PU prints

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

PU prints

Postby toomse » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:17 pm

Do any of the community here have access to Public Utility prints?
PU prints highlight ALL footway/carriageway services

This would be a major aid to identifying the location of tunnels/route of the Molendinar etc
toomse
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: PU prints

Postby Vinegar Tom » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:45 pm

The Scottish Water drawings can be used to follow the Molendinar from the Great Eastern heading South. There is no detail between the above ground section and the next ( presumably ?) mapped section in the College Goods Yard where a manhole is shown with a continuous route ( shown in green as opposed to black or red ) to The Clyde. From Bell Street , the OS peck detail indicates a tunnel as far as James Morrison Street via: Molendinar Street, Gallowgate , St Andrew's Lane and London Road. From James Morrison Street it proceeds via Turnbull Street and Glasgow Green to outfall in the Clyde.

The last bit conflicts with information I have read elsewhere , so I stand to be corrected. :?
Glasgow ya bas!
Vinegar Tom
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby scoobydoo » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:49 pm

I would have thought Glasgow City Council have plans which show the route of this watercourse. Extensive drainage studies have been carried out by GCC/ Scottish Water and I'm certain this would extend north of the Great Eastern. Perhaps a FoI request would produce some drawings etc
scoobydoo
First Stripe
First Stripe

Postby BenCooper » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:18 pm

I've had a go at mapping the course, basically by counting steps and guessing at the angles of corners - not easy down there :D

Basically, it curves down under the goods yard to the top of Molindenar Street, down that street to Gallowgate, then straight across under London Road to St. Andrews Square, then I think it heads for the high courts. It definitely exits at the courts, but the last section is not passable so it's hard to say what it does. On my map, it doesn't go down Turnbull St., but that actually makes more sense - the Camlachie Burn goes under Greendyke St., and the Molendinar is passable for a reasonable distance after the junction - this must be under Glasgow Green as it heads for the courts.

If only GPS worked underground :P
www.transientplaces.co.uk
BenCooper
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:35 am

I'm guessing what "public utility prints"/ "PU prints" are, but Google has no knowledge of them ... are they called something else? Who might have access to them? Who collates and maintains them? What access would the pubic have to them? Is there a PU prints FAQ somewhere? Thanks.
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby toomse » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:51 pm

PU prints are the diagrams held by the major service companies – Gas, Water, Electricity, Comms & Local Council. In the past I’ve seen combined prints but now you have to apply to each company separately.

Ronnie, I’ll use the unusual air vent you highlighted to me outside the Savoy Centre as an example (still working on getting Local Council prints for this location)

GAS

WATER

POWER

COMMS DUCT
toomse
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:52 pm

Thanks, toomse. So anyone can ask the gas/ phone/ electricity companies for a print?
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby toomse » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:08 pm

afraid not - I obtained these surreptitiously
toomse
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:25 pm

Thanks. It's all becoming clearer ...
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby toomse » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:42 am

additional info

Any footway/carriageway excavations undertaken by the major service companies or their sub contractors regardless of how minor require PU prints. This is in case an individual drills through a water main, high power cable etc. Diagrams are held and accessed by each company but are not available to the general public. Detailed info can be found on the HSE web site.

here’s a brief quote:
Avoiding Danger from Underground Services

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) publish a series of guidance documents for those who have duties under the Health and Safety at Work etcetera Act 1974 and other relevant information. The relevant document for safe digging is HS (G)47 "Avoiding Danger from Underground Services", ISBN O 11 885492 5, and is available from HMSO.
The HS(G) series gives guidance on the practical application of legislation, but should not be regarded as an authoritative interpretation of the law.
HS(G)47 is a comprehensive document covering all buried services and utility apparatus, which states that "It deals only with risks to health and safety and is not concerned with damage, which has no attendant risk".

In addition to PU prints it’s also standard to conduct a high pressure pipeline search
http://www.linesearch.org/

It’s also standard to include a Symology search that indicates traffic sensitivity info
http://srwr.symology.net/

I didn’t expect to go into so much detail at the start of this thread and don’t have direct access to these systems myself. I only intended a general query to members who may have access to one of the Service Providers systems (particularly Water) as this would be a great advantage.

Hope this helps
toomse
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:28 pm

I used to get them quite frequently in a previous employment, just a letter with a map showing the area that we wanted and a package would appear soonafter.
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby toomse » Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:45 pm

interpreting duct prints

box types

cabinet types
toomse
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby toomse » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:31 pm

Anyone wondering what the abbreviations on the OS maps are here’s a link to an A-Z guide

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsi ... ons.html#a
toomse
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)