What was the Sea King seeking?

Moderators: John, Sharon, Fossil, Lucky Poet, crusty_bint, Jazza, dazza

What was the Sea King seeking?

Postby retired tiger » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:40 pm

Spotted above Kelvingrove Park today, a Navy Sea King Search and rescue chopper having a very good look into the river Kelvin. I hope nobody had fallen in.
retired tiger
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Re: What was the Sea King seeking?

Postby Alan L » Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:50 pm

Spotted this heading south west over Battlefield earlier.

I've spotted Chinnoks overhead in Glasgow a few times, so didn't think anything untoward was going on.
Alan L
Second Stripe
Second Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:55 pm

I fear that someone may well have fallen in. I can't think why you'd call out a SAR helicopter to a city incident unless you needed to winch someone out of trouble.

They're good work-horses, Sea Kings. The navy use them for anti-submarine warfare and the marines make good use of them as troop carriers. The former are known as "pingers" because the spend all day going 'round in circles at 2000 feet monitoring the sonar devices that they drop into the sea. The latter are know as junglies.

Pingers are a nuisance in mid-Somerset where they are based. They spend hours circling above your house and the noise will drive you mad. Junglies are much more fun: they come over the roof-tops and disappear into the trees, making a hell of a racket for about 30 seconds. They'll dry your hair at the same time! :)
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby MotoMad » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:50 am

Alan L wrote:Spotted this heading south west over Battlefield earlier.

I've spotted Chinnoks overhead in Glasgow a few times, so didn't think anything untoward was going on.

Take cover.
crusty_bint wrote: i.e. they're not a bawhair away from Dickensian!
MotoMad
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:36 am

Westland Sea Kings in formation at Yeovilton air day, 2003. They were built just down the road in Yeovil to a design originally developed by Sikorsky. They are now being replaced by the Merlin, I believe.

Up close and very noisy... RAF Chinook, again at Yeovilton 2003. They were based at Odiham in Hampshire if I remember correctly.

I've had a look 'round, but I can't find an aircraft thread. We have one for old cars, but not old flying machines, it would seem.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:40 am

Knew there was a Merlin in the collection. :)

And another.
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:09 pm

Right, see if you want to see a Sea King landing and taking off right in front of you, get to Prestwick golfcourse on (of all days) Christmas morning at round about 9ish.

Every year, HMS Gannet flies 'Santa' to Clic Sargent House ( Links Road, on the way down from Prestwick Town railway station to the beach) to give the kids presents.

Come along, get your pictures, and then when the crew are in the house, walk up and take a close look at the Sea King, they just leave it there as, well, I don't suppose anybody is exactly going to nick it, are they?? ::):

I got to have a nosey at the inside from the large pull back door (they will not let you inside for obvious reasons), and, of course, it was largely empty, just if yer wondering! :roll:

They still keep an eye on it from the house, and, whatever you do, DON'T try to jump and touch the rotors, someone apparently tried it last year and the crew were not at all happy as you'd imagine!!
Damage that thing and you'll have a January credit card bill to remember!!

Take note, that even on Christmas day, they are on call, the helicopter is all prepped to go, and they may have to leave early, or, in fact, they may have to come later in the day.

Then, when they take off again, wave to Santa at the door, as you get your hair messed up by the considerable downdraft!!

Come, you will not be disappointed!!

The one that came last year was XZ920, but it probably will be a different one this year. Maybe one with the big kick ass playing cards painted on it this time, if Gannet has them.
I can always rely on this forum to make myself feel about 10 times worse than I did before
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby BrigitDoon » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:37 pm

Speedbird wrote:I don't suppose anybody is exactly going to nick it, are they??

Thees dussn't know Somerset; me Uncle Buster has back yard full o'them

Speedbird wrote:Damage that thing and you'll have a January credit card bill to remember!!

When I was a kid, Barratt's built a housing estate 'round he corner. Of course, they had that helicopter at the time and were stupid enough to park it where little fingers could quietly dismantle it. A few of us had a flea in the ear and fortunately no-one was hurt and it didn't crash on the way home.

Wouldn't have trusted the air-speed indicator, though, bet that was an interesting landing.! :D
UXB
BrigitDoon
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Postby Speedbird » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:47 pm

::): ::):
I can always rely on this forum to make myself feel about 10 times worse than I did before
Speedbird
Third Stripe
Third Stripe

Return to Glasgow Chat (Coffee Lounge)