Who was Procurator Fiscal in late 1880s?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Who was Procurator Fiscal in late 1880s?

Postby Jane Harris » Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:54 am

Hello there, I'm trying to find out the name of the person who was Procurator Fiscal of Glasgow in the years 1888, 1889 and 1890. Does anybody out there know, or know where exactly I might be able to find a list of previous Fiscals?
Jane Harris
Just settling in
Just settling in

Re: Who was Procurator Fiscal in late 1880s?

Postby Ronnie » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:26 pm

George Neilson (1858-1923), the lawyer and historian was elected as procurator fiscal of Glasgow in 1891.

This from http://www.copfs.gov.uk/News/Historical/GeorgeNeilson

I guess the Post Office Directory for each year, in the Mitchell Library, would have this.
Or the annual directory of Glasgow solicitors.
Or leaf through the newspapers for the period (the online Scotsman index wasn't helpful).

You could try asking (I know that the procurators in the name aren't the fiscals, but they do have a library) the Royal Faculty of Procurators in Glasgow: http://www.rfpg.org
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Dot » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:31 pm

I am not sure if there is anything of use to you on here.

http://www.copfs.gov.uk/News/Historical

Sorry about that I think Ronnie beat me to it.
Dot
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby robertpool » Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:33 am

1893 Procurator Fiscal for the City, George Neilson
1893 Procurator Fiscal for the Justices of the Peace, J.M. Threshie

sorry it's the best l can do
robertpool
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Jane Harris » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:52 am

Thanks all, no full answers here, but I've sent an email to the Fiscal's office, using that link - very useful.

Jane
Jane Harris
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Ronnie » Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:21 pm

A trip to the Mitchell reveals that John Lang was Procurator Fiscal of the Burgh Court, the River Bailie Court and the Dean of Guild Court in the three years you mention. His office was at 74 Hutcheson Street and his home address was 108 Douglas Street. Donald McPhail was the Police Procurator Fiscal in those years, and his office was in the Central Police Chambers, home 4 Kirklee Road, Kelvinside. This is from the Post Office Directory for Glasgow, 1887-88, 1888-89 and 1889-90.
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Jane Harris » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:12 am

Blimey! Thanks Ronnie. I hope you had another reason to be in the library. It's probably McPhail, the Police PF who interests me. That's incredibly helpful, as I am nowhere near Glasgow and won't be up there for a good while to come. Isn't the Mitchell brilliant? I am forever looking at their photo collection online. Thanks again - I'd have been stumped otherwise.
Jane Harris
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Jane Harris » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:15 am

Ronnie - is that you? If I'm not mistaken, McPhail lived not a stone's throw away from yersel . . . am a wrang?
Jane Harris
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Vinny the Mackem » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:09 pm

Presumably 74 Hutcheson Street was part of the old Sheriff Court building ... Rab Ha's is no 81 Hutcheson Street. Don't know if they still exist after redevelopment, but there were certaily a couple of old entrances on Hutcheson Street, which were clearly not a "main foyer" type entrance - more of a small doorway.
Vinny the Mackem
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Jane Harris » Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:59 pm

Yes, looks like that might have been the back of the old court houses, according to a map I have dated 1913.
Jane Harris
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby Shardonnay » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:05 pm

fascinating ? I have a fair amount of knowledge about current day fiscal's alas even at my age I have no idea about The PF in Glasgow circa 1880 however do have fairly extensive knowledge about the prosecution service in modern times. so feel free to get in touch. I have had privy to perusing some very old criminal records. No not the beatles :) x
Shardonnay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby enailer » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:24 am

Its a wee bit late too try and slip the PF a wee bung noo is it no?? Try the street at the back of the Sheriff court they have books of "who done who".
Lookin out through a Whisky coloured haze
enailer
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:49 pm

Jane Harris wrote:Blimey! Thanks Ronnie. I hope you had another reason to be in the library. It's probably McPhail, the Police PF who interests me. That's incredibly helpful, as I am nowhere near Glasgow and won't be up there for a good while to come. Isn't the Mitchell brilliant? I am forever looking at their photo collection online. Thanks again - I'd have been stumped otherwise.

I was in the Mitchell for a meeting. As always, I had a wee list of things to look up when I was there. Anthing else you waould like checked there, let me know.
Last edited by Ronnie on Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:49 pm

Jane Harris wrote:Ronnie - is that you? If I'm not mistaken, McPhail lived not a stone's throw away from yersel . . . am a wrang?

It's me. Just round the corner, yes.
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:51 pm

Vinny the Mackem wrote:Presumably 74 Hutcheson Street was part of the old Sheriff Court building ... Rab Ha's is no 81 Hutcheson Street. Don't know if they still exist after redevelopment, but there were certaily a couple of old entrances on Hutcheson Street, which were clearly not a "main foyer" type entrance - more of a small doorway.

The big block that is the former Sherrif Court at one time housed the Town Council Offices, the Merchant's Hall *and* the Sherrif Court. The two PFs were employed by the council, so would have been housed in the Town Council bit of the building. Hope that helps.
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Next

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)