beatles in glasgow

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Re: beatles in glasgow

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:04 pm

Beatleken wrote:The Beatles in Scotland is a cracking book. Some of the pictures are brilliant. The Glasgow stuff is really interesting. It's been pretty well researched and there's a lot of new bits and pieces in there. I hear the guy work for the Evening Times. Fair play, he's done his homework.

He borrowed a hell of a lot (including the title) from the BBC programme aired in the nineties,. For some reason he forgot to mention that in the credits.
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hambone » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:46 pm

that photo of the concert hall looks to be the answer,would this be across the road from the Buttery restaurant in Argyle st? round about McIntyre st Grace st, where the buildings are currently being demolished?
hambone
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby dimairt » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:06 am

Anyone got a spoon for this humble pie? I've had a wee look at the Beatles /Roy Orbison thing and I'm half-right....
The tour started off with the Big O top of the bill but as Beatlemania grew he stepped aside. By the time they were playing Glasgow, the Fabs were top of the bill: George Harrison recalled having to follow after him. See link to a great Beatles site.

Le durachd,
Eddy
http://www.beatlesbible.com/1963/05/18/ ... y-orbison/
"Although Orbison was at the top of the bill, he was soon demoted to second place due to the audience reaction to The Beatles.
We soon took over as top of the bill. We had to come on after Roy. They had a trick in those theatres where they would close some of the curtains on the stage so we could set up behind them while the other bloke was still out there doing his tunes. I can't remember where his backing group was, but Roy would be out there every night and at the end he'd be singing, 'She's walking back to me, do do do do da do do-do...' And the audience would go wild. We'd be waiting there and he'd do another big encore and we'd be thinking, 'How are we going to follow this?' It was really serious stuff.
George Harrison
Anthology"
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Beatleken » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:09 pm

I don't think it's fair to slag the guy over the title of the book. What else should he have called it...a dissertation on roast pig as four singing Scousers take their first tentative steps along the long and winding road to success north of Carlisle. Don't think so. Anyway, you're missing the point klutz. Bottom line is it's a pretty good book, the best on the band for a long time. The best bits are maybe the interviews with Donovan, Hamish Stuart and Lulu and Jackie Stewart. But I loved the whole thing. I believe in Yesterday...
Beatleken
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby cumbo » Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:41 am

Your a fine one to talk about credits yourself dexter.
cumbo
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:09 pm

I got McNab's book from the library today and, as a Beatles fan, enjoyed it. There is one major howler though where he talks about the crowd that gathered outside the Central Station hotel where they were staying after a Glasgow gig.
He illustrates this with a double-page photo captioned: "Glasgow's Central Hotel comes under siege from hundreds of fans after word leaks out that they are staying there." (p104-5) This is the photo he uses. Mr McNab is described as "a journalist with the Evening Times."

Le durachd,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dexter St. Clair » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:56 pm

What say you, Beatleken? Could you have a word with Ken McNab?
"I before E, except after C" works in most cases but there are exceptions.
Dexter St. Clair
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:02 am

I've added a few snaps for Mr McNab to use in the paperback edition. If he wants a list of corrections, he can PM me.

Le durachd,

Eddy

dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby hambone » Sat May 30, 2009 12:02 pm

the picture in the book is obviously glasgow cross ,ithink it was taken on the day of the last trams in glasgow which was september62 i think so he got the era right i suppose but you expect more accuracy from an esteemed journo!
hambone
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Mori » Sat May 30, 2009 1:00 pm

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Sat May 30, 2009 11:06 pm

hambone wrote:the picture in the book is obviously glasgow cross ,ithink it was taken on the day of the last trams in glasgow which was september62 i think so he got the era right i suppose but you expect more accuracy from an esteemed journo!

Esteemed? He works for the Evening Times. Yes, the picture is Glasgow Cross on the last night of the trams. I must say though that the contributions from fans and onlookers in the book are enjoyable.

Le durachd,
Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Beatleken » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:50 pm

Had a word with my esteemed pal Mr McNab. He is, of course, falling on his cutlass re the pic. He blames it on the Evening times picture library cocking up a caption. Still, no excuses, ha ha. But it doesn't ruin what is a pretty good Beatle book methinks.
Beatleken
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby dimairt » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:44 am

I hope to see Mr McNab and any HG-ers at my talk in the Mitchell on Thursday, 8th October. (See What's On for details).
There will be lots of Beatle stuff!

Le durachd,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Mori » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:51 pm

I can only find this clip on you tube. :|

Mori
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby dimairt » Tue Sep 18, 2012 9:33 pm

Congrats to Mr. McNab on the paperback version of "The Beatles in Scotland" sans picture of the last night at the trams. It's a really enjoyable book.

Durachdan,

Eddy
dimairt
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

PreviousNext

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)