Sub Rosa & Ronnie's hidden bits

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

Sub Rosa & Ronnie's hidden bits

Postby Grahame » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:00 pm

Just read the article in today's Herald mag about the Sub Rosa show coming up at the Citz later this month. Fascinating tales of the old theatre - I loved the story of the lion tamer being killed by his lion in dressing room number 7! I had a tour of the route through the building yesterday. Sadly I didn't have my camera with me, but It looks like it'll be a great show and I saw some bits of the theatre that I didn't know about.

Also good to hear from our own Ronnie about other hidden bits and bobs around Scotland. I didn't know about the unexplored South Bridge vaults in Edinburgh, or the Scotland Street - Waverley tunnel.

However, I'm interested in another snippet that Ronnie divulged, about a chorus girl in Edinburgh Festival Theatre (it would have been the Empire at the time presumably) who burnt to death in her dressing room under the stage when her costume caught fire from a candle whilst the show went on above? I'm actually posting this from the very stage of the EFT (they've recently installed Wi-Fi on stage!) during a show, and none of the local crew have heard about this incident. Ronnie, can you shed any more light on that story? Was it part of the Great Lafayette fire, or something different?
Grahame
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: Sub Rosa & Ronnie's hidden bits

Postby HollowHorn » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:17 pm

Very interesting, I'll try to get a copy tomorrow. Ronnie, give a us shout next time you have an article coming out.
HollowHorn
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Ronnie » Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:30 pm

Grahame wrote:However, I'm interested in another snippet that Ronnie divulged, about a chorus girl in Edinburgh Festival Theatre (it would have been the Empire at the time presumably) who burnt to death in her dressing room under the stage when her costume caught fire from a candle whilst the show went on above? I'm actually posting this from the very stage of the EFT (they've recently installed Wi-Fi on stage!) during a show, and none of the local crew have heard about this incident. Ronnie, can you shed any more light on that story? Was it part of the Great Lafayette fire, or something different?

This story is in a panel (on page 17) by Jackie McGlone, not by me. My comments were restricted to Glasgow and the west, including a mention of wur ain wee HG. I talk about St Peter's Seminary, Lennox Castle, Castle Street, the BT tunnel and the Necropolis. Back numbers available from the top of Renfrew Street.
upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart
Ronnie
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:17 am

Standards dropping at teh herald - St Peter's not used - it was used for 14 years!, closing due to the Second Vatican Council's abandonment of the Council of Trent principles of isolation.

and no photo of ronnie either!
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby JayKay » Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:49 pm

My Kitten wrote:Standards dropping at teh herald - St Peter's not used - it was used for 14 years!, closing due to the Second Vatican Council's abandonment of the Council of Trent principles of isolation.

Aye, that was the talk of the dining table on Sunday . :roll:
*value of posts can go down as well as up.
JayKay
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby My Kitten » Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:47 pm

JayKay wrote:
My Kitten wrote:Standards dropping at teh herald - St Peter's not used - it was used for 14 years!, closing due to the Second Vatican Council's abandonment of the Council of Trent principles of isolation.

Aye, that was the talk of the dining table on Sunday . :roll:

I know imagine not putting a photo of ronnie on it, terrible :D
My Kitten
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)