No. 38 bus mystery

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

No. 38 bus mystery

Postby Quality Mince » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:12 pm

Can anyone explain why there are so many number 38 buses that run from Glasgow City Centre??

Is it that when a new bus company starts a service from Glasgow to the surrounding area, it is automatically given the number 38??

The Little Spinter which runs to Eastwood Toll is a 38. However, the First Bus that runs to Woodfarm is also a 38!! I’m sure there is a 38 which runs to Paisley.

It seems that every bus stop in Renfield Street has some sort of 38 service!!?

Do all the 38 buses secretly meet up somewhere we don’t know about??
Quality Mince
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: No. 38 bus mystery

Postby Josef » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:18 pm

There are two 38 services that run to Paisley. Arriva (the expensive one) and Dixons (the suspension-free one).
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby red_kola » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:39 pm

And does it go down Pollokshaws Road or not?
Destroy All Monsters
red_kola
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby nuttytigger » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:42 pm

there is plenty of first 38s going to giffnock during the day but after 6pm trying to come back is a nightmare - we've been at the bus stop for 30 mins+ some nights - they all go past not in service even tho the timetable says every 10 mins or better.

one friday night 8 went past not in service and because we have a first card we have to wait on a first bus - yes we could the sprinter or the stagecoach number 4 but i grudge paying money when i have a valid ticket

:evil: :x

aslo as i fou nd out yesterday it goes down pollokshaws rd to shawlands cross at the granary pub then goes down kilmarnock rd
nuttytigger
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peetabix » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:45 pm

The 38 from City Centre to Garthamlock has always been really busy and there is loads of them.

Not too sure about the other direction though.
Peetabix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:19 pm

If only it was quality mince that was posted.

lets step back and think about this...
(1) loads of buses = demand for a service (or lots of SPT funding)
(2) Confusing numbering - to mess people about who can't fathom the difference between the last bus and a shitty sprinter.
(3) The proper old corporation 38 is not on every bus stop in union street, helpfully on the bus stops are little signs that say Arriva 38, or First Bus 38, these are little hints as to who stops at the stop.
(4) The original bus that went from Millerston to Rouken Glen was the number 8, I presume along the way a 3 was placed in front of the number and other companies borrowed the numbering.
(5) SPT should do some systematic bus route numbering instead of PR guff about 2014 transport
(6) Gawd give me a tunnel thread please
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Quality Mince » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:14 pm

My Kitten,
how come you know all about Glasgow's array of no. 38 busses?? Impressive!!

I take your point that there are loads of busses in Glasgow today, particularly of the no. 38 variety. There are also loads of non-38 numbers!! So why is the Arriva 38 not be called the 39 and the Little Sprinter not called the 40? Yes, of course it confuses the hell out of everyone when every other bus passing through Glasgow city centre is a no. 38, but not the one that you want because you want to go to Paisley and not to Giffnock!! But why should we, the bus travelling public, be victim of this no. 38 bus confusion?

I say boycott all no. 38 busses and take the car instead.

And just to make matters more confusing, I saw a no. 38 C today!!?? Where the f*** does that go??
Quality Mince
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:19 pm

Quality Mince wrote:My Kitten,
how come you know all about Glasgow's array of no. 38 busses?? Impressive!!

I take your point that there are loads of busses in Glasgow today, particularly of the no. 38 variety. There are also loads of non-38 numbers!! So why is the Arriva 38 not be called the 39 and the Little Sprinter not called the 40? Yes, of course it confuses the hell out of everyone when every other bus passing through Glasgow city centre is a no. 38, but not the one that you want because you want to go to Paisley and not to Giffnock!! But why should we, the bus travelling public, be victim of this no. 38 bus confusion?

I say boycott all no. 38 busses and take the car instead.

And just to make matters more confusing, I saw a no. 38 C today!!?? Where the f*** does that go??

Im a bus geek in my spare time ;) (and part time train line geek/shoe geek etc etc)

Ah the bra bus aka the 38C no idea as I don't venture far east often but southside it goes to Woodfarm instead of Crookfur. Should just be a 38 and thats it.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MungoDundas » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:22 pm

Was it maybe about five years or so back that some common good outfit funded a Dutch research company to prove that a computer based 'where's my bus?' scheme might work in Glasgow?

I recall last year in Bournemouth one could text the bus stop number to central office & get a reply with details of the next four buses (varoius companies) by return.

MungoDundas
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:30 pm

MungoDundas wrote:Was it maybe about five years or so back that some common good outfit funded a Dutch research company to prove that a computer based 'where's my bus?' scheme might work in Glasgow?

I recall last year in Bournemouth one could text the bus stop number to central office & get a reply with details of the next four buses (varoius companies) by return.

Quite a few of the Glasgow bus stops on the main routes have indicators that (theoretically) do this for First Bus services.

Not, er, entirely reliable, but ok most of the time.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Peetabix » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:56 pm

The Fort
Peetabix
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby mrsam » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:28 pm

Yer all wrong :wink: 38 goes from Stirling to Edinburgh via Falkirk and Linlithgow as any fule know 8O

How many 38's are there in scotland (is the secret hidden 38 bus route conspirecy?) :)

Mr Sam
Hmmm I wonder what happens if i press that lever.... Ahh It operates that shiny new plug socket!

www..photobucket.com/albums/ll103/thecuriocollector

www..photobucket.com/albums/v195/tarbat2003
mrsam
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby lord lucan » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:28 pm

nuttytigger wrote:there is plenty of first 38s going to giffnock during the day but after 6pm trying to come back is a nightmare - we've been at the bus stop for 30 mins+ some nights - they all go past not in service even tho the timetable says every 10 mins or better.

one friday night 8 went past not in service and because we have a first card we have to wait on a first bus - yes we could the sprinter or the stagecoach number 4 but i grudge paying money when i have a valid ticket

:evil: :x

aslo as i fou nd out yesterday it goes down pollokshaws rd to shawlands cross at the granary pub then goes down kilmarnock rd

there are loads of 'sorry im not in service' buses where are they going? its not as if you see them in the adjoining streets of a bus garage.
I understand a zonecard will hold you in good stead for sprinters, and stagecoach buses
Still lucan for me
lord lucan
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Josef » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:47 pm

lord lucan wrote:there are loads of 'sorry im not in service' buses where are they going? its not as if you see them in the adjoining streets of a bus garage.
I understand a zonecard will hold you in good stead for sprinters, and stagecoach buses

A particularly popular option on the number 9 service, post 4 p.m. Hearsay suggests that there is a maximum permitted number of working hours per day, and the drivers of said services have reached said limits. Although it doesn't seem to prevent them driving an empty bus.

And your understanding is correct. In this instance.
Josef
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)