Thornliebank History help

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Thornliebank History help

Postby pinkthistle1 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:30 am

Hi
Ive got an ancestor birth record saying he was born at Tanhill Cottages Thornliebank around 1857. Both parents work was related to printworks. Do Tanhill cottages still exist or does anyone know anything about them? Were they millworkers houses and if so which mill? Is there anywhere I could search for old photos.
Thanks
pinkthistle1
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Re: Thornliebank History help

Postby neilmc » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:51 pm

neilmc
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Anorak » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:10 pm

The Thornliebank Dye Print and Bleachworks with its little branch line from the railway dominated the whole area, as the contemporary 1850’s map shows.

The workers rows would have been integral with the works but unfortunately none of them are named in the map.
I had a look at the maps for the areas surrounding Thornliebank and discovered it to be mostly rural with isolated houses with familiar names such as “Carnwadrick” and “Robslee”.

The heritage web site discovered by neilmac has a couple of interesting pictures of the plant and railway in its heyday and the ruins after it was flattened.

I liked this old picture of the workforce looking suitably glum for the camera.
Anorak
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby pinkthistle1 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:10 pm

Thanks, I had a look on there, i know the area quite well now anyway, I used to live quite nearby..but have never seen anywhere called Tanhill...i was just working on a hunch as I know the parents were connected with mills, she was a thread worker and he was a dyer, Was there ever a tannery in the area?
pinkthistle1
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Anorak » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:29 am

Post deleted
Last edited by Anorak on Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anorak
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:11 pm

Your ancestors probably worked in the Calico Printing Works owned by the Crum family. There were 344 people employed in calico printing in Thornliebank in 1845 (New Statistical Account). Check the booklet "Crum's Land: A History of Thornliebank" published by Eastwood District Libraries in 1988 (available in the Mitchell and no doubt the local library, recently seen for £1 in Voltaire and Rousseau, Otago Lane, Glasgow). This also has a list of sources you could follow up. Have you had a look for your ancestors in the 1851 and 1861 censuses? That would give you a clearer idea of the location of their house, as well as other details about the family. There were plenty of photographs in the Eastwood District Libraries collection, which I presume is now in the care of East Renfrewshire. Hope this helps.
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby pinkthistle1 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:55 am

Thanks for all the ideas. The husband was originally from the Gorbals, his wife Pollockshaws, but their kids were all born in Thornliebank then spread out around the south side... the 1861 census you mention only says 151 Tanhill Thornliebank. Their marriage certificate only says usual address Thornliebank and their kids birth certificates say Tanhill Cottages Thornliebank. Ill maybe try contacting the library and asking them, my problem is I live in Spain now and its not so easy to search from here :wink:
pinkthistle1
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Jock58 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:30 am

I asked my Aunt who lives in Thornliebank & she had never heard the name Tanhill. As far as she knows ther's no area with that name now.
I have relations in the 1861 & 1871 census living at Tanhill, but by 1881 they have moved to Newfield place. That's the row behind the Speirsbridge Church.

Looking at the census returns it seems this was the poorer end of the work force with a high percentage of Irish workers. I would guess this was a housing area within the print works themselves.
Jock58
Jock58
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby pinkthistle1 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:21 am

Thanks, your probably right. It only seems to be the first generation that were in Tanhill, all the rest seem to live in or around Main street, though I believe its not the same Main st as today...they moved it.
pinkthistle1
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby Peekay » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:38 pm

There's an odd wee row of cottages just off Burnfield Rd between what was Toffolo tiles and what's still Toffolo Jacksons. They'll be, by my guesstimate, roundabout the East-West line an inch or so from the top. Possibly even the wee row an inch above where it's marked "school" The L-shaped block being bang on where Toffy Tiles was.They're now called Burnfield cottages.

PK
Peekay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby pinkthistle1 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:11 pm

Thanks, im off to have a look on Google earth.
pinkthistle1
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby sharonF » Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:07 pm

I have just discovered a Thornliebank connection too. My grt, grt grandfather, John Lang was born in Thornliebank around 1822/25 . He appears to be a Calico printer but is living in Cottage Row, Mearns with family by 1861 & by 1881 in McLetchies Land, Mearns. Anyone know where these to places might be?
Sharon
sharonF
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby pinkthistle1 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:05 am

Is it definately Cottage Row in Mearns? I have people listed as Cottage Row Nitshill, and then in Cottage row Glasgow rd :roll: I think for me the Nitshill listing is a good bet because of the number of mills around there and also the male was an Iron stone miner and there were a number of pits nearby. I wonder if your Mcletchies Land was where the mill was or the name of the owner of the mill? Did you have a look on the East ren heritage site? lots of info and pics there.
pinkthistle1
Busy bunny
Busy bunny

Postby sharonF » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:34 pm

I now have a picture of McLetchies Land - its in Main Street, Busby, Mearns next to the old library. If I could work out how to insert image here I could show you......

Sharon
sharonF
Just settling in
Just settling in

Postby My Kitten » Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:26 pm

Hi Sharon F,

Tips and pointers on all issues forumlike are HERE

Should be something there to help, if not holler and we'll try to help
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe