its the same old faces on all the Scottish TV scene. One of my mates who is not part of the clique in Scottish TV is that pissed off with it all he has just joined the Police. I wonder if his part in Taggert swung it for him.
Thank you. And why not.
hazy
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Delmont St Xavier » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:26 pm

A couple of months ago (or so) one of the Satellite channels transmitted most of the classic episodes of Taggart with the late Mark McManus and ‘Livingstone’. The early episodes were ‘gritty and earthy’ there was a sense that you were doing the ‘detective work’ too.

In contrast, the current episodes are tiresome and despite his growls and sulks Alex Norton is perhaps the nearest to the original Taggart but where is the humour? Remember those one liners that McManus used to come out with “bloody wumman polis.”

It will be a shame to see it go, if this indeed happens for the other star of the show is of course the City of Glasgow. Do folks still sit at home and say, “That’s Maryhill, that’s the Savoy”…?
"Listen, it's too big a world to be in competition with everyone. The only person who I have to be better than is myself. And in your case, that's enough."
Delmont St Xavier
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby glasgowken » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:43 pm

hazy wrote:Its the same old faces on all the Scottish TV scene. One of my mates who is not part of the clique in Scottish TV is that pissed off with it all he has just joined the Police. I wonder if his part in Taggert swung it for him.

It's a bit like those old Australian programmes of the 1970's-80's, same faces popping up on all of them.
GK
glasgowken
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Guitarman » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:27 am

When they started showing the old episodes on the cable channels, it was interesting to see just how many actors turned up repeatedly, playing different parts.

Alex Norton was a murdur victim in an early episode, so it'll be a shame to see it axed. What other city has a Zombie Polis?
Guitarman
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby bcuk10 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:58 am

It will be a shame to see it go, if this indeed happens for the other star of the show is of course the City of Glasgow. Do folks still sit at home and say, “That’s Maryhill, that’s the Savoy”…?

Yes we do :) and thats part of the enjoyment folk get out of Taggart.
I also like the way they try and use some of the newest buildings in the city.
so i for one will miss it. :!:
bcuk10
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby tombro » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:59 am

Ken,

Those same faces from Aussie shows in the 1970's and 1980's are still showing up on local television now (I think it's called the 'Bruce Forsyth Syndrome') !

I enjoy 'Taggart' as a show but, like bcuk10, I was always on the lookout for parts of the Glasgow I left at the end of 1960. I recognised quite a few and the episode that was shot in and around Drumchapel (mentioned on another HG post) actually brought a tear to my eye.

If 'Taggart' does finish, I sincerely hope the television moguls will provide us ex-pats with a suitable substitute where we will be allowed to keep in touch with progressive developments in the city of our birth as well as reminisce when we actually see those rapidly disappearing parts of the city we remember !

Let Glasgow (and Taggart) Flourish !

Tombro :wink:
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !
tombro
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby tedmaul » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:41 am

The production values in Taggart went to pot years ago. I'd be amazed if anyone's career is sustained by Taggart. The shows look hastily put together, badly written and riddled with a 'that'll do' philosophy. Since they cut it down to an hour, a Taggart episode only involves around 45 minutes of filming. There's no way anyone can sustain a career on such scraps.

The management at STV and BBC Scotland need to be sacked forthwith. Both stations are an absolute disgrace for what they make in Scotland and what they broadcast.
Jim Hacker: "Are you saying that winking at corruption is government policy?"
Sir Humphrey: "No, no, Minister. It could never be government policy. That is unthinkable. Only government practice."
tedmaul
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:27 pm

Somebody's filming near the High Street, Base camp is in the car Park the locations is between the Press bar and The College Bar.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby br-cmr » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:32 pm

They've been in high st car park for a few days now. I think they were also in St Vincent st, near george Sq, last week - lots of white arnie clark luton vans loaded with film gear.

might go investigating tomorrow...
br-cmr
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Taggart to go? UPDATE

Postby onyirtodd » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:21 am

Shares in Scottish media group STV slumped 14 per cent yesterday as doubts about the future of its Taggart flagship programme overshadowed what it called a "significant improvement" in advertising revenues.
STV said in a trading update it had not yet received confirmation from broadcaster ITV of a new commission for the longrunning detective series.

http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/busines ... 5407682.jp
onyirtodd
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)