Hillhousemuir Road, EDIT: Househillmuir Road

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Hillhousemuir Road, EDIT: Househillmuir Road

Postby missjcapulet » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:29 pm

(I wondered if anyone could give me any information about Hillhousemuir Road? My great grandmother, Christina Love Wilson Muir, lived there, and my mother's early childhood memories consist of visiting her in this road. This would have been around 1950 onwards. I can see from some pics that the houses were semi-detached and terraced, and my mum thinks Christina lived in a flat?
I would love any information on this place, i.e What the site was before it was built - Were there any shops in the road, etc. Thank you so much in advance, and by the way this site is excellent!
missjcapulet
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Hillhousemuir Road

Postby Alex Glass » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:52 pm

I think you mean Househillmuir Road. There are only a couple of tenements in this street.

Before the area was built up it would have been open fields. I will try and find some photos of the tenements for you.

Househillmuir Road runs north to south from the Cowglen Road to a deadend near Nitshill Road. Ut runs parallel with Peat Road. There is a primary school called Househillmuir but it was built in the 1970's. It was built on the site of the Nitshill Brickworks which were just off Househillmuir Road.

Hope your mum remembers some of the details above.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Hillhousemuir Road

Postby My Kitten » Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:39 pm

I don't know that area myself, Mr Glass is your best bet here!

Have you tried Virtual Mitchel?l, the Pollok Kist Museum? These are probably your best bet for online information.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Re: Hillhousemuir Road, EDIT: Househillmuir Road

Postby missjcapulet » Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:00 pm

Hi again thanks for your reply, i have since seen some photos of houses/flats with flat roofs where i think she lived. i reckon they might have been knocked down as, as far as i can see on google earth there is two flat roofed places but these face peat raod. the virtual mitchell and the museum links are brilliant though ! Thanks again :D
:D
missjcapulet
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Alex Glass » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:34 pm

Both Househillmuir Road and Househillwood Road run parallel with Peat Road. There were a few flat roofed tenements on Househillwood Road which is part of Craigbank. These house had peaked roof put on about 12 years ago but nearly all have been demolished.

I have a couple of photos of Craigbank which I will post later.

This photo shows some of the tenements in Craigbank. If you look to the middle left of the photo you cn see the houses on Drumbeg Drive which didn't get the new roofs.

This photo shows roughly the same area without the tenements.

Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby kirkyguy » Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:42 pm

there are some flats just after priesthill road two diff kinds the old tenement style then just further up there are the new style housing
kirkyguy
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:22 pm

I remember 2 or 3 blocks of tenements in the inshot between Ravenscraig Dv and Glenmuir Dv on the Househillmuir Rd , but don`t remember if they were flat roofs :?
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:43 pm

They were flat roofs and there is a full block running from Househillmuir Road to Glenmuir Drive onto Linnhead Drive and back along Ravenscraig Drive back to Househillmuir. They were sold to Barrett about 25 years ago. They were modernised and sold as private flats - Studio, 1 and 2 bedroom flats. As part of the renovation they got new roofs.

Over on Househillwood Road there is only one block of tenements left. It is located behind St Robert's Church. It is out of the picture in the second photo above. The other flats can be seen in the first photo but the church obscures the view of the last remaining tenement. I am sure I have some photos somewhere. But not of the tenements further up Househillwood. The new houses are in the block of Househillwood Road, Glentyn Drive, Bankbrae Street and Glenlora Drive. These houses were built by Rosehill Housing Co-op. If you take a look on the Pollok Househill, Hurlet thead on here in the discussion about the Glenlora cottages there is a photo of these new houses on Glenlora Drive.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Alex Glass » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:24 pm

Found a couple of photos of the last remaining tenement in Craigbank.

This block originally had no roof. It is located on Househillwood Road almost directly behind St Robert's Church which is on Peat Road next to Arnold Clark which was previously known as Peat Road Motors.

Scaryman2u mentioned the tenements that are on Househillmuir Road. The one which is set back from the road is strange in that it is the rear of the property which faces out onto Houshillmuir Road the balconies are located at the back so you actually enter the back close from the street.
Alex Glass
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scaryman2u » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:47 pm

Alex Glass wrote:Found a couple of photos of the last remaining tenement in Craigbank.

Scaryman2u mentioned the tenements that are on Househillmuir Road. The one which is set back from the road is strange in that it is the rear of the property which faces out onto Houshillmuir Road the balconies are located at the back so you actually enter the back close from the street.

Brockburn Rd, Linthaugh Rd and Dormanside Rd tenements were the same Alex a mish mash of verandahs at front and back and seemingly at random :?
scaryman2u
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby neilmc » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:00 pm

The blocks were actually built so that the verandahs faced either south or west where possible, so that the residents could enjoy the benefits (or otherwise) of sunlight.

Here's one of my photos from another thread, showing a glimpse of the tenements on Househillmuir Road, behind the wee wifie: grim winter scene, 1978/79. Their verandahs faced south:-

neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Bootsie » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:51 pm

Wow!! What memories. Former name was Anne Hughes. I lived in Newfield Square from 1959 to 1964 when I came to Canada. Would love to hear from some of my old pals. Carol Sloan, Joseph Fleming(loove of my life when I was 10,11), Priscilla Short(best friend), Rita Gallagher. I have great memories of the place and Glenlora Drive, Peat Road, St . Robert's parish all bring back great memories. Would love to hear from anyone who remembers me during that time.
Bootsie
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby robertpool » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:06 pm

"My great grandmother, Christina Love Wilson Muir"

was this her maiden or married name?
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby anneannielouise » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:21 pm

I used to live in Newfield Square too - we moved to Wales in 1962. I went to St Roberts Primary. I remember it as a nice place to live and everyone had a bit of garden - my dad grew veggies there. There were woods around the back and the stream - we used to play there a lot.
anneannielouise
Just settling in
Just settling in

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)